Running?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Perseus

Re: Running?

Postby Perseus » Sun May 23, 2010 6:43 pm

A Wasp hit me in the teeth today and stung me on the lip before i could spit the bugger out. By the time I finished the run I looked like Lesley Ash's twin brother.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Painful!

I've avoided herds of feral cows, rampaging wild boar, hurdled over bamboo snakes and run like fuck from black asian cobras but so far no injuries!

Touch wood! :mrgreen:

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:02 pm

I've been fairly quiet on this subject , especially since the new site started up ( not exactly new now , is it ?) .
Anyway , still doing the running - had a couple of races at the weekend and finished top 5 in both . Both trail runs , Saturday 6 miles , Sunday 9 miles ( 3rd , 5th) - 20 runners and 50+ runners . Want to do some more fell runs this year , and only do off road stuff these days ( X country , trail , fell ) . Managed 39 races last year and aleady on 15 this year , though rarely over 10 miles .
Must make more effort to post on here ( formerly Essexwhite or something on old site )

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Quiffy wrote:i've signed up for the jane tomlinson 10k in leeds in early july. the plan is it will motivate me to get in shape for the summer. i last did it 2 years ago after getting plastered the night before and sweated it out during the race. i bumped into some lads i went to school with who probably now think i'm an alcy.

i'm hoping to beat 45 mins for the first time.

46 mins 56. not enough lavs meant i waited for ages to balance my hydration levels so i never got anywhere near the front for the kick off. then too many fat fuckers got in my way so it was a walk and slow weaving round the pesky fun runners for the first 2k round the city centre.

my training was textbook anorl with loads of personal bests. still 377th out of over 6700 isn't bad.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 pm

As you say, a good result Quiffy. You're right too about 10ks. If you don't sort out the start you will never get the PB you deserve. It's worth arriving ridiculously early, doing you neurotic toilet routine (mine certainly is) and getting yourself up at the start line before the crush builds up.
To get a serious, satisfying PB you need to get into your target pacing as soon as possible. If you are off during the first 2k then it's all over already. Generally, if you can hit your pacing early and maintain it through the middle part of the race, you will manage to keep your pacing going even when you are in pain during the final 2k...when you think you're slowing up but in fact are maintaining the pace - it's the pain which is increasing and this makes you think you are slowing up.
Welcome Clacton, I love trail running and I want to get into fell running back in the UK. My first target is long distance - the Lakeland 100 next year and after that I fancy some the shorter but more traditional fell races like Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Borrowdale...I'd love to hear what you know about these races and fell running in general.
Unfortunately I can only get back during school holidays.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Anyone have any good websites with training programs for half/full mara?

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:53 am

jackos wrote:Anyone have any good websites with training programs for half/full mara?

Jackos, there are many marathon schedules on the web which outline the basics and probably only vary in the finer details.
This guy has been a safe-bet for years: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm
Good luck, let us know how it pans out.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:02 am

I had a lucky escape recently.

I signed up for a 156K trail race over here and managed to find a mate willing to join me. Unfortunately due to my studies and work pressure my training fell away and I was heading for disaster. I have never failed to finish to race but I could very easily see me dying on this one.
However, a super large storm arose in the South China Sea and turned into a huge typhoon heading straight for Hong Kong. The day before the race the organisers had to cancel the event as they were going to have scores of volunteers scattered across remote areas of the territory and most of them would be from youth groups. I'm sure the runners would have been fine (hardy, super-fit souls) but there were concerns over the young volunteers being stranded on hill tops during a force 10 or 11 typhoon.
As luck would have it the typhoon veered away at the last minute and left a beautiful weekend with no race!

To be honest I think I dodged a bullet...my record still intact! :thumbl:

Anyway, next Friday, 19th November is the annual Oxfam Trailwalker 100k race here and we are trying for a second successive +50 category win (all 4 team-mates over 50) and, hopefully, a new record.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Quiffy wrote:i'm hoping to beat 45 mins for the first time.

i failed to do it back in may - too many fun runners clogging my path. today was a different matter :D .

my preparations were good, i stayed sober last night and had remembered to get some of them glucose pills and fancy sports drinks. but arriving at the town hall, i thought my plans were to be bollocksed by the long queue for the lavs, which would have left me stuck at the back again behind all the fatties, so i watered the town hall bins instead, thus allowing me 15 minutes to get nearer the start among the proper runners.

i got a decent start and didn't have to weave and pause to get past groups of nattering women and then i ran. and ran. and ran for 10 km up to Kirkstall abbey and back. i'd like to thank the blond woman who overtook me at 7k for having a very shapely rear and a pair of tight hotpants. after that i knew i was going to be alright. i followed her to near then finishing line when i overtook her. i thanked her later, and found she was marginally better from behind than the front, but i wasn't going to complain, as i got round in 44 minutes 31 secs which is a personal best and family record, improving on my sportier brother's best efforts. :cheers:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

col

Postby col » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Quiffy wrote:i'm hoping to beat 45 mins for the first time.

i failed to do it back in may - too many fun runners clogging my path. today was a different matter :D .

my preparations were good, i stayed sober last night and had remembered to get some of them glucose pills and fancy sports drinks. but arriving at the town hall, i thought my plans were to be bollocksed by the long queue for the lavs, which would have left me stuck at the back again behind all the fatties, so i watered the town hall bins instead, thus allowing me 15 minutes to get nearer the start among the proper runners.

i got a decent start and didn't have to weave and pause to get past groups of nattering women and then i ran. and ran. and ran for 10 km up to Kirkstall abbey and back. i'd like to thank the blond woman who overtook me at 7k for having a very shapely rear and a pair of tight hotpants. after that i knew i was going to be alright. i followed her to near then finishing line when i overtook her. i thanked her later, and found she was marginally better from behind than the front, but i wasn't going to complain, as i got round in 44 minutes 31 secs which is a personal best and family record, improving on my sportier brother's best efforts. :cheers:

well done. didn't you even give her a slap on the arse on the way past pointing out her camel toe.

today, i ran a bath :king:
fuck off

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:48 am

Nice one Quiffy, it's a great feeling to make progress and improve on your previous times. To be honest, girls in lycra pants have kept my spirits up in many races when I have started feeling negative. I think the inventor should be given a nobel prize!

As for the Oxfam Trailwalker 100k last Friday...it all went according to plan. We stuck to our intended split times and even though I had a worry after 5 or 6 hours when the unexpected heat started draining me a little, I hung on until the sun went down and it was fine.
After 92k we came up behind another team and thought about trying to pass them. They had other ideas but they panicked and started running up hills etc to get away from us. We played the waiting game and they burnt themselves out. With 3k to go we had a shoulder to shoulder 'sprint' with them down the road towards the finish and we emerged the victors. They were pissed off when they (fire services fitness trainers) found out they had been out-run by a team of over 50 year olds...I had a laugh too (once I picked myself up off the ground at the finish).
We came 10th out of over 1,000 teams and lowered the veteran record (our record last year) by almost half an hour. Our new record: 14 hours 29mins.
On..on!

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:50 am

...and i bet there weren't even any blonde fitties with tight buns to follow.

100k? fucking madness. respect is due.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:55 am

So, I'm still struggling to try and recover my full fitness and get back on track. I ran the China Coast Marathon in 3:41:00 which is quite slow for me although I hadn't put in a long run for over a month before and the course is severe - makes Boston with its 'Heartbreak Hill' seem like Rotterdam i.e. FLAT.

I'm still not managing to put in anything like the sessions I need to but meanwhile I'm still sending in applications for races as though everything's fine (note to self...).

Anyway, I was entered in a team race - The Green Power 50K race along the Hong Kong Trail on Hong Island, from the Peak to Big Wave Bay. All week I had had pains in my knee and was beginning to get worried as the weekend drew near.
Luckily, on the day I only felt a mild ache and despite a bad attack of cramp on the last ridge section (Dragon's Back) before dropping down to the finish, we won the team race despite 2 of our 3-man team being over 50. Time: 4:47 which is off my pb of 4:36 but still acceptable due to my present condition.

I'm intending to work hard during the next few weeks before the Hong Kong Marathon on the 20th February.

On, on.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Fellow athletes;
Right, advice needed. I'm signed up to the Leeds 10k this year (sponsorship thread in due course) and am looking for tips. I can currently run 1.5 miles without stopping, I do fitness training twice a week and I am improving (I can now climb stairs without gasping).
Any cunt that has ideas on a schedule to build me up to doing 10k in time for June please step forward......
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

col

Postby col » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Ponte wrote:Fellow athletes;
Right, advice needed. I'm signed up to the Leeds 10k this year (sponsorship thread in due course) and am looking for tips. I can currently run 1.5 miles without stopping, I do fitness training twice a week and I am improving (I can now climb stairs without gasping).
Any cunt that has ideas on a schedule to build me up to doing 10k in time for June please step forward......

Aye, don't meet up in April for the Forest piss-up. It'll set your training back months.

Alternatively, dress provocatively in same lambs wool and look seductively at Welsh White, sure you'll easily win the race being chased by a Taff in wellies with a semi-on.
fuck off

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:10 pm

col wrote:

Aye, don't meet up in April for the Forest piss-up. It'll set your training back months.

Alternatively, dress provocatively in same lambs wool and look seductively at Welsh White, sure you'll easily win the race being chased by a Taff in wellies with a semi-on.

:puker: nothing beats the real thing :D .

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:52 pm

i bought myself one of these...nike plus gizmo. helps keep me motivated. i also got some lycra. as well as feeling sexy, the leggings keep your leg muscles warm while running so you get less stiffness. the lycra tops accentuate your fatty bits which stops you ever think you're fit enough.

is it the jane tomlinson 10k?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Quiffy wrote:

i bought myself one of these...nike plus gizmo. helps keep me motivated. i also got some lycra. as well as feeling sexy, the leggings keep your leg muscles warm while running so you get less stiffness. the lycra tops accentuate your fatty bits which stops you ever think you're fit enough.

Yeah I've invested the lycra, and I do look damn sexy in it. Aye it's the Jane Tomlinson one.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

jim o

Postby jim o » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

You have to start building up your stamina, by increasing the distance you run.

Also get the balance of fuel right. Each person is different.

Invest in some decent running shoes. Not some £20.00 Netto ones. The good ones look after your feet and ankles.If you can, get them 'fitted' by an speciallist. Not the minimum wage walla in JJB.

You have just over 4 months to increase from 1.5 miles to 6.2. That is some ask.
Proper warm ups and warm downs are a must to prevent injuries.

Run to a realistic pace. You aint no Steve Cram (who is?!).

I began with 1.5 mile a few years ago. gradually built up to 10k now. I set myself realistic goals.

Good luck.

Beer Pig

Postby Beer Pig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Ponte wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

Yeah I've invested the lycra, and I do look damn sexy in it. Aye it's the Jane Tomlinson one.

A visit to the opticians.
I gave up beer, it was the worst 15 minutes of my life.

Return to “The Square Ball”