Running?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ponte

Re: Running?

Postby Ponte » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:48 pm

jim o wrote:
Ponte wrote:Fellow athletes;
Right, advice needed. I'm signed up to the Leeds 10k this year (sponsorship thread in due course) and am looking for tips. I can currently run 1.5 miles without stopping, I do fitness training twice a week and I am improving (I can now climb stairs without gasping).
Any cunt that has ideas on a schedule to build me up to doing 10k in time for June please step forward......

You have to start building up your stamina, by increasing the distance you run.

Also get the balance of fuel right. Each person is different.

Invest in some decent running shoes. Not some £20.00 Netto ones. The good ones look after your feet and ankles.If you can, get them 'fitted' by an speciallist. Not the minimum wage walla in JJB.

You have just over 4 months to increase from 1.5 miles to 6.2. That is some ask.
Proper warm ups and warm downs are a must to prevent injuries.

Run to a realistic pace. You aint no Steve Cram (who is?!).

I began with 1.5 mile a few years ago. gradually built up to 10k now. I set myself realistic goals.

Good luck.

My hopes and aspirations are now crushed, but thanks :mrgreen:

Beer Pig wrote:
Ponte wrote:
Yeah I've invested the lycra, and I do look damn sexy in it. Aye it's the Jane Tomlinson one.

A visit to the opticians.

:tongue:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Good advice Jim. The 'experts' say not to increase either distance or intensity by more than 10% each week, some say 2 weeks. However, there's a big difference between finishing and aiming for a certain time.

If you can build up to running slightly more than half the distance i.e. say 3.5-4 miles then you should make the finish in a 10K. In marathons, for example, if you can run a half marathon distance in training then you are up for a slow marathon finish but at least you finish.
If you can get to a track, run 400m or 800m intervals, not fast but aim at finishing 5 or 6 of them (400s - 2 or 3 800s) but don't make the first one too fast and then make sure the last one at the same speed as the first. Do this session once a week on top of the 'long run' when you try to slowly increase a non stop run. Sometimes it helps to think about time rather than distance. A fair target is 1 hour for 10K. Time yourself when you run and build up the time spent running. The closer you get to 1 hour the better.
Another session which works well is called 'fartlek' in which you run slowly (jog) and then insert quicker bursts. Yous can use lamp posts for example - jog for 2 and then run 1 quicker, jog for 2 and then run 2 etc.

The most important thing is, on the day think of why you are doing it. You are helping people by raising money. Feel proud of that and enjoy the day. Chat to people, encourage others and before you know you will be half way round.
Good luck, if you need any help or advice just ask. We should all help each other and share knowledge and experience.
Cheers.

jim o wrote:
Ponte wrote:Fellow athletes;
Right, advice needed. I'm signed up to the Leeds 10k this year (sponsorship thread in due course) and am looking for tips. I can currently run 1.5 miles without stopping, I do fitness training twice a week and I am improving (I can now climb stairs without gasping).
Any cunt that has ideas on a schedule to build me up to doing 10k in time for June please step forward......

You have to start building up your stamina, by increasing the distance you run.

Also get the balance of fuel right. Each person is different.

Invest in some decent running shoes. Not some £20.00 Netto ones. The good ones look after your feet and ankles.If you can, get them 'fitted' by an speciallist. Not the minimum wage walla in JJB.

You have just over 4 months to increase from 1.5 miles to 6.2. That is some ask.
Proper warm ups and warm downs are a must to prevent injuries.

Run to a realistic pace. You aint no Steve Cram (who is?!).

I began with 1.5 mile a few years ago. gradually built up to 10k now. I set myself realistic goals.

Good luck.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Cheers Patrick, my aims are really; a) to finish the damn thing, b) to finish on foot not stretcher, c) to raise a few bob. I'll be aiming for an hour but that's not the be all. I want to have a go really and enjoy it. I do need some new footwear though so I'd better stop being a tight cunt about it.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 pm

In the past runners didn't bother so much about suitable footwear but that lead to countless injuries which were unneccessary.
Many runners have under or over pronated feet. It may not seem serious but badly fitted shoes can lead to knee problems and other related injuries. If you can, find a store which has gait analysis. Some have treadmills and even use video to film you running so it's easy to spot any problems. If you are under or over pronated, a shoe which corrects that will feel much more comfortable after a few miles and will prevent knee or even hip pain kicking in later on. Running doesn't need much equipment. The one thing you need is a pair of shoes so it's worth getting a pair you can rely on and that will protect you from injury. Remember, injuries will impinge upon your job etc so it's worth spending a bit on this to make sure it's okay.
Good luck Ponte, it's a great thing you are doing. You are helping others and at the same time helping yourself via fitness - a win-win!

Ponte wrote:Cheers Patrick, my aims are really; a) to finish the damn thing, b) to finish on foot not stretcher, c) to raise a few bob. I'll be aiming for an hour but that's not the be all. I want to have a go really and enjoy it. I do need some new footwear though so I'd better stop being a tight cunt about it.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 am

With 3 weeks to go until the 10k, I am now doing 4 miles reasonably comfortably, just need to add another 2.2 miles now :shock:
What I want to know is do any of you fellas use or have any thoughts on energy gels? Also do you have any nutrition advice for the days leading up and the morning of the 'race'?
Cheers
Hmmm.

Simon0268

Running?

Postby Simon0268 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Ponte wrote:With 3 weeks to go until the 10k, I am now doing 4 miles reasonably comfortably, just need to add another 2.2 miles now :shock:
What I want to know is do any of you fellas use or have any thoughts on energy gels? Also do you have any nutrition advice for the days leading up and the morning of the 'race'?
Cheers

I've done years of running - retired now and would say for a 10k you shouldn't need energy gels. They are good for longer distances, but water should be enough for 10k.

Days leading up is carbo loading - pasta bread etc... As for morning of race, I always used to have an espresso coffe and a bowl of oat so simple golden syrup flavour made with milk. It's good slow burn carbs

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat May 28, 2011 6:44 pm

swcoach wrote:
Ponte wrote:With 3 weeks to go until the 10k, I am now doing 4 miles reasonably comfortably, just need to add another 2.2 miles now :shock:
Cheers

I've done years of running - retired now and would say for a 10k you shouldn't need energy gels. They are good for longer distances, but water should be enough for 10k.

Days leading up is carbo loading - pasta bread etc... As for morning of race, I always used to have an espresso coffe and a bowl of oat so simple golden syrup flavour made with milk. It's good slow burn carbs

Cheers :thumbl:
Hmmm.

Simon0268

Running?

Postby Simon0268 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Ponte wrote:
swcoach wrote:
Cheers

Cheers :thumbl:

No worries, just don't do too much in week before and nothing from the Thursday - if it's a Sunday race.

And good luck!

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:09 am

Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

Any advice from seasoned runners on knee care or knee strengthening??

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 am

LSD&2Es wrote:Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

My knees used to always hurt after playing football or running. My solution was to stop doing both.

Glad to be of help.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 am

Did a charity 5k a couple of months ago, using C25K to haul this mass off said couch, to get around the Serpentine. Having done no exercise at all and smoked aplenty since retirement some 25 years ago from 'National 1' rugby, I needed the help.

It worked, but on the down side, I'm still hurting - heels, shins, knees and hips all now a permanent ache.

Which is why, since the 5k, I've not run further than for a bus.
I like it. What is it?

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 am

LSD&2Es wrote:Bumped to say I've just finished day 2 of my C25k (couch to 5k) programme. Quite pleased with myself so far, though I'm not convinced my knees will hold up to it.

:salute: Fairplay. I run a bit, really to keep my weight down a bit as my diet is terrible. If you're a gym member, the treadmill isn't too bad on your knees. And cross-training rather than running is lower impact.

Otherwise, try to run on grass rather than pavements or roads.

I have to run 2 marathons in 7 days on October (forgot I had signed up to Yorkshire so entered Frankfurt a week later due to horrific admin oversight) and the training is currently killing me.

Think I may have said on here before how bad lots of running actually is for the body, i cant play football any more cos of sciatica et al. All things in moderation etc etc.

East Stand Si

Postby East Stand Si » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 am

Worth getting one of those rollers, big solid sponge thing and just roll outside of knees against it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005QQS ... X110_SY190

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Cheers ESS will try that...

And Mindo, "I run a bit..." to "....2 marathons in 7 days" in one paragraph, fuckin hell, glad you don't run a lot!!!

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Wonder what happened to Patrick HK, hasn't been around for well over a year. Shame, he was a good poster.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:41 pm

We've got a treadmill, but I find that ruins my knees. Have been running around the local park sticking to the grass. I guess it's about strengthening now.

The first week of the C25k (and I think a large part if it actually) is based on alternate jogging and walking. I'm clearly unfitter than I thought as even 20 mins is a challenge..for now!.

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:Cheers ESS will try that...

And Mindo, "I run a bit..." to "....2 marathons in 7 days" in one paragraph, fuckin hell, glad you don't run a lot!!!

Doing quite a bit at the moment, but I will do the square root of no exercise from 27 October to Christmas! And I'm not a good runner, still struggling to break 4 hours for marathon so pretty slow

Hatstand
Location: Somewhere between happy and sad, depending on the day

Postby Hatstand » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Cycling and swimming to help strengthen your knees and legs without the impact of the road. Start out on your own but to improve your stamina and strength you'll need to train with someone to help push you and vice versa.
More reasons than most....

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Wonder what happened to Patrick HK, hasn't been around for well over a year. Shame, he was a good poster.

Yep. And those dogs are fucking desperate.

IIRC he was posting less and less, mainly CKs and this thread. Too busy, maybe.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:01 pm

thechubbyone wrote:

My knees used to always hurt after playing football or running. My solution was to stop doing both.

Glad to be of help.

:mrgreen:
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”