Calling all computer smart arses!

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Calling all computer smart arses!

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Safe as. A very good service [Edit: almost] whenever I've been abroad.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Safe as. A very good service [Edit: almost] whenever I've been abroad.

:salute: Gonna book a flight in the morning.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Arguably postable on the stupid cunts thread if, as expected, Im missing the bleedin' obvious, but anyone care to explain to this technocretin what gives with sync limits between gmail based accounts and using the Apple mail platform (iPhone and mac)?

I keep losing the ability to see new mail on anything bar the gmail web-based platform (that is shit), and only have a couple more shots at 'restoring gmail' (whatever that means?) this year.
I like it. What is it?

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Devi wrote:Arguably postable on the stupid cunts thread if, as expected, Im missing the bleedin' obvious, but anyone care to explain to this technocretin what gives with sync limits between gmail based accounts and using the Apple mail platform (iPhone and mac)?

I keep losing the ability to see new mail on anything bar the gmail web-based platform (that is shit), and only have a couple more shots at 'restoring gmail' (whatever that means?) this year.

I'll take this one.

Have you tried turning it off waiting two minutes and then turning it back on again?
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:14 am

Devi wrote:Arguably postable on the stupid cunts thread if, as expected, Im missing the bleedin' obvious, but anyone care to explain to this technocretin what gives with sync limits between gmail based accounts and using the Apple mail platform (iPhone and mac)?

I deleted the mail app as it was using too much of my storage. I just use the gmail app now (our company email is gmail based).

No help with your question, mind.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:55 am

I also use separate outlook and gmail apps. The main reason for this is that it becomes very easy to look at personal email without seeing work email, eg on a weekend.

It’s just better for you.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am

One for Phil (and any other geeks)

So, looking for cheap, entry level gaming PC for the lad. He won't be playing high end graphics games as he's more into the Team 17 style of games.

How does the following spec look and if not quite ok what should I improve:

Processor Brand AMD
Processor Type Athlon
Processor Speed 4.20 GHz
Processor Count 4
RAM Size 8 GB
Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Size 1000 GB
Hard Drive Interface ATA
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 10 Home
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Ponte wrote:One for Phil (and any other geeks)

So, looking for cheap, entry level gaming PC for the lad. He won't be playing high end graphics games as he's more into the Team 17 style of games.

Processor Brand AMD
Processor Type Athlon
Processor Speed 4.20 GHz
Processor Count 4
RAM Size 8 GB
Hard Drive Size 1000 GB
Hard Drive Interface ATA
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Hardware Platform PC

I'm generally the wrong person to ask as I firmly believe you pay X (probably about £300) for the privilege of owning a PC at all then you maybe pay 50% more than that for something on the minimum end of decent. Then a few hundred more than that you hit a point where the price jumps get too serious. I tend to target that point where you seem to get more bang for your buck and as a result would argue higher than you likely want to pay.

I'd say the above is missing a dedicated graphics card (£200-£250 on its own I'd imagine), I really wouldn't trust onboard graphics for much more than desktop level media stuff (youtube and the like) though I've no doubt the quality has improved since my last bad experience, much like 20 years ago people my age were laughing at my folly of not having a dedicated sound card.

If you can, get 16GB of RAM (shouldn't be too costly an upgrade) or at least ensure they've stuck 1x 8GB stick in there rather than 2x 4GB so its an easier upgrade in future. 1TB HDD doesn't seem very big to me but I've had this PC for... 7 or 8 years and not filled a 2TB one so maybe that's ok.

For my boy, I spent about £750 2 years ago (without a monitor, we had a spare) but my thinking is it'll do him until he's old enough to buy his own, save maybe an updated graphics card when this one prevents him playing what he wants to. He mostly just plays FIFA and Minecraft anyway.

EDIT: I'd maybe start somewhere around here (though there's no WiFi card): https://www.ebuyer.com/859680-cyberpowe ... -ebu081803
Going directly to Cyberpower UK provides lots of options, all of which can be customised, I've bought from them twice (inc the boy's PC) and would happily go back. It's worth playing with their configurators just to get a feel for what adds to the price/where the biggest jumps are.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Ponte wrote:One for Phil (and any other geeks)

Processor Brand AMD
Processor Type Athlon
Processor Speed 4.20 GHz
Processor Count 4
RAM Size 8 GB
Hard Drive Size 1000 GB
Hard Drive Interface ATA
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Hardware Platform PC

I'm generally the wrong person to ask as I firmly believe you pay X (probably about £300) for the privilege of owning a PC at all then you maybe pay 50% more than that for something on the minimum end of decent. Then a few hundred more than that you hit a point where the price jumps get too serious. I tend to target that point where you seem to get more bang for your buck and as a result would argue higher than you likely want to pay.

I'd say the above is missing a dedicated graphics card (£200-£250 on its own I'd imagine), I really wouldn't trust onboard graphics for much more than desktop level media stuff (youtube and the like) though I've no doubt the quality has improved since my last bad experience, much like 20 years ago people my age were laughing at my folly of not having a dedicated sound card.

If you can, get 16GB of RAM (shouldn't be too costly an upgrade) or at least ensure they've stuck 1x 8GB stick in there rather than 2x 4GB so its an easier upgrade in future. 1TB HDD doesn't seem very big to me but I've had this PC for... 7 or 8 years and not filled a 2TB one so maybe that's ok.

For my boy, I spent about £750 2 years ago (without a monitor, we had a spare) but my thinking is it'll do him until he's old enough to buy his own, save maybe an updated graphics card when this one prevents him playing what he wants to. He mostly just plays FIFA and Minecraft anyway.

EDIT: I'd maybe start somewhere around here (though there's no WiFi card): https://www.ebuyer.com/859680-cyberpowe ... -ebu081803
Going directly to Cyberpower UK provides lots of options, all of which can be customised, I've bought from them twice (inc the boy's PC) and would happily go back. It's worth playing with their configurators just to get a feel for what adds to the price/where the biggest jumps are.

That’s what I needed. Some food for thought, thanks mate.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Any of you dickheads know much about setting up websites and making them searchable? A daughter has acquired a domain name and set one up. If I type in the entire address including https://www.... etc I find it, but if I just put the www.... start in I can't see it at all?
HM Collector Of Parcels

FER

Postby FER » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am

Is it anything to do with your browser only accepting secure sites?

I never type www or https: when typing a web address. For this site, I just bang in forum.thesquareball.net and it usually comes up.

So no, I don't really know the answer!
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Any of you dickheads know much about setting up websites and making them searchable? A daughter has acquired a domain name and set one up. If I type in the entire address including https://www.... etc I find it, but if I just put the http://www.... start in I can't see it at all?

https is still not the default for all websites, so if you omit it the browser will assume you’re looking for http (if it assumed https it wouldn’t work for a lot of websites, especially legacy ones).

The reason most sites work is that they explicitly handle this.

Your daughter just needs to redirect any http requests to the proper https site and it’ll work fine. I think this is a fairly simple thing to do, have a search for .htaccess https redirect and I think that will cover it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Cheers. I’ll tell her to give that a go.
HM Collector Of Parcels

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:32 am

arch-consumerist wife eager to splash some christmas cash on 7 yr old boy who doesn't really want/need anything.

any thoughts on a raspberry pi, as something that'd both teach him something and provide some genuine fun? we already have numerous phones, laptops, tablets, etc in the house - would a pi realistically offer anything that they don't?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Endless coding opportunities, innit?

Worse things for a kid to learn then coding, just at this point in human history...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Also, get an SD card and whack Retro Pie on it and a shit load of games
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Endless coding opportunities, innit?

Worse things for a kid to learn then coding, just at this point in human history...

maybe a stupid question, but, spefically for learning coding, why is a RP better than stuff we already have like laptop, ipad, etc?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Afaik, and I'm not an expert, but if you remember those old Radio Spares electronics kits to make an endless variety of stuff, it's like that. A whole community of mad fuckers inventing stuff that at its heart needs a pi and some bolt-on bits (sensors etc).

If he started fucking with your motherboard you might not like the outcomes.

Devi

Postby Devi » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am

Im trying to deliver a pdf ebook with embedded videos to my client, a global professional services firm.

For standard security reasons, said client has demanded that the pdf and videos be held on their servers - and refused me direct access to the same.

Our tests, using our servers, have the videos play just fine. Their tests, using embed code provided by them, result in the user (their end) getting repeated requests to 'install flash', and no ability to view the films (Specifically: ‘to view the flash technology content in this pdf, please install the required version of flash player’. (We can't replicate the issue as we're not, as stated, able to access their server).

When the user tries to view the film direct from their server (ie not through the embedded pdf, but from the server direct), they get an invite to download, and can (eventually) see the film. (Their server appears to be a MS Sharepoint set up).

As the client puts it:

Not sure if the issue is with the site (videos taking an impossibly long time to be downloaded simply to view them) or with how the video is included in the PDF – the Flash message is a bit odd: is that the reason I can’t see it ? I started on the download instructions but, to be honest, it took too long and there were too many choices and too many things to sign up to, so I gave up…..

Any thoughts? Ideas? Solutions? The eBook will - if fixed - be seen by 80,000 so it's kinda critical...

:-/

E2A:

[quote}We are not allowed Flash because of security risks.

So, the issue is that we need to investigate WHY it says that we need Flash to play the video - ? because we don’t ![/quote]

The reason they're getting the message is because its a flash film. How else can we embed VT to a PDF...?
I like it. What is it?

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am

My problem is a tad simpler, I need a decent tablet for Mrs Andymac for Xmas. She does a bit of reading but she loves browsing internet finding different ways to empty my bank account. I have £100 budget, I need a 10" screen, and a decent size memory. I have looked at the below, but the reviews are mixed.

https://www.dragontouch.com/dragon-touc ... ablet.html
Andymac

Return to “The Square Ball”