Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: Ex White watch

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:15 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:...I hope never again to visit that dank and dismal underground car park of a ground called the Millenium Stadium...

ha, i think you're letting your memories of the game cloud your memories of the facilities... that ground was a great place to play big games, a short, pub-lined, walk from the station into a modern ground in which all seats offered a decent view. i had a great day until the football started.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:...the play-off final against Watford ranked alongside the League Cup final against Villa, in terms of abject performances in major games coupled with dubious team selection...

very old ground, but the team selection was hardly shocking. the 2-0 semifinal, second leg win at PNE had been easily our best single result of that [or pretty much any] season, so blackwell understandably stuck with that team for the final, other than to drop crainey [a player who i never particularly minded but, i mean, he was hardly roberto carlos reincarnated] for paul butler, who'd by then recovered from injury.

really the main substantive criticism that i can ever recall being levelled at blackwell [other than disbelief that a guy with the build of 'benny the ball' from 'top cat' had ever, however briefly, been a professional goalkeeper] was [as with terry venables] that he deviated too often from 4-4-2, with, at the time, managers favouring any other formation liable to be dismissed, mike bassett style, as feeble-minded girlymen. history doesn't imo really reflect very kindly on that mode of thought.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:19 pm

My gripe with the team against Watford was that over that entire season we had only 3 players who were in double figures for goals - Hulse 13; Healy 12 and Blake 11 and yet only Hulse was in the starting line up, with the other two on the bench. I think we beat Preston at their ground largely as a reaction to the comments from "Job Done" and it was mainly a defensive display aided by a Hulse goal from a corner (those were the days).

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Yeah, the Watford game was just all round awful from the moment the teams were announced with Kiklgallen at fullback. Blackwell wasn't a good manager by any means but he wasn't awful either, just a Colin wannabe (like Keith Curle). Chris Wilder is essentially a more modern version of the same thing.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:02 pm

i couldn't cope with listening to his pre and post match interviews, so i always felt sorry for his players as they had to suffer his 'inspirational' talks and man management, they couldn't reach over and switch him off. as has been said he had such grand ambitions but he didn't seem to have a clue how to actually build his dream empire as any interview revealed. there was never any detail, always just bluster and excuses. the bloke was 100% bullshit. who the fuck employed him? krasner or the prof?

and yeah. the football was terrible considering the players he had at his disposal.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:57 pm

This is outstanding work guys. After 16 years we are back in the PL and we are reminiscing about that bloody awful playoff game. Theres something special about Leeds fans and the continued need to get nostalgic about the bad old times :mrgreen:

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:17 am

AndyPaul wrote:This is outstanding work guys. After 16 years we are back in the PL and we are reminiscing about that bloody awful playoff game. Theres something special about Leeds fans and the continued need to get nostalgic about the bad old times :mrgreen:

Never forgive, never forget. So much more appropriate than Pro Rege et Lege.

FER

Postby FER » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:49 pm

the flying pig wrote:ha, i think you're letting your memories of the game cloud your memories of the facilities... that ground was a great place to play big games, a short, pub-lined, walk from the station into a modern ground in which all seats offered a decent view. i had a great day until the football started.

It would have been better if it wasn't pissing it down! Also would have been better if the Watford fans would have given us some jip after the game, rather than just wandering away to their transport links. I tried to rile some of them up outside the ground, but they just walked off like it was them who'd lost.

I was in the top tier and it was uber steep. Whenever I stood up, I felt like I might fall to the bottom of the stand! Mate of mine left about 15 before the end because he couldn't watch us being so shite in such a big game anymore. We found him staring into the river.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:39 pm

FER wrote:Also would have been better if the Watford fans would have given us some jip after the game, rather than just wandering away to their transport links. I tried to rile some of them up outside the ground, but they just walked off like it was them who'd lost.

Oh God, that reminds me how much the Donny fans pissed me off at Wembley. The fuckers genuinely didn't seem to give a toss about promotion.
Member of a clique

FER

Postby FER » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:50 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
FER wrote:Also would have been better if the Watford fans would have given us some jip after the game, rather than just wandering away to their transport links. I tried to rile some of them up outside the ground, but they just walked off like it was them who'd lost.

Oh God, that reminds me how much the Donny fans pissed me off at Wembley. The fuckers genuinely didn't seem to give a toss about promotion.

Or having an 'end'. When our lot started to wander around the stadium into their end, I thought it was gonna go off. Instead, we just occupied, enjoyed (not the result) and left. :mrgreen:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Things I didn’t need to know:

Member of a clique

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Tell yer wot, I'd have Charlie Taylor back in a flash.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Tell yer wot, I'd have Charlie Taylor back in a flash.

yeah. good player. i liked the way he obviously worked on his game after his first season to become a lot stronger and better in the air in his second season.
good lad but he's not meant to be the sharpest tool in the box.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:04 am

inspired by twitter and also wondering how good looking the lad is whose wife is pictured with him. samu saiz. one of the few who slipped the bielsa net. i remember watching a preseason somewhere in the middle of europe seeing him and alioski for the first time and feeling a bit of excitement in my loins. i never expected it'd end in in table mediocrity in the premier league. nevertheless he's still got a place in my heart.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:46 am

Marco Silvestri makes the Serie A team of the (first half of the) season.

Forgive me a :shock:
Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:48 am

That lad in midfield sounds tasty, we should put in a cheeky bid
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:06 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Marco Silvestri makes the Serie A team of the (first half of the) season.

that says something fairly awful about one or more of seri a/leeds/the universe.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:08 am

Lot of Italians moved to Scotland; I wonder if a lot of them became goalkeepers.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:39 am

the flying pig wrote:that says something fairly awful about one or more of seri a/leeds/the universe.

I think it's probably something like -

Prem
La Liga
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:47 am

i mean, i always, well, sometimes had a bit of time for silvestri, thought he was a lot better, with certainly more potential, than many of the 'piece of meat with eyes' types we had in our 'wilderness years', but... i'd have thought that his ever becoming the best keeper even in the championship would have been a fairly shocking development... a good athlete but hugely unreliable [which does sometimes get better with age] couldn't really kick [which i'd tend to expect not to]...

Return to “The Square Ball”