Running?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Running?

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 am

Ponte wrote:Cheeky post (prompted by tfp mentioning he’d kindly donated to a cancer charity) but I’m running for Macmillan in the Great North Run later this year, if anyone is kind enough to sponsor me you can do so here
:thumbl:

:salute: done.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Ponte wrote:Cheeky post (prompted by tfp mentioning he’d kindly donated to a cancer charity) but I’m running for Macmillan in the Great North Run later this year, if anyone is kind enough to sponsor me you can do so here

i did a half marathon once, didn't enjoy it, so am happy to pay someone else to do it.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:38 pm

jackos wrote:I try, but have never run more than 13KM, I keep telling myself I'll do the Stockholm and Leeds half marathons one year - doubt I'll ever do a full marathon, but a half would be fun.

Having said that I might be up for a TSB half marathon if folks where up for it? Leeds is a year off - Sunday 8th May 2016 - so plenty of time to get some practice in. Stockholm is in September, so a good date weather wise, but maybe a bit soon for me :)

I did the Leeds one many years ago - I' not one for city courses so didn't enjoy it much and plodded around in around 1hr 44 mins - back then I was regularly around 1hr 25 mins usually , so I can only think I was either injured or bored ( it was around 1992ish ) . It was a distance that was either hit or miss for me big time , didn't train for them specifically and avoided marathons altogether . 20 miles was probably my limit ( 2hrs 24 at best) , I preferred either off road or 5mile/10k races . I did do Baildon a few years later - a bloody tough route taking in part of Emmerdale Farm scenery ( I'm from Essex now and originally a Brummie - NOT a Leeds local , so these were weekend trips with my running club - Gt Bentley RC , nr Colchester ) - Baildon - lovely route , most off road which I love , but tough. What made it interesting was that a couple of tight fisted Scots went with us and insisted on spending very little that weekend - going to a Chinese and buying a bowl of rice between them , so I proceeded to pig out on everything going just to rub it in , which did very little for my race strategy . The bloody Scot was on my arse the whole race , never got a minute rest , but eventually beat him by a couple of minutes - no thanks to a weekend of pigging it.
Don't run so much these days at 55 , not in a club any more and nowhere near the pace I used to be , I go out if I feel like it and just try to enjoy . Haven't raced properly for 3 years or so , probably the only thing I really miss is cross country - loved cross country season :D

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Quiffy wrote:

i did a half marathon once, didn't enjoy it, so am happy to pay someone else to do it.

Thank you, sir. Appreciated.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm

I run 20 miles three times a week. Just donated.....Good luck.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm

welshwhite wrote:I run 20 miles three times a week. Just donated.....Good luck.

:salute:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Clacton white wrote:I did the Leeds one many years ago -

that's the one that did it for me. didn't mind the first half or so, out of the city up stainbeck lane to the ring road. didn't mind the ring road with the hill up to weetwood, it was the steep downhill past abbey grange that smashed my knees to a pulp, the last 3 or 4 miles after that were horrid.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Don't know if this belongs in here or the stupid cunt thread...

...but I've signed up to do some ultra running in Feb 2019. Basic gist is I've got to get through 150 miles of Costa Rican jungle/river/beach/mountains in 6 days. Not sure how prepared I am for it, but I'm sure it'll be reet.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:Don't know if this belongs in here or the stupid cunt thread...

...but I've signed up to do some ultra running in Feb 2019. Basic gist is I've got to get through 150 miles of Costa Rican jungle/river/beach/mountains in 6 days. Not sure how prepared I am for it, but I'm sure it'll be reet.

I went running this afternoon. In the September heat. Down south. About four miles, along the river Poole, so, obviously, lots of nettles and stuff. Stopped in Mayow Park to do some weights on the outdoor machines too. Way harder than what you're doing. Fucking lightweight.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Great North Run on Sunday. That’s soon sneaked up on me.
Hmmm.

London_White

Postby London_White » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Well on the same theme will be doing a triathlon next year. Cycling and running not a bother but am now on fourth swimming lesson so some way to go...
Haven't decided which place but have decided on a half iron-man, 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and half marathon to finish.
Can't wait.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm thinking of running the London marathon again.

I thought about it a few years ago.

Is this think on?

Hello?
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 am

Go for it Ontolly
Did it 3 years ago for the fifth time, the organisation, spectators etc just seems to get better. Hadn't run it for about 12 years or so and remembered taking a long time to get over the start line because of crowds, this time you had a letter on your running number and you had to go to a certain place in the start queue. Stopped all the slow runners crowding to the front and meant that instead of taking 15 minutes to get going it took two, meant I missed my girlfriend and mates at Tower Bridge as I was there about 20 minutes sooner than expected and they were still in the pub!

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:40 am

You get given this tracker things these days and a weblink to share.

So your girlfriend will know exactly which pubs to go to when she next wants to avoid you and go get boozed with your mates instead.
I like it. What is it?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 am

Yeah I stuck my name in the ballot for the London Marathon...bet I get a fucking place.
Hmmm.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:37 am

Great North Run day!
Fuck.
Hmmm.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 am

G’luck...
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:50 am

Ponte wrote:Great North Run day!
Fuck.

Enjoy!

(Berk)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:02 am

Fuck.

Good luck, enjoy it if that's at all possible.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 am

Fuck.

You've come a long way since you attempted to carry that cement at my gaff :lol:

Good luck and I'll sort some readies out later.

Return to “The Square Ball”