O/T Book review thread.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ponte

O/T Book review thread.

Postby Ponte » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, armed with Girl In A Band, Kim Gordon's autobiography. Rather looking forward to it.

Quiffy

Re: O/T Book review thread.

Postby Quiffy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I read The Road on a jolly summer beach holiday, and argue about cuttlefish DNA in popcorn movies.

I think I'm past helping, but Ta for trying :lol:

cuttlefish dna in popcorn movies? :cyclops: :lol:
Ponte wrote:I'm going on holiday tomorrow, armed with Girl In A Band, Kim Gordon's autobiography. Rather looking forward to it.

i thought it had been recommended on here but couldn't find it in the search, but if you get through the kim gordon one and fancy something similar, i'd recommend the viv albertine autobiography, talk about a life fully lived. i'm not into the slits, but she seems to have been lurking behind a lot of the original punk bands - sex pistols and the clash especially, mates with sid viscious, but that's only a minor part of the story. :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Ponte

O/T Book review thread.

Postby Ponte » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:30 pm

I'll bear it in mind, ta.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Quiffy wrote: i'd recommend the viv albertine autobiography, talk about a life fully lived

Thanks for the reminder - been meaning to do that. Another musical one that sounds worth a go is - of all things - The Book of Luke by Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew / Me So Horny fame, who went on to become a local politician & social activist in Miami.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote: i'd recommend the viv albertine autobiography, talk about a life fully lived

Thanks for the reminder - been meaning to do that. Another musical one that sounds worth a go is - of all things - The Book of Luke by Luther Campbell of 2 Live Crew / Me So Horny fame, who went on to become a local politician & social activist in Miami.

she ended up down your way as a housewife for years, until she got frustrated with, amongst other things, the other middle class housewives. don't suppose the olthwaite family paths have ever crossed with hers? she's a remarkable woman with a simple pholosophy, just be true to yourself, that's led her down some fascinating paths.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Quiffy wrote:she ended up down your way as a housewife for years, until she got frustrated with, amongst other things, the other middle class housewives. don't suppose the olthwaite family paths have ever crossed with hers? she's a remarkable woman with a simple pholosophy, just be true to yourself, that's led her down some fascinating paths.

Maybe 5 years ago, we:

i) Saw 'The Slits', although it was actually just Ari Up plus three or four blokes. One of the worst gigs I've ever been to, an absolute travesty. Left after 5 minutes.
ii) Saw Viv playing her own stuff. She was genuinely ace. Didn't know she lived round here, but absolutely understand the middle-class thing.

Tommy

O/T Book review thread.

Postby Tommy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14 pm

I saw Viv last year and it was very entertaining. Her between song spiels were hilarious. Her book is also excellent.

Ari Up's latter day attempt to revive the Slits was admittedly lame. Still, I find it hard to believe she's gone. That first album is like nothing else. Also I seem to recall she once threw a glass ashtray at my head. Great times.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:48 pm

If you're into your WW2 and associated history then I would recommend After Hitler by Michael Jones.

It effectively starts upon Hitlers suicide, follows the the next 20 or so days and how all this played out politically in deciding the fate of millions of people's lives in the post WW2 years. I found it especially interesting in how those people at the top of the decision process, being desperate to bring the war to a conclusion as swiftly as possible (whilst emotionally and physically knackered), also had to have any eye on how peace would evolve in a devasted Europe both for themselves, their countrymen and those that they had fought to free from Nazism. It's packed full of small details; diary entries of ordinary folk, soldiers, politicians, etc all clearly woven into a narrative that keeps you wanting to turn the page even though you know how it turns out.

It manages to tell you a history without being too heavy.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

topbin

O/T Book review thread.

Postby topbin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 am

Fucking hell its £17 on Amazon! Give this a bump when it's out in paperback would you? ;)

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:07 am

topbin wrote:Fucking hell its £17 on Amazon! Give this a bump when it's out in paperback would you? ;)

I got the paperback version at the Airport so have another look see.

EDIT: odd that, had a look see mesen, both Amazon and Waterstones don't do the paperback version but I'm fucked if I can remember which Airport I bought it in.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:35 am

Quiffy wrote:i'd recommend the viv albertine autobiography

Great book, this. I'd never entirely trust a woman who doesn't wank, but still...

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:38 am

I just purchased Terry Pratchetts last book :(

Looking forward to reading it but with a fair bit of sadness as well
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:10 am

Don't read any reviews, spoilers everywhere I read.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Barrett Brown's kick-ass review of Franzen.

Let me put it this way. I was interested enough in WikiLeaks, state transparency, and emergent opposition networks to do five years in prison over such things, but I wasn’t interested enough that I would have voluntarily plowed through 500 pages of badly plotted failed-marriage razzmatazz by an author who’s long past his expiration date simply in order to learn what the Great King of the Honkies thinks about all this.

There are big ideas here, but none worth having, much less writing down.

There’s an old joke, which holds that in heaven, the cooks are French, the cops are English, and the engineers are German; whereas in hell, the cooks are English, the cops are German, and the engineers are French. We live in a sort of silly cultural hell where the columns are composed by Thomas Friedman, the novels are written by Jonathan Franzen, the debate is framed by CNN, and the fact-checking is done by no one. Franzen’s nightmare — a new regime of technology and information activists that will challenge the senile culture of which he is so perfectly representative — is exactly what is needed.
Fuckin' zing
:lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mel Sterlands big toe

Postby Mel Sterlands big toe » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:19 pm

If you want a big book for the holiday

Shantaram

Thank me later
(based on the authors life)

ferris_bueller

Postby ferris_bueller » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:43 am

Mel Sterlands big toe wrote:If you want a big book for the holiday

Shantaram

Thank me later
(based on the authors life)

Never really got on with it. Going to Bali for a week in 6 weeks' time so have ordered 'High Fidelity' for some light relief and 'tender is the night' if Im feeling a bit more pretentious.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:51 pm

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:33 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:

Yep they nailed me.

They certainly did: the answer is always 25--39 whatever you answer [emoji38]

(Try answering no to everything and yes to everything.)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:52 am

Shhh, go gently on the poor love Gaz, I think he may have just recovered from a near-death experience...

Return to “The Square Ball”