Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Professor Weeto

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:14 am

I'm not sure rational thought really comes into it once you're at the point of actually resolving to commit suicide.

London_White

Postby London_White » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

As someone who has had more than my share of mental health issues I can echo what Prof Weeto says - you think that the thoughts you are having are rational, most people would think otherwise but in your head they're the irrational ones.
Suggesting that if Blackwell was a better manager/person then he'd have helped CC more is a little misguided in my opinion. I had a great manager when at my lowest ebb, also a supportive family and partner but none of them could really see the issues I was dealing with. Eventually a good friend of mine took me to a doctor because he realised I was never going to go myself, and from there I gradually got through it all. I didn't get to the stage that CC did, but I was at the stage of going to sleep at night hoping not to wake up in the morning, it's not too much of a stretch to see where this would lead to. Fortunately thanks to the wonderful NHS and a very good GP I'm able to recognise the symptoms of any downturn and stop it developing any further, many others have not been so lucky.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am

London_White wrote:As someone who has had more than my share of mental health issues I can echo what Prof Weeto says - you think that the thoughts you are having are rational, most people would think otherwise but in your head they're the irrational ones.
Suggesting that if Blackwell was a better manager/person then he'd have helped CC more is a little misguided in my opinion. I had a great manager when at my lowest ebb, also a supportive family and partner but none of them could really see the issues I was dealing with. Eventually a good friend of mine took me to a doctor because he realised I was never going to go myself, and from there I gradually got through it all. I didn't get to the stage that CC did, but I was at the stage of going to sleep at night hoping not to wake up in the morning, it's not too much of a stretch to see where this would lead to. Fortunately thanks to the wonderful NHS and a very good GP I'm able to recognise the symptoms of any downturn and stop it developing any further, many others have not been so lucky.

Glad you got through it, LW. More power to you. :salute:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am

Well done, LW. Keep looking up.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:38 am

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that, I'd no idea. Takes real character to come back strongly from stuff like that, knowing you a little from on here I'm not surprised you managed it :salute:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:40 am

London_White wrote:As someone who has had more than my share of mental health issues I can echo what Prof Weeto says - you think that the thoughts you are having are rational, most people would think otherwise but in your head they're the irrational ones.

:salute:

Happy to be corrected.

London_White

Postby London_White » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:36 pm

Cheers guys. I think the most important thing I took from all of my own personal issues was that asking for help was the hardest part, you don't ever think/realise that you need it.
Since then i've been able to help a couple of other people by guiding them towards counselling which really helped me - as did the drugs, the ones I was prescribed that is, it may well have been the ones I wasn't prescribed in the late 80s that fucked my head up in the first place. Although I subsequently discovered that my mother suffered from bouts of depression so it may be hereditary - jury's out on that one.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:29 pm

best wishes London_ it's always somehow really encouraging to hear of people that make it through. in my experience those that suffer in that way do so because of their ability to see the beautiful things in life really clearly, making the other side of life twice as troubling.

but anyway kevin blackwell wasn't one of those i don't think. his interviews on the radio used to make me wince, curse and then switch him off, he made david brent seem insightful and wise. an utter tosspot.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

ChinaWhite

Postby ChinaWhite » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 am

Having listened to all of the Undr the Cosh podcasts, Blackwell has been hammered by many players who have played under him. I’ve found the podcast really enjoyable, partly purely down to how northern it is, and being away from home on the other side of the world it is quite nostalgic in a way.

But some of the insights are quite funny and revealing too. Lots of Leeds references throughout. Paynter talking about all the stick he got here (he was quite positive about the fans), Parkin talking about when he was at Fleetwood with Charlie Taylor and how shy he was. Kilgallon’s episode is good value too on Leeds, as well as his time at Sunderland under Di Canio. There’s a few managers who keep coming up as total wankers though and Blackwell is near the top of that list.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

I was hitherto unaware that Batts and the Yorkshire Pirlo share a birthday (today).

Which is nice.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:37 am

I'd like to think Garry Monk's attack on Pep Clotet last week is directly behind Birmingham's announcement today that he's now permanent rather than caretaker manager.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Brief but informative chat with James Milner over at The Sportsman.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:35 pm

I know that he's been proper poorly but I think Dom Matteo tweeting a picture in his Liverpool pjs has reinforced what I always suspected. Fuck him :cheers:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:56 am

Ontolly wrote:I know that he's been proper poorly but I think Dom Matteo tweeting a picture in his Liverpool pjs has reinforced what I always suspected. Fuck him :cheers:

I don't think he's made any secret of the fact that Liverpool FC is his first love.

I'm glad he's on the mend but I've always been baffled by his cult status here. I saw the majority of games he played either live or on TV, and for the most part he was some way behind Rio, Lucas, and Woody at Centre back, and although competent wherever he played I didn't really rate him as particularly special at full back in the premier league

Get well, and then meh

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Rösler released by Malmö today quoting differences in opinions about how the club should play/be run. Bit surprised to be honest, he's done a decent job and they're doing okay in the Europa League

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Huckerby was on the Quickly Kevin podcast this week. Offered little in the way of insight on Leeds but he did make the comment that Noel Whelan was the most talented player he ever played with (from his Cov day’s obviously), and that he could’ve done anything had he not pissed it up the wall. Surprised me that as I never really saw Whelan as anything more than a functional Premier League striker
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:05 pm

MightyWhite wrote:Huckerby was on the Quickly Kevin podcast this week. Offered little in the way of insight on Leeds but he did make the comment that Noel Whelan was the most talented player he ever played with (from his Cov day’s obviously), and that he could’ve done anything had he not pissed it up the wall. Surprised me that as I never really saw Whelan as anything more than a functional Premier League striker

I still remember that run and cross when we beat scum 3-1 at home.

Genius at his best was Noel.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:11 pm

MightyWhite wrote:Huckerby was on the Quickly Kevin podcast this week. Offered little in the way of insight on Leeds but he did make the comment that Noel Whelan was the most talented player he ever played with (from his Cov day’s obviously), and that he could’ve done anything had he not pissed it up the wall. Surprised me that as I never really saw Whelan as anything more than a functional Premier League striker

yeah, i heard this, i sort of dismissed what he'd said in a way, interpreted it as follows:

(a) he wasn't talking about technical ability alone, or even overall ability, he was referring to basically 'roundedness', i.e. a combination of technique, size, & athleticism [all of which, the latter two especially, could have been honed to a far greater degree if he'd stayed off the sauce]; and
(b) and even then he wasn't really talking about 'most talented', he was more talking about 'most underachieving'.

don't get me wrong, whelan was talented. WGS taking him to coventry having known him at leeds, getting him to come & live with him, etc, spoke to that.

but more talented than all the other ex leeds players who huckerby played with at various times, including gary mac, woodgate, viduka, kewell, & bridges? nah. i suppose three of those names are players who were keeping DH out of the team, possibly souring his recollections a bit.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Milner has signed a new contract with Liverpool so won't be coming home in the summer.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Milner has signed a new contract with Liverpool so won't be coming home in the summer.

Or ever given that he'll be 36 by the end of his contract, will be interesting if he plays against us next season.

Return to “The Square Ball”