O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Andymac-47

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Peaky Blinders last night. Adrian Brody playing an American/Italian mob boss. He spoilt the fuckin episode. He tried to be Brando in the Godfather. Ballbag.
Andymac

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Came across BBC2 re-showing League of Gentlemen last night.

Which was nice.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Came across BBC2 re-showing League of Gentlemen last night.

Which was nice.

Me too. Excellent still.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:02 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Came across BBC2 re-showing League of Gentlemen last night.

Which was nice.

I recommended it to my daughter as I have the dvds. She loves it. I’m proud and concerned.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 pm

League of Gentlemen's one of them things that just gets better with age.
Fucking brilliant acting, scripts insane and tight as fuck, the visual gags, costumes, the lot. A proper yardstick.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:League of Gentlemen's one of them things that just gets better with age.
Fucking brilliant acting, scripts insane and tight as fuck, the visual gags, costumes, the lot. A proper yardstick.

A very silly thing stands out in my memory. I think there's an episode or section in the second or third series which opens with a couple of characters walking down a hospital corridor and in the background, Mike King, the hospital radio DJ says something like, "This next one's for ( . . . ) who's 14 and here for a termination: it's The Bay City Rollers with Bye Bye Baby".

It's like it's just a minor aside, not even the point of the scene, but's just brilliantly dark as fuck.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:40 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Man Called Sun wrote:League of Gentlemen's one of them things that just gets better with age.

A very silly thing stands out in my memory. I think there's an episode or section in the second or third series which opens with a couple of characters walking down a hospital corridor and in the background, Mike King, the hospital radio DJ says something like, "This next one's for ( . . . ) who's 14 and here for a termination: it's The Bay City Rollers with Bye Bye Baby".

It's like it's just a minor aside, not even the point of the scene, but's just brilliantly dark as fuck.

Aye, loads of shit like that. The opening credits had more ideas than most full series.
There's one where a van pulls up with 'Russian doll delivery' or summat written on the side. Doors open, another van pulls out: doors open, another van pulls out...

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:59 am

T’wife really likes the amazon/ch 4 romcom/romdram series ‘catastrophe’. I can’t say I do at all. It's in places moderately original and interesting but... just not… funny enough to stand alone as a comedy & as a male viewer the ‘rom’ aspects leave me cold. It apparently has good reviews & stuff. AIBAC?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:13 am

the flying pig wrote:T’wife really likes the amazon/ch 4 romcom/romdram series ‘catastrophe’. I can’t say I do at all. Just not… funny enough to be a comedy & as a male viewer the ‘rom’ aspects leave me cold. It apparently has good reviews & stuff. AIBAC?

Nah, I tried and thought it's not terrible or anything but not enough there to keep me watching.

In other news, Motherland has been fucking funny in places. Especially the endless cynicism of Philomena Cunk.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Especially the endless cynicism of Philomena Cunk.

In related news, didi you see there's no Wipe this year? Brooker's run out of time - hardly surprising given the sheer volume of shite this year that he'd need to script and edit - but (rejoice!), the 5 part series that is 'Cunk on Britain' is set for 'early 2018'
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 am

Yep, been squirming at Motherland too.
That shite 5live afternoon presenter Nihal Arthanayake, who comes across as an annoying fucking wanker at the best of times, took agin it when it started, criticising it for being "another middle class comedy". Fuck off you wannabe right-on tosspot: first job of any comedy is to be fucking funny, whenever/wherever it's set. And it is. Very. It also has a lot of that excruciatingly embarrassing stuff which Fawlty Towers had about it.
Nihal, you're a cunt and I hope you die.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 am

dirty leeds wrote:Nihal, you're a cunt and I hope you die.

And that, Nihal, is how you deliver a critique :rambo:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 am

Catastrophe is great IMO, probably helps that I think they're both awesome. Oh, and Carrie Fisher. I must be an old softie.

Motherland also great, glad they picked it up, we loved the pilot but expected the cunts to not make it because W1A/Monkey Tennis.

How you fuckers negotiate that nightmare is beyond me. The why too, if I'm honest.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Blackwhite wrote:The why too, if I'm honest.

Primarily, the hope that one of the little cunts will, when we're living in a cardboard box under a bridge with Parkinson's, feel guilty enough to do something about it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Best of luck!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Peaky Blinders last night. Adrian Brody playing an American/Italian mob boss. He spoilt the fuckin episode. He tried to be Brando in the Godfather. Ballbag.

too right. the bloke's comically bad and is killing the series. doesn't help he looks like alaistair macgowan in some low rent skit. :thumbd:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

So, as a kid I loved watching French films on BBC2 - mainly, you will have guessed, in an effort to improve my french language skills and most definitely not the chance of seeing some nudity as the French appeared to me then to be less prudish than us Anglo-Saxons. Having since then been mainly fed a diet of either US or English films and TV I was most pleasantly surprised to have been introduced to The Bureau, all seasons available on Amazon (and other streaming sources of choice), which is a TV series now into its third season. It's about the DGSE (their MI6) and is focussed on personal dilemmas and treachery rather than action (haven't seen a gun fired in anger yet and I'm halfway through season 2).
It's great once again to see the gallic way of doing things with a script. Highly recommended.
One gripe however, the subtitles have been done by some zero contract kid in America and they're not exactly accurate but don't let that distract you.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Tycipa wrote:the French appeared to me then to be less prudish than us Anglo-Saxons.

Tiny point of interest to me here: this is a canard, that the English are Anglo-Saxon. We're genetic mongrels, assimilating all the way. As Norman as Saxon (I believe my family was Norman some way back, for instance).

Wiki covers it briefly here:

The 2016 study authored by Stephan Schiffels et al. found the Anglo-Saxons to have significantly impacted the genetic composition of the British Isles, so that on average the contemporary East English population derives 38 percent of its ancestry from Anglo-Saxon migrations, with this proportion varying in other parts of Britain that saw less of the migration or the migration of different Germanic tribes.[27] The remaining portion of English DNA is primarily French, introduced in a migration after the end of the Ice Age.

Now back to the telly.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Tycipa wrote:the French appeared to me then to be less prudish than us Anglo-Saxons.

Tiny point of interest to me here: this is a canard, that the English are Anglo-Saxon. We're genetic mongrels, assimilating all the way. As Norman as Saxon (I believe my family was Norman some way back, for instance).

Wiki covers it briefly here:

The 2016 study authored by Stephan Schiffels et al. found the Anglo-Saxons to have significantly impacted the genetic composition of the British Isles, so that on average the contemporary East English population derives 38 percent of its ancestry from Anglo-Saxon migrations, with this proportion varying in other parts of Britain that saw less of the migration or the migration of different Germanic tribes.[27] The remaining portion of English DNA is primarily French, introduced in a migration after the end of the Ice Age.

Now back to the telly.

I could add to this extensively should you wish, although I'll just say here that I agree (nitpicking cunts ahoy).

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 am

I'm interested.

Return to “The Square Ball”