Running?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Patrick-Hong Kong

Running?

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:30 am

Seeing as how we have moved and the locks on the old place are probably being replaced as we speak I thought I'd open this discussion for like-minded runners to share advice and experiences.

Contrary to the advice I've been giving, my marathon preparation has been atrocious as all my training has been for ultra-running and mountain marathons. While the distance is no problem, the high tempo and repetitive nature of marathon road running have been severely neglected. Consequently I'm targeting a time of around 3:20-3:30 for Sunday's Hong Kong Marathon.
To be honest, my main goal is the week after which will be the final race in the 'King of the hills' series. If I can win my age group I will secure second spot in my age group series awards. Fingers crossed for that one. Good to everyone who will be running the London Marathon, hopefully one day I will run it myself.
Cheers lads!

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 am

I cant even remember the last time I did any running, well beyond trying not to get run over when crossing the road. Good luck to you Patrick.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:02 am

SimonB wrote:I cant even remember the last time I did any running, well beyond trying not to get run over when crossing the road. Good luck to you Patrick.

I remember you running for a connecting flight in Mexico City, screaming like a girl I might add.

"We're gonna miss it, we're gonna miss it"

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 am

B@stard wrote:
SimonB wrote:I cant even remember the last time I did any running, well beyond trying not to get run over when crossing the road. Good luck to you Patrick.

I remember you running for a connecting flight in Mexico City, screaming like a girl I might add.

Dont remember that mate, must have wiped it from my mind.......

Fucking air mexico couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:59 am

SimonB wrote:
B@stard wrote:

Dont remember that mate, must have wiped it from my mind.......

Fucking air mexico couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery

I remember years ago catching a flight back to the UK from Crete, pissed, and fed up waiting for the flight. As soon as they announced boarding I realised that I'd forgotten to check in. I blamed it on Retsina.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Oh well, it could have been worse.
I started out at an easy pace but once I reached half way I felt strong so I slowly upped my tempo and ended up with some sod draughting me, almost clipping my heels - why didn't someone shelter ME from the oncoming wind!? bastards. Anyway I finished in 3 hours 9 mins, around 3 mins adrift of my PB.
I just need to recover in time for next Sunday's 'King of the Hills' race (37K).

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Nice one, Patrick!

My training for the Edinburgh marathon is going ok, so I'm fairly confident of a decent time (whatever that is!).
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:33 pm

how was your gps watch?.i may get one or two of them when i come out in august,.......good luck for next week.

Storry

Postby Storry » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:34 pm

I've done the kimm and lamm in the 90's, but I started running marathons around 18 months ago. I wish I'd ran a few when I was younger, too old and unfit now. I'd love to beat 4 hours, but motivation for training has been a problem since November. Not sure why. Maybe it's tied to Leeds results.

I use the forerunner 305 and have had no problems with it. Is there anything better on the market?

Might do the omm this year if our kid is up for it.

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:53 pm

There's a forerunner 405 out now, it's got all the full monty yet is the size of a normal watch. I'm a bit dubious at the moment because someone told me that it's difficult to make a sensitive enough aerial so small.
My 205 worked fine, I used the pacing on it as I ran which helped a lot. When I downloaded the info later onto google earth there were a couple of wierd things. Near to the end of the race my path appeared to zigzag through buildings into the next street and the last Kilometre was timed at 42 minutes! It could be that all the close, tall buildings near to the finish screwed things up. I'm going to make a few enquiries to see what went wrong.

H-Bombs

Postby H-Bombs » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:01 pm

At this stage, I couldn't run out of a burning house.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Just did Long Mynd fell run a couple of weeks back ......... first real experiance on the fells , though we were near the back of the field ( girlfriend ran too , and is afraid of heights ....like me ) , we enjoyed the experience . Last 3 miles contained climbs of roughly 800ft and two of 1000ft + , very very steep one's too ....coming down isn't any easier either. My Inov8's were next to destroyed on the run ( fell shoes ) . Trouble is now , cross country season is coming to an end and that means boring old road runs until October , mind you I generally find some tough off road races around the country anyway , plenty if you look .

sweeper

Postby sweeper » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:45 pm

I've got a 305 and have downloaded all the info onto my laptop, however I wasn't aware you could download it to google earth, how do you do that exactly?

Storry

Postby Storry » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:59 pm

To get it into google earth I upload the info to http://www.motionbased.com and follow the links from there.

You can then export it in a format that works with Memory-Map, if you have that software.

Tall buildings do affect the watch, had that problem at the start and finish of the Dublin Marathon the other year. My 305 also seems to have a problem working out where I am when I press 'start', but it's usually pretty accurate after that. Just need to compensate for an extra 100m or so.

For marathons I always set two of the displays to show average pace/lap and average pace/total. Good bit of kit.

sweeper

Postby sweeper » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks Storry I'll try that. You are right the 305 is a great bit of kit had mine for about a month now. The one thing I've found that is a bit is that the GPS mapping on the software seems a bit off. It only shows the main roads and if I run down one of these roads the GPS shows me running about a 1/2 K east of it, strange......

Patrick-Hong Kong

Postby Patrick-Hong Kong » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm

If you need to use motion based full time you need to pay I believe. I downloaded a programme called 'SportTracks' which is free. It's good and if you have installed google earth you just hit 'export to google earth' and it does everything for you.
What I'd like to do is plot a route, stick it onto google earth and have an indicator running around the route. I could plot all the races my club organises and then stick them on the website so runners can see the route before they enter. Anyone know how to do that?
My Garmin training centre has stopped working now...everytime I connect to the watch it says 'cannot download' or something. It works fine into sportTracks so it's obviously not the watch, maybe I should reinstall the software (I'm using vista home premium).

sweeper

Postby sweeper » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:34 pm

A lot of the motionbased features are free , yes there are some things you need to subscribe for but the free stuff is certainly enough for me.

The forum section http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php seems to be a fairly good place to go if you are having problems with your 305, usually a software update or a soft/hard reset seems to solve peoples problems.

I've only been looking at Motionbased for a day but looks useful

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:32 pm

unless you're a footballer, running is a proper cuntish thing to do
and even then a lot of footballers cant run very well at all
Here we go..

NE1

Postby NE1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Are you all mad?????

If God had meant us top run he wouldn't have invented the walking pace or mans' ingenuity to produce cars :roll:

:shock:

Storry

Postby Storry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Patrick-Hong Kong wrote:the last Kilometre was timed at 42 minutes!

Did you remember to press 'stop' at the finish? :)

Return to “The Square Ball”