Word up!

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Word up!

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:55 am

Mustafaster wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Not related to language, but I saw a lovely quote regarding ‘higher’ cognition and uniqueness the other day, from philosopher John Gray:

‘Humankind is the only species which doesn’t learn from its mistakes’

Aye.
Might have something to do with language obliquely.
The thing about declarative memory and procedural memory working simultaneously.
We tell ourselves stories constantly and that sometimes prevents us from learning from mistakes.
Animals don't tell themselves stories. If they trip over a stone they don't convince themselves it was the stone's fault.

" What a piece of work is a man."

Yeah, it’s a difficult concept to get your head around. Higher functioning animals can do tests where they go ‘if a learn to do X, Y will happen’. But only humans seem to be capable of ‘I choose to believe that X won’t lead to Y, even though X led to Y previously’. It’s quite scary, particularly at present.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am

Everything is symbolic and metaphors and similes are powerful symbols.
You're right in that they are often specific to language groups.
We think of the future in front and the past behind. Seems logical to us, because well it's obvious innit Future in front, past behind....
Some cultures see the past as in front of you because you can see it and the future behind because you can't.

Not sure when it kicks in tbh but it must be very early.
People on the autistic spectrum have trouble with metaphor, they don't know how to interpret it. Autism presents pretty early I think.
There's bound to be somebody working on it somewhere but I'm not in the loop.
When it gets published I might get to hear about it.
Pinker talks about metaphor a lot in The Blank Slate if you're interested.
Devotes a whole chapter iirc.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:42 am

Recently met two blokes who claim to be called Stig, and there's a couple of radio presenters with the same affliction.
Anybody know where this comes from?
Is it short for Smugtwat perhaps!
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:05 am

It's Scandinavian. Common.

Have I missed a joke here?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 am

Blackwhite wrote:It's Scandinavian. Common.

No, no joke, just one of those things that you notice from time to time. Like weather forecasters always using the phrase "out there" in every broadcast and the number of people who start everything with "so ... ".

Scandinavian you say ...
Fair enough.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 am

Mustafaster wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:It's Scandinavian. Common.

No, no joke, just one of those things that you notice from time to time. Like weather forecasters always using the phrase "out there" in every broadcast and the number of people who start everything with "so ... ".

Scandinavian you say ...
Fair enough.

Yep, Norse. However, I guess there's the potential, outside Scandinavia, for this to be popularly driven by Top Gear - as with Kylies and all the 39 year old Kevins in Germany. In which case, fuck that fucking nonsense.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 am

Mustafaster wrote:Recently met two blokes who claim to be called Stig, and there's a couple of radio presenters with the same affliction.
Anybody know where this comes from?
Is it short for Smugtwat perhaps!

As featured in the book Stig of the Dump from 1963?

"Stig, a caveman with shaggy, black hair and bright black eyes"
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:09 pm

There’s an account on Twitter - Whores of Yore - about the history of sex work and so on. Their Word of the Day is often splendid, for example:

‘Show us yer hat, luv’

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Get a wiggle on or get a wriggle on?

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Wriggle
I like it. What is it?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 am

Another battle lost.
"Try and ..." used at least half a dozen times on the Today programme this morning so far.
:puker:

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:57 am

If it's not been done before: it is probably too late to stop "one of the only" from being normalised, but it never fails to annoy me. Won't someone think of the children? Please stop this. :twisted:

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:47 pm

Matt White wrote:If it's not been done before: it is probably too late to stop "one of the only" from being normalised, but it never fails to annoy me. Won't someone think of the children? Please stop this. :twisted:

Excellent marketing phrase though :mrgreen:
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:28 pm

SimonB wrote:
Matt White wrote:If it's not been done before: it is probably too late to stop "one of the only" from being normalised, but it never fails to annoy me. Won't someone think of the children? Please stop this. :twisted:

Excellent marketing phrase though :mrgreen:

Well. That is exactly what a massive marketing person would say :wink:

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:11 am

Matt White wrote:Well. That is exactly what a massive marketing person would say :wink:

As an accountant I resent that remark :mrgreen: I am massive though that bit I agree with....
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am

Idle thought after yesterday: Melee, fracas and contretemps are all anglicised French; kerfuffle and argy-bargy derive from Gaelic.

Why haven't we got a nice Anglo-Saxon term for a bit of a to-do? (Well, apart from a bit of a to-do?)

Son of Leeds

Postby Son of Leeds » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 am

It's not Anglo-Saxon but personally I like 'tra la la' as in Gilberte's description of her aunt's show off party: 'Cette grande tra la la de ma taunte.' It's got the right amount of casual contempt.
Leeds United is ruining my life.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm

One for (some) users on here:

The use of the phrase 'give them a pass' in the context of accepting the mistake(s) of a player is increasingly prevalent. I have two objections:

1. It's shit US street slang. There's no place for it here, thanks.

2. Implicit in the phrase is the idea that offering something to the player is within the fan's gift. It is not. The situation is that players play and fans watch and support. The players are not relying on scores from fans in order to do their job - which they may or may not do well, obviously. There's just something horribly smug and self-absorbed in the way the opinion is expressed: 'Oh, I'll let them off on this occasion'. Or fucking what? You'll take their pocket money away?

Stop this nonsense.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 am

On the Beeb:
Wilder successfully defended his title for the ninth time, becoming only the 10th man to achieve that feet.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 19, 2019 10:39 am

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”