O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Dale White wrote:Peaky blinders, missed this so watched the first episode on I player, very good, sort of a poor mans Boardwalk empire set in Brum just after the first world war, only thing is none of the actors can do a Brummie accent.

just got round to watching this, agree with all of the above, i like it a lot, accents abysmal.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Dale White wrote:Peaky blinders, missed this so watched the first episode on I player, very good, sort of a poor mans Boardwalk empire set in Brum just after the first world war, only thing is none of the actors can do a Brummie accent.

just got round to watching this, agree with all of the above, i like it a lot, accents abysmal.
Andymac

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 pm

the flying pig wrote:

Andymac

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:18 pm

the flying pig wrote:

If you think the accents are bad now wait to you hear Adrian (fuckin tooth pick) Brody in the last series. Nearly ruined the series.
Andymac

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

I wonder if Adrien Brody is any good at accents?

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 pm

I am really bad there.
Andymac

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

Next Of Kin - saw first episode last night. A tale of a British-Pakistani doc abducted in Lahore while his nephew back in England goes AWOL, as told from the Brit-based family's viewpoint. Sadly, it's ordinary. Some decent actors in there but clunky direction and script.

Hard Sun - so wanted this to be good, but turns out that it fucks up its scary premise - only five years before the world ends - and becomes an almost bog-standard detective thing. Have lasted three episodes and don't know if Ill go back.

Still enjoying McMafia though. And Spiral.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:57 am

dirty leeds wrote:Hard Sun - so wanted this to be good, but turns out that it fucks up its scary premise - only five years before the world ends - and becomes an almost bog-standard detective thing. Have lasted three episodes and don't know if Ill go back.

Said to the wife after episode 1 that it had the look and feel of one of those things that will go downhill quickly. Thought Aggynyess Dyeyen looked quite convincing though, and the lady MI6 spook scary. Will persevere, for now.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Thought Aggynyess Dyeyen looked quite convincing though...

Aye, she was good.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

Swerved that Deyn thing, glad I did now.

Am waiting on that Britannia thing, sounds worth a go.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:34 am

Sci-Fi fans, that French TV series about going to Mars can be found here: https://www.shudder.com/series/missions ... lsrc=aw.ds

FER

Postby FER » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm

X-Files is back on Ch5
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm

I just caught the start of a new series of Mum. How the fuck have I not come across that before?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:10 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I just caught the start of a new series of Mum. How the fuck have I not come across that before?

I must catch up with that on iplayer, the first series was excellent
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I just caught the start of a new series of Mum. How the fuck have I not come across that before?

Not heard of it either. Just watched. Very funny. First series available on iplayer too.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm

A press release I just received:

Dartmourth Films presents a film by Molly Dineen
ONE WEEK UNTIL MOLLY DINEEN’S BEING BLACKER HITS CINEMAS

· An RTO Picture
· Three years in the tumultuous life of Steve ‘Blacker Dread’ Martin – music producer and figurehead of Brixton’s Jamaican community
· First documentary in 10 years by legendary filmmaker Molly Dineen
· Selected cinemas from 1 March 2018. Broadcast on BBC2, 12 March 2018, 9pm

Steve ‘Blacker Dread’ Martin is a music producer and record shop owner in Brixton, but he’s also an immensely popular, larger-than-life figurehead of South London’s storied Jamaican community.

Being Blacker is legendary filmmaker Molly Dineen’s first documentary for ten years and started when Blacker – whom she first met 37 years ago when he featured in a film she made as a student – asked her to film his beloved mother’s funeral.

What follows is a portrait, in equal measures uplifting, funny, exasperating and tragic, of the challenges, conflicts and quirks of being black in modern Britain.

At the centre of this is Blacker himself; the man whose extraordinary life has seen him experience three generations of educational inequality, racism, cultural isolation, lack of employment opportunities, crime and violence, but also an extraordinary sense of togetherness and community spirit, and a vibrant musical culture which has done so much to shape today’s UK music scene.

Over a period of three years we follow Blacker and his wide circle of family and friends through his incarceration for fraud, his daughter’s wedding, his youngest son’s education in Jamaica, and the spectre of violence and criminality cast over his life by his son’s murder a decade earlier - all recalled in Blacker’s relentlessly charismatic voice, and all of which highlight issues that loom large over Britain’s black communities today.

Molly Dineen is renowned as one of the country’s finest factual film makers, but was still a student when she shot Sound Business in 1981; a film which took her into British incarnations of Jamaica’s infamous Sound Systems, where she first encountered a young Blacker Dread, desperate to make it on the Jamaican music scene.

Being Blacker is shot in Molly’s inimitable first-person style, which was developed through such films as Home from the Hill – about retired colonial British Lieutenant-Colonel Hilary Hook; BAFTA-winner The Ark, about London Zoo; profiles of Tony Blair and Geri Halliwell; and The Lie of the Land – also a BAFTA winner – about British rural life on the eve of the fox hunting ban.

Molly Dineen said: “When I reconnected with Blacker I stepped into another world. He’s a wonderful character who has lived the most incredible life and Being Blacker looks at the social and cultural issues which have forged his path. Blacker Dread as seen in this film could only exist in this extraordinary world where family and music are at the forefront, but racism and violence are also everyday occurrences. And if you think any of these are things of the past in London then Being Blacker will prove eye-opening to say the very least.”

BROADCAST
BBC 2, Monday 12th March 2018, 21:00

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:00 pm

with the miserable cold weather i've found 'a new life in the sun' relatively watchable. seeing people starting businesses in spain and france whets ones appetite for the summer. thing is, it did make me wonder if in india, africa and eastern europe they have 'a new life in the rain' where they follow the fortunes of ambitious people who've moved to the uk. if they haven't they should.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 am

Death Row Chronicles is absolutely gripping.
Not a huge rap fan so knew very little about the backstory of the genre.
Amazing stuff.
Loads of interviews and footage of the main protagonists, the cast list is a who's who of rap ( Dr Dre, Tupac, Snoop, Biggy, ..... and of course Suge Knight)
Ace telly.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:18 am

Mustafaster wrote:Death Row Chronicles is absolutely gripping.

My mate Nick is a big fan of Air Crash Investigates.

But if the programme starts with the pilot being interviewed, he switches off, as it’s ‘not worth watching’...

:lol:
I like it. What is it?

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Just finished the 6 part Waco.

Not bad at all.
Andymac

Return to “The Square Ball”