Running?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Ponte
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.

Re: Running?

Postby Ponte » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:06 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:I'm clearly unfitter than I thought.

When I first started, a couple of years ago, I scared the shit out of myself with how unfit I was. You soon start steadily increasing the time and distance you cover.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

East Stand Si
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: Running?

Postby East Stand Si » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Ponte wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:I'm clearly unfitter than I thought.

When I first started, a couple of years ago, I scared the shit out of myself with how unfit I was. You soon start steadily increasing the time and distance you cover.


And it's all about steady building, a lot of people want to be running far and fast straight away, much better to build gradually and also less likely to get injured that way too.

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Running?

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:35 pm

East Stand Si wrote:
And it's all about steady building, a lot of people want to be running far and fast straight away, much better to build gradually and also less likely to get injured that way too.


Yeah, that's why I went for the C25k , it's literally meant for cunts like me that stopped all sport and regular exercise 5+ years ago. The NHS podcast is really good actually, it explains the rationale behind the slow start and forces you to be realistic - however eager you may be in the haze if new found purpose

London_White
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: exiled in west sussex

Re: Running?

Postby London_White » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:59 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

Any advice from seasoned runners on knee care or knee strengthening??


If you haven't already done this - get yourself to a local running shop and ask their advice on trainers. If you get the right shoes it's amazing the difference it will make. I've run quite a few marathons, several under 4 hours. The first one I ran in some flashy Nike shoes that looked good and cost lots, everything ached afterwards but I sort of expected that. For the next year I needed a new pair so I went to a local running shop who were doing a special offer of free analysis if you bought shoes from them. They got me on a treadmill, analysed my gait and recommended two or three types which I then tried. Consequently I have stuck with Saucony shoes ever since - now buy them off t'interweb from discount sites who sell last year's overstocks off 'cheap' - still £50-£60 but not £100!. Get some pain after running long distances (10 miles or more) but it's mostly gone after a day.
Have a place for next year's London marathon as I got in through the ballot for this year but held the place over as I was out of the country in April. Have started training already as this will be my first marathon in a few years and am now the other side of 50, Aiming to break 3:45 which is why I've started training so soon. One thing I have found that helps me was taking 1,000mg glucosamine sulphate tablets - one a day, has dramatically reduced the pain in my joints.

User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: Running?

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 pm

London_White wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

Any advice from seasoned runners on knee care or knee strengthening??


If you haven't already done this - get yourself to a local running shop and ask their advice on trainers. If you get the right shoes it's amazing the difference it will make. I've run quite a few marathons, several under 4 hours. The first one I ran in some flashy Nike shoes that looked good and cost lots, everything ached afterwards but I sort of expected that. For the next year I needed a new pair so I went to a local running shop who were doing a special offer of free analysis if you bought shoes from them. They got me on a treadmill, analysed my gait and recommended two or three types which I then tried. Consequently I have stuck with Saucony shoes ever since .


In the nicest possible way, although you might get lucky, this is terrible advice.

Go to a top quality podiatrist, especially if you have now, or have ever had, back, hip, knee, or ankle pain. The podiatrist will tell you what you need and then you can go to the running shop who will be happy to supply it. Here's the thing if you have knee pain it may not just be your shoes that are the problem. Its likely(possible) you have some subtalar joint problem. Think Jenga, its the base of the pyramid that exerts instability over the rest

Some running stores are better than others of course, but mostly they are laymen who don't have a clue about the underlying mechanical causes of foot dysfunction. Every step you take with a structural or postural abnormality damages your body further

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: Running?

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 am

It used to be my ankles that were the weak point, but I think that was the result of all the turning playing hockey. Have had back problems from rugby since I was about 12 (it's why I eventually had to stop and took up hockey). Have been in and out of chiropractic and osteopaths for years, never made the slightest bit of difference really.

Basically I'm fucked.... I just need to get fit and running has taken on a new sense of acceptability since it gets me out of the house and let's me listen to some music.

London_White
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: exiled in west sussex

Re: Running?

Postby London_White » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
London_White wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

Any advice from seasoned runners on knee care or knee strengthening??


If you haven't already done this - get yourself to a local running shop and ask their advice on trainers. If you get the right shoes it's amazing the difference it will make. I've run quite a few marathons, several under 4 hours. The first one I ran in some flashy Nike shoes that looked good and cost lots, everything ached afterwards but I sort of expected that. For the next year I needed a new pair so I went to a local running shop who were doing a special offer of free analysis if you bought shoes from them. They got me on a treadmill, analysed my gait and recommended two or three types which I then tried. Consequently I have stuck with Saucony shoes ever since .


In the nicest possible way, although you might get lucky, this is terrible advice.

Go to a top quality podiatrist, especially if you have now, or have ever had, back, hip, knee, or ankle pain. The podiatrist will tell you what you need and then you can go to the running shop who will be happy to supply it. Here's the thing if you have knee pain it may not just be your shoes that are the problem. Its likely(possible) you have some subtalar joint problem. Think Jenga, its the base of the pyramid that exerts instability over the rest

Some running stores are better than others of course, but mostly they are laymen who don't have a clue about the underlying mechanical causes of foot dysfunction. Every step you take with a structural or postural abnormality damages your body further


Fair point OEE
Maybe I was just lucky then as this was 20 years ago and I've never had any running related problems (apart from being too slow of course)

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Running?

Postby Clacton white » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
London_White wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

Any advice from seasoned runners on knee care or knee strengthening??


If you haven't already done this - get yourself to a local running shop and ask their advice on trainers. If you get the right shoes it's amazing the difference it will make. I've run quite a few marathons, several under 4 hours. The first one I ran in some flashy Nike shoes that looked good and cost lots, everything ached afterwards but I sort of expected that. For the next year I needed a new pair so I went to a local running shop who were doing a special offer of free analysis if you bought shoes from them. They got me on a treadmill, analysed my gait and recommended two or three types which I then tried. Consequently I have stuck with Saucony shoes ever since .


In the nicest possible way, although you might get lucky, this is terrible advice.

Go to a top quality podiatrist, especially if you have now, or have ever had, back, hip, knee, or ankle pain. The podiatrist will tell you what you need and then you can go to the running shop who will be happy to supply it. Here's the thing if you have knee pain it may not just be your shoes that are the problem. Its likely(possible) you have some subtalar joint problem. Think Jenga, its the base of the pyramid that exerts instability over the rest

Some running stores are better than others of course, but mostly they are laymen who don't have a clue about the underlying mechanical causes of foot dysfunction. Every step you take with a structural or postural abnormality damages your body further


I got a pair of Karrimor ( spelling ???) trainres from Sports Direct - they're cheap , about £30 , so didn't expect a lot , tried thenm on and immediately thought not suitable for running so made them my walking trainer - after 10 or 12 weeks of walking only in them 9 running in Reebok/Salomon's ) , they fell apart , so £30 " cheap " isn't cheap as they are crap - AVOID Karimmor - or buy at your peril .

East Stand Si
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: Running?

Postby East Stand Si » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Clacton white wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:
London_White wrote:[quote="LSD&2Es"]Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

Any advice from seasoned runners on knee care or knee strengthening??


If you haven't already done this - get yourself to a local running shop and ask their advice on trainers. If you get the right shoes it's amazing the difference it will make. I've run quite a few marathons, several under 4 hours. The first one I ran in some flashy Nike shoes that looked good and cost lots, everything ached afterwards but I sort of expected that. For the next year I needed a new pair so I went to a local running shop who were doing a special offer of free analysis if you bought shoes from them. They got me on a treadmill, analysed my gait and recommended two or three types which I then tried. Consequently I have stuck with Saucony shoes ever since .


In the nicest possible way, although you might get lucky, this is terrible advice.

Go to a top quality podiatrist, especially if you have now, or have ever had, back, hip, knee, or ankle pain. The podiatrist will tell you what you need and then you can go to the running shop who will be happy to supply it. Here's the thing if you have knee pain it may not just be your shoes that are the problem. Its likely(possible) you have some subtalar joint problem. Think Jenga, its the base of the pyramid that exerts instability over the rest

Some running stores are better than others of course, but mostly they are laymen who don't have a clue about the underlying mechanical causes of foot dysfunction. Every step you take with a structural or postural abnormality damages your body further


I got a pair of Karrimor ( spelling ???) trainres from Sports Direct - they're cheap , about £30 , so didn't expect a lot , tried thenm on and immediately thought not suitable for running so made them my walking trainer - after 10 or 12 weeks of walking only in them 9 running in Reebok/Salomon's ) , they fell apart , so £30 " cheap " isn't cheap as they are crap - AVOID Karimmor - or buy at your peril .[/quote]

Sports Direct is good for clothing though, cheap tops and shorts etc...

I always go for Asics shoes and have been wearing the Gel Nimbus in it's various forms for about 10 years. It's a motion control shoe. I got last pair for £86.

One of the best online shops is http://www.startfitness.co.uk they will always price match other online stores and the running socks they sell are great too!

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: Running?

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

I bought a pair Karrimor walking shoes for £27 from sports direct a few years ago. Absolutely love them, I wore them in New York and wear them in the winter going to the match. Liked them so much I got myself another (Similar) pair this year.

Obviously I can't comment Karrimor as running shoes though.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Running?

Postby Clacton white » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:05 pm

AndyPaul wrote:I bought a pair Karrimor walking shoes for £27 from sports direct a few years ago. Absolutely love them, I wore them in New York and wear them in the winter going to the match. Liked them so much I got myself another (Similar) pair this year.

Obviously I can't comment Karrimor as running shoes though.


Walking shoes are brilliant - its what they are known for anyway . The gel on running trainers though - it started to beak away from the midsoles and cracked apart . Very little use in comparrison to what I'd expect even out of a moderate trainer - didn't run in them as they felt unsuitable at first wearing . Their walking shoes I'd agree , I 'd recommend them , running trainers though - no way .

Mindo
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Running?

Postby Mindo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 pm

happy with my vest for frankfurt next month
FF13.jpg
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 367 times

FF13 2.jpg
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 367 times

Bob
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Running?

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Whatever happened to Patrick hong kong?

Got a life or did the triads finally catch up with him?

Wakefield White
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: t'other side o't hills

Re: Running?

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm

GPS watches

When I started running back in the mid noughties I used to think it was great that I could do a run and then trace the route on google earth to find out how far I'd gone. More recently I've used the run keeper app on my phone but it pisses me off carrying it round, I've always fancied a GPS watch but the cost and bulkiness has always put me off. It looks like my five-a-side career is on the wane so I've started getting back in to the running a bit more and the watches are now seem more functional, smaller and are generally cheaper, so I'm thinking of splashing out a few quid to assist with the training.

I've got my eye on the Garmin forerunner 220 or the tomtom multi sport but they both cost a few quid. Any of you runner types use a GPS sports watch?
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Mindo
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Running?

Postby Mindo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 pm

When training i prefer to run with a GPS because it makes me more disciplined about pacing and stops me from slipping into an amble. Ive owned 2- an expensive touch screen model which had all manner of functions that I never used (the missus threw it out by mistake when i left it at the bottom of an old gym bag) and my current Garmin 10 which i think is the cheapest model available but has all the main functions i need and actually understand (pace, split times, calories, PB times etc). If i want to track the elevation of my run or whatever then i can plug it in to the laptop to see more data, but i rarely do that. Sometimes takes a while to pick up a signal, but tends to be ok if you start in similar geographic positions, and i cant complain really for 90 quid. Not sure what extra the 220 offers for the extra 140 quid or so other than a colour screen, cant comment on the Tom Tom as all the runners I know use Garmin

Wakefield White
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: t'other side o't hills

Re: Running?

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 pm

I've read sticking the watch next to a window while you get your trainers on helps with picking up the signal!

I started off looking at the Garmin 10 and it seems to be pretty well liked by all that use it. The extras that I think will be useful are programmable intervals, vibrate alerts for splits and pace alerts, bluetooth upload via phone app and satellite position cacheing for faster signal pick up. There is also the downloadable training plans but I'm not sure I'd use them.

The tomtom has even more features and is cheaper but they are newer in the game and maybe a little less slick.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Running?

Postby jackos » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Wakefield White wrote:I've got my eye on the Garmin forerunner 220 or the tomtom multi sport but they both cost a few quid. Any of you runner types use a GPS sports watch?


I recently took the plunge after spending a couple of months trying to decide between them two, n a third watch from Suuntu, I eventually ruled out the Suuntu cause it was two big. At first I decided to go for the 220, cause I have no doubt it's a better watch, Garmin have been doing sports watched for years and are unbeatable, this is the first GPS Tomtom have released themselves (ignoring the Nike).

But.. In the end I went for the Tomtom multi sport, brought it last week. Reason's?

- it's easy to use, I don't need all the added stats I can get from the 220. Really I just want Runkeeper on mi wrist...

- it's a nice size, n I can wear it as a regular watch.

- I cycle to work n like the cycling mode. I'd have to buy a Garmin bike GPS to get that. I haven't bothered attaching it to my bike, I just wear it on my wrist when cycling.

- fastest GPS Sat location on the market. I am not a patient man...

- after the latest firmware upgrade it syncs automatically with Runkeeper, no fucking around copying datafiles manually. I've used Runkeeper for years and want to keep my history.

- it was 80 quid cheaper than the 220..

- its red n black, n would look like fin Scum scarf on my pale white wrist....

The biggest advantage the 220 had for me was wifi support, but the I can live with using a USB cable..

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Running?

Postby jackos » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Forgot to say, I love the Tomtom. It does everything I need and then some..

London_White
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: exiled in west sussex

Re: Running?

Postby London_White » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

Wakefield White wrote:I've read sticking the watch next to a window while you get your trainers on helps with picking up the signal!

I started off looking at the Garmin 10 and it seems to be pretty well liked by all that use it. The extras that I think will be useful are programmable intervals, vibrate alerts for splits and pace alerts, bluetooth upload via phone app and satellite position cacheing for faster signal pick up. There is also the downloadable training plans but I'm not sure I'd use them.

The tomtom has even more features and is cheaper but they are newer in the game and maybe a little less slick.


I use a Garmin Forerunner 301 - it's a bit bulky but it's light and has a big screen, easy to read the split screen so I can see time, pace, distance all at the same time should I need to. Plugging it into the PC is obviously less convenient than connecting wirelessly but I only bother once a week or so.
Got it off Ebay for about £35
Agree with the comment above - I put mine in the garden whilst getting my trainers on - by the time I'm ready it has picked up the Satellite signal

User avatar
Proud to be Leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Running?

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:17 am

Are people still running?

I just signed up for the Athens Marathon on the 8th November - http://www.athensauthenticmarathon.gr/index.php?lang=en

EDIT:

Look at that gradient :shock:

Image
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FredFlintstone, Google [Bot] and 9 guests