Calling all computer smart arses!

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Calling all computer smart arses!

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am

Does anyone know about Office 365 admin tools? Brief summary is that we've got a cunt we need to sack and we know he's using the chat feature in Teams to badmouth people and stir up shit generally. I don't know whether an admin can see conversation content, or for that matter whether it's legal for them to 'snoop'?
HM Collector Of Parcels

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 am

Don't know about the admin tools but surely if he's using a work computer then you are entitled to see anything he writes on it?
Should be something in the employment contract to that effect?
Last place I worked got the IT department to unearth load of emails between one of the managers and her other half, they were basically fiddling copyright/royalty on a range of releases that meant her other half got 'points' from them as 'executive producer' when he was nothing of the sort
The member of staff concerned tried to say they were private communications, but the company argued successfully that as they were made using company equipment and systems they were not private but should be considered to have been made for and on behalf of the company, the company retained the right to inspect all communications sent using its systems.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:10 am

London_White wrote:Don't know about the admin tools but surely if he's using a work computer then you are entitled to see anything he writes on it?
Should be something in the employment contract to that effect?
Last place I worked got the IT department to unearth load of emails between one of the managers and her other half, they were basically fiddling copyright/royalty on a range of releases that meant her other half got 'points' from them as 'executive producer' when he was nothing of the sort
The member of staff concerned tried to say they were private communications, but the company argued successfully that as they were made using company equipment and systems they were not private but should be considered to have been made for and on behalf of the company, the company retained the right to inspect all communications sent using its systems.

That's interesting. Years back we had a similar issue in a previous office and HR told us we did not have a right of access to personal emails unless the contract specifically stated that we did. Suspect they were just taking a conservative position though.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

We even give visitors a personal WiFi code with explicit instructions that This Is So We Can Read Your Shit. Often they choose to use their phone to hotspot...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:50 am

Ah - there's a difference I think if they are using Hotmail say, this one was using her company email - I read your post as suggesting that a company provided programme was being used, don't use Teams so not completely sure, but if access to it is gained through a work related profile and it is administered by the company then I'd suspect that the company could legitimately scrutinise all correspondence within - after all there is the potential for legal comeback if inappropriate language or content is shared in this way.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:30 am

London_White wrote:Ah - there's a difference I think if they are using Hotmail say, this one was using her company email - I read your post as suggesting that a company provided programme was being used, don't use Teams so not completely sure, but if access to it is gained through a work related profile and it is administered by the company then I'd suspect that the company could legitimately scrutinise all correspondence within - after all there is the potential for legal comeback if inappropriate language or content is shared in this way.

Essentially, Disruptive CuntTM has a little cabal of younger cronies who hang on his every word. He's good at certain aspects of his job and there's been a bit of a drawn out managerial battle about dealing with him which means he's got away with too much. I've been on Team Fuck The Benefits Ditch The Prick for some time. We've only recently started tentatively doing more stuff in 365; I nipped over to talk to someone and there was an open chat window on her desktop. I saw enough and assumed it was a Teams thing but I guess I can't rule out it being some other instant messenger setup they've all got. Anyway, think I now know we can review it, just that both people with full admin rights are on leave today.
HM Collector Of Parcels

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 am

Looks like them god darn Europeans are making life difficult for iptv services, xtream codes servers taken offline,

http://www.eurojust.europa.eu/press/Pre ... 09-18.aspx

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:08 pm

jackos wrote:Looks like them god darn Europeans are making life difficult for iptv services, xtream codes servers taken offline,

http://www.eurojust.europa.eu/press/Pre ... 09-18.aspx

That is old news jackos, most are back up and running on new servers.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:37 pm

OWETB wrote:That is old news jackos, most are back up and running on new servers.

Thanks Bastard. Its been getting worse and worse for a couple of weeks up here, yesterday a lot of the services disappeared completely. Latest news I've seen is that the authorities have lists of ip address, and that W@rldstream are forcing suppliers to move their servers. Might be that they took down the UK market first and they've had time to solve the problem. News here is that over 90% of the suppliers are effected and looking for new homes.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:39 pm

jackos wrote:
OWETB wrote:That is old news jackos, most are back up and running on new servers.

Thanks Bastard. Its been getting worse and worse for a couple of weeks up here, yesterday a lot of the services disappeared completely. Latest news I've seen is that the authorities have lists of ip address, and that W@rldstream are forcing suppliers to move their servers. Might be that they took down the UK market first and they've had time to solve the problem. News here is that over 90% of the suppliers are effected and looking for new homes.

Yeah was bad a week or two back, all back to normal now.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Ponte wrote:Yeah was bad a week or two back, all back to normal now.

Good to hear :thumbl: guess the locals will sort things out quickly if they can share experiences with the uk bods. Think its just a matter of new ips/servers, restoring back-ups etc :cheers:

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:39 pm

jackos wrote:
Ponte wrote:Yeah was bad a week or two back, all back to normal now.

Good to hear :thumbl: guess the locals will sort things out quickly if they can share experiences with the uk bods. Think its just a matter of new ips/servers, restoring back-ups etc :cheers:

Well, you have until 31st October for them to share info with you lot :mrgreen:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Ponte wrote:Well, you have until 31st October for them to share info with you lot :mrgreen:

Touché :cheers: :mrgreen:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:00 pm

best new laptop for say £250-£500? standard office use & some basic gaming? for a 16 year old boy? birthday tomorrow, ok to buy now or better to wait till 'black friday' despite missing the birthday?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm

the flying pig wrote:best new laptop for say £250-£500? standard office use & some basic gaming? for a 16 year old boy? birthday tomorrow, ok to buy now or better to wait till 'black friday' despite missing the birthday?

Black Friday in my view, if the birthday is tomorrow then anything you could get would be a high street offering and somewhat of a panic buy anyway.

Fuck knows what you can/can't get for that money now but I assume "basic gaming" extends to something like Fortnite, not candy crush. Dedicated GFX card is an essential IMO. Personally I'd choose a decent hard drive too, I'm not on board with the whole save everything to 'the cloud' thing.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon May 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Which VPN services do you lot use? (asking for a family member who is considering Nordvpn, I use a Swedish service that is not available in the UK, but would prefer to recommend something other than Nordvpn, if for no other reason than I don't like seeing their ads all over the place ..)

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon May 11, 2020 1:28 pm

I use one called Psiphon on the PC and iPad, which is free and surprisingly fast (I've streamed LUTV feeds without stuttering). Not availible on Mac, so I use Windscribe for that: also free but limited to a maximum of (I think) 100gb per month.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:I use one called Psiphon on the PC and iPad, which is free and surprisingly fast (I've streamed LUTV feeds without stuttering). Not availible on Mac, so I use Windscribe for that: also free but limited to a maximum of (I think) 100gb per month.

Cheers! IS that ad funded or do they steal all your data :mrgreen: ?

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Mon May 11, 2020 1:44 pm

jackos wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:I use one called Psiphon on the PC and iPad, which is free and surprisingly fast (I've streamed LUTV feeds without stuttering). Not availible on Mac, so I use Windscribe for that: also free but limited to a maximum of (I think) 100gb per month.

Cheers! IS that ad funded or do they steal all your data :mrgreen: ?

Neither. As far as I know it's mostly funded by big commercial contracts with people like the BBC, but the basic VPN is free. I'm surprised more people don't use it, tbh.

EDIT: there could be ads, tbf, but I've never really noticed them so if there are any they're very unobtrusive.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon May 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:
EDIT: there could be ads, tbf, but I've never really noticed them so if there are any they're very unobtrusive.

Cheers!

Return to “The Square Ball”