t'premier leeg.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
topbin

t'premiership

Postby topbin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:40 am

MightyWhite wrote:I suspect Villa will be ok, mainly due to the fact they have a very good striker (Bent) and a not-awful defence. Their midfield is pretty wank now though.

Bent is the Jermaine Beckford of the Premiership, take that whatever way you like. And what's this I'm hearing about their defence?! An ageing, slow Richard Dunne and Carlos Cuellar? Let's not forget Shay Given, most overrated keeper in the Premiership as well. I reckon he must be the keeper who had conceded the most goals in the Premiership.

I'm looking forward to banking my £90 when they go down ;)

AndyPaul

Re: t'premiership

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 am

topbin wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:I suspect Villa will be ok, mainly due to the fact they have a very good striker (Bent) and a not-awful defence. Their midfield is pretty wank now though.

Bent is the Jermaine Beckford of the Premiership, take that whatever way you like. And what's this I'm hearing about their defence?! An ageing, slow Richard Dunne and Carlos Cuellar? Let's not forget Shay Given, most overrated keeper in the Premiership as well. I reckon he must be the keeper who had conceded the most goals in the Premiership.

It started off as a sensible post but Shay Given? Overrated? Really?

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 am

topbin wrote:

There are worse defences than Villa's, but yeah I was very careful to say "not-awful" rather than "good", or "half decent".

I tend to largely agree with you on Given too. He's a perfectly good top 10 goalkeeper, but he's not as good as Friedel.
Keep Fighting

The Gentleman Thug

Re: the premiershit

Postby The Gentleman Thug » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 pm

moscowhite wrote:Speaking of obnoxious Manchester City players:

101 Great Goals wrote:So far we have been spared big column inches surrounding the future of Emmanuel Adebayor with the Manchester City striker holding out for a move back to Real Madrid after his loan spell at the Bernabeu.

In typical style, the former Arsenal and Monaco hitman has been on holiday in Accra and bizarre footage has emerged of Adebayor at a Ghana Meets Naija concert over the weekend.

Sporting the ridiculous attire of white trainers, white shorts, white shirt and tie, Adebayor approached the stage, presumably unexpectedly, and showered one of the dancers with money before returning to his seat near the front of the crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgeDhHS-bRs

Just heard on the radio that Adebayor is paid £178k a week. FUCKING HELL!! How on earth did that happen?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Oh, Mr Tevez. What a very silly man you are.
Member of a clique

sweeper

Postby sweeper » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Footballers eh? The little scamps.....

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 am

fairly shocking stuff.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am

Dunno what to make of Citeh, I really don't.

On the basis that I'm already presupposing the Prem to be financially ludicrous money-spunking toss, I have some sympathy for the idea that they should at least make a decent fist of trying to compete with Scum. They've at least been in League One in recent memory, and I suspect that Basingstoke is very much more sparsely populated with light-blue shirt-wearing ten year olds than of their 'rivals'.

But whatever they do and however much they spend, it just always seems to turn to shit. They're like a footballing anti-Midas.
Member of a clique

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:37 am

eric olthwaite wrote:I have some sympathy for the idea that they should at least make a decent fist of trying to compete with Scum.

It's good to see more competition and all that, but it isn't sport innit? It's just like they've got a cheat code for championship manager, it's boring. That's why it's so wonderful that Chelseas still haven't won the European Cup, the way they've all embraced this new money bollocks is what makes the image of Terry clowning that penalty such a wonderful one.

And what a wonderful pantomine arsehole Tevez is, I wouldn't weep if he got hit by a bus tomorrer.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 am

What? Even though Terry clowning that penalty gifted the trophy to the Salford lot?

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

gazurtoids wrote:What? Even though Terry clowning that penalty gifted the trophy to the Salford lot?

Well of course I wasn't happy to see that lot with their stupid fucking grins on their stupid fucking faces, :puker: but the memory of that image of Terry went a long way to helping me deal with it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 am

Man Called Sun wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:It's just like they've got a cheat code for championship manager, it's boring.

Arguably, Scum's cheat code is that they make a fortune on the back of shirt sales and TV revenue from gullible fucktards in the Far East. Not sure there's a massive difference.

Trouble is, if no-one was allowed to overspend to get to a comparable level with Scum, those cunts will be champions in perpetuity.

I don't want that.
Member of a clique

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:44 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Man Called Sun wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:It's just like they've got a cheat code for championship manager, it's boring.

Arguably, Scum's cheat code is that they make a fortune on the back of shirt sales and TV revenue from gullible fucktards in the Far East. Not sure there's a massive difference.

Trouble is, if no-one was allowed to overspend to get to a comparable level with Scum, those cunts will be champions in perpetuity.

I don't want that.

yeah. i much prefer foreign gazillionaires pumping money into the game than a big leech like the 'red devils' sucking potential money out of other english clubs by tempting football watchers all over the country into armchair manyoo 'rooting' rather than following their local team.

even the very most lavishly backed 'sugar daddy' clubs [citeh, blackburn, chelsea] have only managed to build themselves up to be strong enough to challenge manyoo as equals for a season or two. none have been anything like unbeatable [other than perhaps in mourinho's first year at chelsea] or succeeded in creating anything remotely like a lasting dynasty.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:50 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Arguably, Scum's cheat code is that they make a fortune on the back of shirt sales and TV revenue from gullible fucktards in the Far East. Not sure there's a massive difference.

Aye, but theoretically theres nowt stopping anyone else doing the same isn't there? And indeed many have tried. I have no intention of defending the bastards, mind. I just hate the idea of football clubs being the playthings of billionaires, know what I mean? It's nowt to do with football. I know a few Chelsea fans who have been put off the whole thing since the Abramovic takeover, it's just empty, empty stuff.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Arguably, Scum's cheat code is that they make a fortune on the back of shirt sales and TV revenue from gullible fucktards in the Far East. Not sure there's a massive difference.

I don't want that.

I don't want that either, but their approach is hardly a cheat code, its something to aspire to, using sporting advantage to gain a business advantage, thus generating the funds to maintain/increase that advantage.

What FIFA/UEFA need to do IMO is to make the fair play rules division wide, in addition to club rules. ie noone should be allowed to spend more than x% of the divisional average turnover (not via a straight mean, as that changes nowt, needs to be a median), but less than that is your own club is below the average (to stop the over-spending). It'd then be in the interests of the likes of scum to raise the financial profile of the stoke's and wigan's of the league in order to imcrease their spending power vs european clubs.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 am

Phil LUFC wrote:What FIFA/UEFA need to do IMO is to make the fair play rules division wide, in addition to club rules. ie noone should be allowed to spend more than x% of the divisional average turnover (not via a straight mean, as that changes nowt), but less than that is your own club is below the average (to stop the over-spending). It'd then be in the interests of the likes of scum to raise the financial profile of of the league in order to imcrease their spending power vs european clubs.

Aye, I agree, that'd undoubtedly be a good thing. Why did the football task force not come to us before they wrote their report?

Phil LUFC wrote:the stoke's and wigan's

Fucking hell, don't let the punctuation mafia see that.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:10 am

Phil LUFC wrote:using sporting advantage to gain a business advantage, thus generating the funds to maintain/increase that advantage.

I know I'm a bit biased, bit it's not as simple as that, is it?

In the seventies they weren't that good, but they were still popular amongst young kids with very small dicks because of some perceived glamour type shit.
Member of a clique

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:07 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Oh, Mr Tevez. What a very silly man you are.

There's a good piece on that by that man Daniel Taylor in today's Guardian.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:08 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:using sporting advantage to gain a business advantage, thus generating the funds to maintain/increase that advantage.

I know I'm a bit biased, bit it's not as simple as that, is it?

In the seventies they weren't that good, but they were still popular amongst young kids with very small dicks because of some perceived glamour type shit.

Before my time, so, dunno! Maybe a lot in that, but even so, it must have come back to good marketting.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:the stoke's and wigan's

Fucking hell, don't let the punctuation mafia see that.

At the risk of a lot of flack, I don't see the problem? Both are names, and I thought I'd used the correct level of punctuation if I'm honest.

So, go on then, enlighten me to the error of my ways....

Return to “The Square Ball”