Running?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
jackos

Running?

Postby jackos » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:48 am

I try, but have never run more than 13KM, I keep telling myself I'll do the Stockholm and Leeds half marathons one year - doubt I'll ever do a full marathon, but a half would be fun.

Having said that I might be up for a TSB half marathon if folks where up for it? Leeds is a year off - Sunday 8th May 2016 - so plenty of time to get some practice in. Stockholm is in September, so a good date weather wise, but maybe a bit soon for me :)

Quiffy

Re: Running?

Postby Quiffy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:12 am

i've done one run since the leeds half marathon and i got a calf strain so haven't done owt since, until today where i got roped into a football tournament, another sport i haven't played much of cos of my bad knee in the last 18 years, and did my hamstring after 6 minutes. i think my body's trying to tell me something.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Quiffy wrote:i've done one run since the leeds half marathon and i got a calf strain so haven't done owt since, until today where i got roped into a football tournament, another sport i haven't played much of cos of my bad knee in the last 18 years, and did my hamstring after 6 minutes. i think my body's trying to tell me something.

You have probably just reached that age where you need to pay more attention to warm-ups, stretching and muscle exercises. My calf muscles used to give me gip so I bought some new running shoes and did some exercises [found online] to strengthen the muscle. No probs since. But I am an old cunt at 57. Going out for a run today, as it goes.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:32 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:i've done one run since the leeds half marathon and i got a calf strain so haven't done owt since, until today where i got roped into a football tournament, another sport i haven't played much of cos of my bad knee in the last 18 years, and did my hamstring after 6 minutes. i think my body's trying to tell me something.

You have probably just reached that age where you need to pay more attention to warm-ups, stretching and muscle exercises. My calf muscles used to give me gip so I bought some new running shoes and did some exercises [found online] to strengthen the muscle. No probs since. But I am an old cunt at 57. Going out for a run today, as it goes.

With your stride you should a marathon in 2 hours!
Jokes about communism are not funny unless everyone gets them

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Tycipa wrote:With your stride you should a marathon in 2 hours!

It pisses me off how much I've slowed down. In my twenties I could do three miles in 15 minutes. Only a couple of years ago I was able to do 5k in 22 mins. But since I laid off for about six months due to various illnesses I'm finding it all bloody slow going. Do a lot more walking the I used to, now we have a dog.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:45 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

yeah. you're probably right, i do the odd token stretch but that's it. pissed off about the hamstring as i know, like michael owen :wheels: , once it goes once it'll probably go again easy.

thing is, i really enjoyed my 6 minutes and it's got me wanting more. i wasn't so bad compared to the other dads as i found i knew roughly where to be even though the standard was a bit higher than i expected for a 'masters' :lol: tournament for dad's of the players; in the first minute i thought i was favourite to a ball and i got slide tackled by this lad who later on nutmegged me on the way to scoring the winning goal, it turned out he'd had recent trials for man city and bolton, whilst i thought it was going to be a gentle kickabout.

as a return to competitive sport, it was marginally more encouraging that my attempt at a cricket comeback where i go a golden duck and zero wickets. :wheels:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

London_White

Postby London_White » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Not suitable for football but I have been using compression socks for a few years when running. Was troubled by calf issues especially post run, but since using these have had no issues. Got me through the London marathon last year, aiming for a triathlon next year but need to improve the swimming as it's more like mobile drowning at the moment

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:Are people still running?

I just signed up for the Athens Marathon on the 8th November - http://www.athensauthenticmarathon.gr/index.php?lang=en

EDIT:

Look at that gradient :shock:

So this has quickly come around. Am feeling very unprepared if I'm being honest. AEK Athens play later on the 8th, so if I'm back in time to watch, I'll be pleased with my time.

I'm running because we lost a family member to Oesophageal Cancer last November and we’ve been trying our hardest to raise awareness of it since then.

So if you fancy throwing a couple of quid my way you can do so here: https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Cheers :thumbl:
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Oh, and if any London based ballers fancy letting me sleep on their sofa on the 12th November, I would be ever so grateful indeed! PM me.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 pm

As per another thread I've recently started trying to do a bit of I suppose 'interval' training on a treadmill in a local gym.

Probably a daft question but I wondered what the etiquette is regarding running speeds on treadmills... How fast is it acceptable/sensible to try and go? E.g. If you hypothetically ramped it up to say 20kph (I'm nowhere near fit enough to sustain that sort of pace but, y'know) would people look at you like you were being a twat? Would there be a risk of falling off? Etc

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Running?

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Anyone who does more than you are capable of in a gym is a twat. Hope that helps.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Anyone who does more than you are capable of in a gym is a twat. Hope that helps.

:scratch:

I should think quite a lot of people could do more than TFP is capable of. Seems harsh.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:43 pm

the flying pig wrote:As per another thread I've recently started trying to do a bit of I suppose 'interval' training on a treadmill in a local gym.

Probably a daft question but I wondered what the etiquette is regarding running speeds on treadmills... How fast is it acceptable/sensible to try and go? E.g. If you hypothetically ramped it up to say 20kph (I'm nowhere near fit enough to sustain that sort of pace but, y'know) would people look at you like you were being a twat? Would there be a risk of falling off? Etc

If you are doing intervals you need to be going nearly or flat out at the sprints but that is your flat out, not the machine's. As long as you are keeping up with it then don't worry.

I don't like treadmills, if I want to do intervals I'll use lamposts and sprint two, jog one.

Get out on the roads, especially when light nights get here. Much more pleasant.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Ponte wrote:I don't like treadmills, if I want to do intervals I'll use lamposts and sprint two, jog one.

Get out on the roads, especially when light nights get here. Much more pleasant.

Wot he said.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm saving running for when I retire, and get a Collie to run with. That way I'll die with functioning legs :thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I'm saving running for when I retire, and get a Collie to run with. That way I'll die with functioning legs :thumbl:

I enjoy it. After work it's a great way to unwind, away from everyone for a short time.

Got a lovely 5 mile route near me that takes me past a nature reserve.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:39 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Anyone who does more than you are capable of in a gym is a twat. Hope that helps.

:scratch:

I should think quite a lot of people could do more than TFP is capable of. Seems harsh.

what yer sayin like :rambo: ?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 pm

I think treadmills are brilliant. Advantages not limited to:

1) good in all weathers (never wet, too cold, or too hot);
2) the way it keeps you on your toes - drop off the pace and it'll chuck you off the back;
3) the way the various readouts give you something to focus on; and
4) your mates/neighbours never bumping into you.

This said, you'd be daft not to acknowledge the limitations of pounding along in a perfectly straight line on a perfectly flat surface. If nothing else you need some decent music to listen to.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 pm

the flying pig wrote:I think treadmills are brilliant. Advantages not limited to:

1) good in all weathers (never wet, too cold, or too hot);
2) the way it keeps you on your toes - drop off the pace and it'll chuck you off the back;
3) the way the various readouts give you something to focus on; and
4) your mates/neighbours never bumping into you.

This said, you'd be daft not to acknowledge the limitations of pounding along in a perfectly straight line on a perfectly flat surface. If nothing else you need some decent music to listen to.

Can't abide listening to music while I exercise.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Cheeky post (prompted by tfp mentioning he’d kindly donated to a cancer charity) but I’m running for Macmillan in the Great North Run later this year, if anyone is kind enough to sponsor me you can do so here
:thumbl:
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”