Word up!

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: Word up!

Postby the flying pig » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:I'm a Smoggy. Not far away, I suppose, being from York.

yeah. it's a bit wank for them to have identified different accents for all of wearside, tyneside, & teeside but just one for 'yorkshire', which as a collective covers a far larger geographic area, is vastly more populous. N/E/W/S yorks accents are all very different.

Yeah, I remember the time I first encountered a Leeds accent as a kid - my eldest bro went out with a Pudsey lass for a while. Only 20 miles away but very different to York.

definitely. to my ear many leeds & especially bradford accents are only half a step removed from manc. i say 'many' because you obviously get plenty of variations within ridiculously short distances of each other.

by way of an example, if you listened even moderately carefully on 'coronation street', rita duckworth & liz mcdonald had slightly more [west] yorks than lancs vowel sounds, reflecting the actresses origins, no-one much [in the south, at any rate] cared or noticed... but then [leeds born & bred] angela griffin's character sounded reasonably manc but when you hear her in interviews and/or other roles many of her vowel sounds aren't what i'd view as classically yorkshire at all.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Somebody reverse index this so I can search by modern term: A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, 1788.

Edit: Admiral of the Narrow Seas :lol: :lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 am

Greatest tongue twister ever:
One smart feller, he felt smart, two smart fellers, they felt smart.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 am

Assistance needed friends.
The opinions of native speakers in usage are always very valuable so please don't hold back, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.
Do you see any difference between these two, sentences, and if so what do you think they are?
1. I wish you did more exercise
2. I wish you would do more exercise.

Thank you.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:55 am

First one feels American English to me. I would naturally use the second.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am

Two opinions around the office -

First - number 1 sounds more as if you are speaking about the past and number 2 is more about the future
Second - number 1 sounds a more positive desire for you to do more exercise than number 2
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am

Both come across the same to me but I would use 'I wish you'd do more exercise'.
Actually I'd probably use 'I wish you'd exercise more'.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 am

i think i agree with Simon's post... 1) sounds kinda defeatist, like you're expressing regret, acknowledging there's no likely change on the agenda; 2), whilst not the most positive construction ever, is a bit more aspirational.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:36 am

2 sounds like the speaker is mildly disappointed and implies some criticism

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 am

I think they both sound negative - you can't say either to a woman. Heh-heh.

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

the flying pig wrote:i think i agree with Simon's post... 1) sounds kinda defeatist, like you're expressing regret, acknowledging there's no likely change on the agenda; 2), whilst not the most positive construction ever, is a bit more aspirational.

Yep, has a more 'pro-active' feel to it.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Yeah, you've pretty much confirmed my feelings on it, but it's good to run it by others at times.
Both are negative, but....
The first has no future context and implies there will be no change.
The second has a possible future context and has some hope of future change.
Thank you gents

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 am

Spanner in the works from me. Maybe I'm a philistine but to me they are pretty much identicial. Imagine a parent admonishing their offspring " I wish you did more exercise " To me there is an explicit message (although tinged with regret -t'is true !) Do more bloody exercise- you lazy fat git. "I wish you would do more exercise " - just sounds a bit more polite ?

Edit - actually reading Musta's conclusion . I think you're right except with the first one there is still a possibility of change. All is not lost !! anyway which Leeds player were you talking to ?
For every step,the footprint was already there.

Son of Leeds

Postby Son of Leeds » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:28 pm

I wish you did more exercise: I wish you were in the habit of doing a greater amount of exercise though I'm not specifying any timeframe.
I wish you would do more exercise: I wish you would at some unspecified point in the future, or immediately, start the habit of more exercise.

The crucial difference is in intention. The first could be said in the sense of, 'I know you won't.' The second could be a request. The first is compatible with a situation where more exercise cannot be an option. The second only makes sense if more exercise is an option.
Leeds United is ruining my life.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:47 pm

What wrong with "GET ON THE TREADMILL YOU FAT CUNT"?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am

gazurtoids wrote:Apropos o' nowt, I really think we need to clamp down on erroneous use of whereby lads. :spidey:

We're now up to 623 uses of 'whereby' on the board, at least half of which are Tommy and all of those are incorrect.

If you are desirous of using whereby, the simple test is to substitute 'by which' and see if it sounds OK.

For the love of God Tommy please - pretty please - can you stop now?

At the very least, if you're going to use a random word incorrectly, at least show some originality.

Tommy wrote:I feel like he could be one of those players that does well at Celtic, axolotl you have better players around you and little to no serious competition.

You see? Much more fun.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
In touch with a firm of solicitors over me dad's will, involves signing various documents yada yada...
So I send an email asking if they need the originals or if I can just scan them and send them by email...
Reply:
Thanks for your email. You can scan them over to myself once they’re signed.
:cry: :evil:
What does a chap do under these circumstances? These are solicitors ffs! They make their living from correct and precise use of language.
Sorely tempted to reply: No, I can't scan them and send them to yourself. I can send them to you, to anyone else, even to myself, but not to yourself. Myself is a reflexive pronoun used when the subject and object are the same person.
Do your job and learn to use the language you were given freely at birth correctly
Of course wisdom will prevail, and I will meekly accept this barbarisation of English for a quiet life ....
:(

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Mustafaster wrote:AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
In touch with a firm of solicitors over me dad's will, involves signing various documents yada yada...
So I send an email asking if they need the originals or if I can just scan them and send them by email...
Reply:
What does a chap do under these circumstances? These are solicitors ffs! They make their living from correct and precise use of language.
Sorely tempted to reply: No, I can't scan them and send them to yourself. I can send them to you, to anyone else, even to myself, but not to yourself. Myself is a reflexive pronoun used when the subject and object are the same person.
Do your job and learn to use the language you were given freely at birth correctly
Of course wisdom will prevail, and I will meekly accept this barbarisation of English for a quiet life ....

oh aye. there's definitely a class of person who believes that using reflexive personal pronouns can add one or more of erudition, formality, lolz, etc to an otherwise undistinguished sentence. it's a shockingly awful class, obvs :thumbd: .

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:17 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Reply:

oh aye. there's definitely a class of person who believes that using reflexive personal pronouns can add one or more of erudition, formality, lolz, etc to an otherwise undistinguished sentence. it's a shockingly awful class, obvs :thumbd: .

Aye. You can sort of grit yer teeth and ignore it when it's Gladys from accounts (it's almost entirely a female trait btw, dunno why).
But a solicitor? Sort of undermines your faith in their professional competence a bit.
Sigh.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm

When a society starts to lose faith in it's solicitors then it won't be long before it doubts the legitamacy of it's estate agents :thumbd:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Return to “The Square Ball”