O/T Book review thread.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: O/T Book review thread.

Postby the flying pig » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 am

cheers for the tips. I may use eric's animal one.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:55 am

My favourite as a kid, possibly a bit wordy for the young un

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Odd thing happened to me last weekend. Mrs O and I decided to go for a bike ride so we lobbed the bikes in the car and parked up in a forest away down the road. When we parked there were probably 30 or 40 cars there.

Came back maybe 3 hours later and someone had left a book under the wiper. Brand new paperback novel, I looked inside the cover and it said 'Best regards' and was signed by the author. At this point there were only maybe 5 other cars left and none of them had the same.

Anyway, Mrs O googled it when we got home. Turns out the author lives local-ish and used to be a proper gangland psycho hard man but then found God and salvation during a long stretch and now dedicates his life to proselytising on the errors of his ways. I suspect the book is some sort of redemption tale.

Slightly entertained by the idea that he saw Mrs O and I and decided we needed saving. Was going to try and read it but I think I'll just leave it on a park bench or summat.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Doors locked are they?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:20 am

To salvation?

Hell, yeah

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

did anyone notice that LUFC had a series of festive 'Gatsby evenings' at ER penciled in for this xmas?

bit of an obscure, highbrow reference I thought, sure enough they became 'twenties/prohibition' evenings within the space of about 24 hrs.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Methanol cocktails, some reefer and a shoot-out then?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Finally finished the Patrick Melrose novels by Edward st aubyn, its the best book(s) I've read for ages. The bloke can write, he's sharp, the characters are rich and he's able to articulate those feelings you get but can never quite put into words. He is an English author I'd never heard of but now I'll be reading all his stuff.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Quiffy wrote:Finally finished the Patrick Melrose novels by Edward st aubyn, its the best book(s) I've read for ages. The bloke can write, he's sharp, the characters are rich and he's able to articulate those feelings you get but can never quite put into words. He is an English author I'd never heard of but now I'll be reading all his stuff.

Sounds up my street that, cheers.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Munson

Postby Munson » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:29 am

Fuck. Haven't had time to read book for a couple of years. Cheers for the post. Sounds like a good investment. This is on the birthday list, together with a holiday to read it.

topbin

Postby topbin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

On Kindle it's £8.99 for all of 'em. Since the MiL is now paying for our Kindle books after freeloading off us for years, I'll have that.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:09 pm

looking for another book club suggestion.

preferably ticks two or more of the following boxes: (a) funny; (b) high to middling level of popularity, e.g. people will have heard of it, we'll be able to find discussion questions online, but it's not 'GCSE standard text' popular such that 1+ club member will likely have already read it already; (c) not too long, e.g. 200-300 pages.

e.g. I considered stuff like:

hitchhiker's guide - very funny, perfect length, but 2 members have read already;
molesworth - has a good rep & none of us have read but weighs in at a not inconsiderable 430 pages;
decline & fall - similar considerations to hitchhiker's.
etc.

cheers

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I've just read Reality, Reality by Jackie Kay. 15 short stories, about 220 pages.
A bit girly, cos written by a girl innit. But some of it is beautifully observed.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 pm

the flying pig wrote:looking for another book club suggestion.

preferably ticks two or more of the following boxes: (a) funny; (b) high to middling level of popularity, e.g. people will have heard of it, we'll be able to find discussion questions online, but it's not 'GCSE standard text' popular such that 1+ club member will likely have already read it already; (c) not too long, e.g. 200-300 pages.

e.g. I considered stuff like:

hitchhiker's guide - very funny, perfect length, but 2 members have read already;
molesworth - has a good rep & none of us have read but weighs in at a not inconsiderable 430 pages;
decline & fall - similar considerations to hitchhiker's.
etc.

cheers

Any of Martin Amis' earlier books. Money is probably best for wot you want.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/ ... amis-money
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm

TFP, have you tried The Rosie Project?
By Graham SimsioN
Found that very funny, read it in two days while on holiday

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Any of Martin Amis' earlier books. Money is probably best for wot you want.

Just bought this off the back of that link. If it's shit I'll invoice you. :thumbl:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:Any of Martin Amis' earlier books. Money is probably best for wot you want.

Just bought this off the back of that link. If it's shit I'll invoice you. :thumbl:

Be interested in what you think about it. Was it of its time? Does it stand up now? Should he have spent so much on his teeth? That kind of thing.

Munson

Postby Munson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Mate was telling me about a book called Ready Player One.

Being made into a Spielberg movie now apparently, but the plot sounds all good, if a bit science fictiony/dystopian. Lots of 80's references, plot threads.

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Quiffy wrote:Finally finished the Patrick Melrose novels by Edward st aubyn, its the best book(s) I've read for ages. The bloke can write, he's sharp, the characters are rich and he's able to articulate those feelings you get but can never quite put into words. He is an English author I'd never heard of but now I'll be reading all his stuff.

Picked up the first one this afternoon in an Oxfan near me. There was all four but there was other stuff that intrigued me.Can nip back for the rest if it's my thing.

Cheers

FER

Postby FER » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Just finished Elvis and The Memphis Mafia by Alanna Nash. It's a 700+ page behemoth, where three members of the Memphis Mafia, Billy Smith (Elvis' cousin), Marty Lacker and Lamar Fike, recount their memories of The King from childhood through to death and then slightly beyond.

It's a very honest account of what happened throughout the life of Elvis (all the women, the shitloads of drugs he was on, his ridiculous spending sprees) and if you have any interest in Elvis or his music, then I'd highly recommend this book.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Return to “The Square Ball”