Calling all computer smart arses!

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Phil LUFC

Re: Calling all computer smart arses!

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Poshwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I’ve got my work PC tower at home which I’m barely using as I have a project client provided laptop.

The PC tower has no WiFi and needs hard-wiring into our router. This is a pain in terms of office setup for the few times I need to use it. Is there not a gizmo you can plug into the data port for WiFi? If there is, what it’s called?

NB: I don’t really want to start fannying about putting a WiFi card in the pc.

Have you googled the words “usb” and “WiFi”?

Indeed, many options available under £15.

Poshwhite

Postby Poshwhite » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Poshwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I’ve got my work PC tower at home which I’m barely using as I have a project client provided laptop.

The PC tower has no WiFi and needs hard-wiring into our router. This is a pain in terms of office setup for the few times I need to use it. Is there not a gizmo you can plug into the data port for WiFi? If there is, what it’s called?

NB: I don’t really want to start fannying about putting a WiFi card in the pc.

Have you googled the words “usb” and “WiFi”?

Indeed, many options available under £15.

Or, a lot of WiFi extenders have a network cable socket.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Poshwhite wrote:Have you googled the words “usb” and “WiFi”?

Now, y’see, being a thick cunt I thought I’d be looking for summat to go into the data port not any old usb.
Member of a clique

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Excel question... I don't suppose anyone knows how to quickly and easily do this? (this isn't the real data, by the way - many more rows & columns in the real thing, a ballsache to do). Thanks in advance.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:55 pm

the flying pig wrote:Excel question... I don't suppose anyone knows how to quickly and easily do this? (this isn't the real data, by the way - many more rows & columns in the real thing, a ballsache to do). Thanks in advance.

Simple that, what am I missing?

Column A and B are effectively already done.
Copy column A and C, (ranges, not full columns), paste at the bottom so the values are in A and B.
Repeat for columns A and D.
Filter on blanks in column B and delete those rows.
Sort on column A.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
the flying pig wrote:Excel question... I don't suppose anyone knows how to quickly and easily do this? (this isn't the real data, by the way - many more rows & columns in the real thing, a ballsache to do). Thanks in advance.

Copy column A and C, (ranges, not full columns), paste at the bottom so the values are in A and B.
Sort on column A.

Well I suppose. But in the real thing there are I think hundreds of columns, I'd be worried about errors and /or boredom if I tried to do them all by hand.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:08 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:

Sort on column A.

Well I suppose. But in the real thing there are I think hundreds of columns, I'd be worried about errors and /or boredom if I tried to do them all by hand.

Fair enough, that does make a difference. You essentially need to "unpivot" it, I've not done that in excel but it can be done, doesn't seem too complicated: https://www.excel-university.com/unpivot-excel-data/

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 am

Phil LUFC wrote:...
Fair enough, that does make a difference. You essentially need to "unpivot" it, I've not done that in excel but it can be done, doesn't seem too complicated: https://www.excel-university.com/unpivot-excel-data/

thanks. i was up till now unfamiliar with that family of functionality, at work i'd tend to lob anything too heavy in the direction one of the 'data warehouse' type grunts, maybe it'd do me good to have a quick look at the excel stuff, work out what it can & can't do.

Leeds0269

Postby Leeds0269 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:48 am

Not exactly computer but deffo technical.

Since having SkyQ put in (at a stupid cheap price i might add after having it for years for the mrs/kids but now with all the sports etc) my wifi has gone to shit. Been on plus net for years but since Q was installed, had all sorts of problems related to dropouts, authentication, connected but no internet etc.

Am on plus net fibre so should be getting silly speeds of 50Mbps and above but the wifi is shit.

Have disabled the 5ghz as an interim fix which has worked but slowed down the overall experience as expected.

Anyone else had this issue with SkyQ?
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:01 am

Have you tried changing the channel on your WiFi router?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:06 am

How far away from your router is your primary sky box? I've never had any serious problems (virgin media) but it's only about 2 metres away from the router. Things are definitely better connected now I've stuck the eero wi-fi mesh in though.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
the flying pig wrote:Well I suppose. But in the real thing there are I think hundreds of columns, I'd be worried about errors and /or boredom if I tried to do them all by hand.

Select table cells
Cut
Paste special
Transpose

Should work?

Or at least deliver similar?
I like it. What is it?

Leeds0269

Postby Leeds0269 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:How far away from your router is your primary sky box? I've never had any serious problems (virgin media) but it's only about 2 metres away from the router. Things are definitely better connected now I've stuck the eero wi-fi mesh in though.

Not that far. Sky q is one of the few things that doesnt seem to have any issues. Everything else is dropping all the time.

Also, tried manual channel switching rather than the auto version which makes no difference.
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:07 pm

Leeds0269 wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:How far away from your router is your primary sky box? I've never had any serious problems (virgin media) but it's only about 2 metres away from the router. Things are definitely better connected now I've stuck the eero wi-fi mesh in though.

Not that far. Sky q is one of the few things that doesnt seem to have any issues. Everything else is dropping all the time.

Also, tried manual channel switching rather than the auto version which makes no difference.

As per my Happy Old Man post, it's early days but I'm quite impressed with the eero so far, all 3 devices have the same Wi-Fi SSID (spans 2G and 5G) then every device just connects through the strongest signal. Even 1 of the things offers far better Wi-Fi than the Virgin Media Hub 3 and will all 3 plugged in I have no dead spots (or none I've identified yet).

Return to “The Square Ball”