Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mr Reality

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Mr Reality » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 am

Brian Deane on the mantility podcast this week.

https://player.fm/1walRM

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:18 pm

nice little clip.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 am

Steve 'The Shift' Morison gone on loan to Shrewsbury for the season. Lucky, lucky bastard.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am

the flying pig wrote:nice little clip.

Yeah, with hindsight he ought to be more of a United 'legend' than he's generally held up to be. Better than 1 in 2 over 150 games is a pretty decent return really; Christ, to have someone that direct in our current team would be terrifying.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:29 am

eric olthwaite wrote:

Yeah, with hindsight he ought to be more of a United 'legend' than he's generally held up to be. Better than 1 in 2 over 150 games is a pretty decent return really; Christ, to have someone that direct in our current team would be terrifying.

Indeed. A little like Bamford, he missed 2/3 of his chances but he was good enough at league one level to get 5 chances per game. He also took the big chances when it mattered most.

Right from that first home game in league one Vs Southend through to promotion he was a joy to watch (even when the novelty of league one wore off).

10 goals for Everton in his "failed" PL season wasn't too shabby either.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:

Indeed. A little like Bamford, he missed 2/3 of his chances but he was good enough at league one level to get 5 chances per game. He also took the big chances when it mattered most.

Right from that first home game in league one Vs Southend through to promotion he was a joy to watch (even when the novelty of league one wore off).

10 goals for Everton in his "failed" PL season wasn't too shabby either.

What people forget about that Everton season was that he only started 18 games and actually scored 11 (including cup)

One of them at least was an absolute worldie as I recall

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:What people forget about that Everton season was that he only started 18 games and actually scored 11 (including cup)

One of them at least was an absolute worldie as I recall

Yeah, it was. And yet somehow they fucked him off anyway...

FER

Postby FER » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am

Don't forget his promise to never score @ ER unless it's for Leeds. Do I remember rightly him playing for Preston and one of theirs lofting a ball over our defence for him to nod in (any common or garden striker would have made the net bulge) and he just turned the other way and ignored the absolute sitter he'd been gifted. Ledge!
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:58 pm

FER wrote:Don't forget his promise to never score @ ER unless it's for Leeds. Do I remember rightly him playing for Preston and one of theirs lofting a ball over our defence for him to nod in (any common or garden striker would have made the net bulge) and he just turned the other way and ignored the absolute sitter he'd been gifted. Ledge!

I don't recall it being so obvious but maybe. Certainly he fluffed all but 1 chance when a visiting player, the one he did hit the back of the net with was a sublime lob when he knew he was miles offside.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Yep, missed chances but unlike other strikers already mentioned he just kept showing for another go until he got 1 or 2.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Great signing the Barcodes and Redders this - a much better academy coach than first team coach.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Many were disappointed when he was sacked as manager here, McDermott had quite a few unhappy to see him leave too.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 pm

I didn't like Redders, came across as a right cock, not as much of a cock as Monk, but both were too quick to blame anyone but themselves for their mistakes. Know a lot of folks on here disagree. Cant remember what I thought of McDermott.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 pm

welshwhite wrote:Many were disappointed when he was sacked as manager here, McDermott had quite a few unhappy to see him leave too.

i like redders, the bloke's obviously a good egg, but i'm not so sure he's got the savoir faire to make a sophisticated impression to a load of wannabee premiership players. he can walk the walk but not so good at talking the talk. i'm not sure he'll get the time in that environment to do what he did here.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:42 pm

jackos wrote:I didn't Redders, came across as a right cock, not as much of a cock as Monk, but both were too quick to blame anyone but themselves for their mistakes. Know a lot of folks on here disagree. Cant remember what I thought of McDermott.

I'll jog your memory about B Mc. he's the one that signed, Hunt, Wootton, and Murphy, as the 'spine' of our team.

I think we ended up giving them away to a charity shop :thumbl:

B Mc was last seen selling the Big Issue outside a Hull Farm Foods.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 pm

welshwhite wrote:
jackos wrote:I didn't Redders, came across as a right cock, not as much of a cock as Monk, but both were too quick to blame anyone but themselves for their mistakes. Know a lot of folks on here disagree. Cant remember what I thought of McDermott.

I'll jog your memory about B Mc. he's the one that signed, Hunt, Wootton, and Murphy.

I think we ended up giving them away in to charity shop :thumbl:

I think we're still paying Lukey.....
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Max Gradel still playing for Ivory Coast (he's 31 now) and sets up their only/winning goal. :)

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:56 pm

Allan Clarke. Never afraid to speak up for himself. I think he's right about the 70s team arsewiping Man City mind.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2019/06/22/big-interview-allan-clarke/

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:38 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:Allan Clarke. ...I think he's right about the 70s team arsewiping Man City mind...

Nah. I probably agree that the best of the Revie team had better first touches than the City players., but that's about it. The modern team would be too fit, arguably also too big and strong, and city are much closer to being a world xi type side than Leeds were at the time.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:47 am

the flying pig wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:Allan Clarke. ...I think he's right about the 70s team arsewiping Man City mind...

Nah. I probably agree that the best of the Revie team had better first touches than the City players., but that's about it. The modern team would be too fit, arguably also too big and strong, and city are much closer to being a world xi type side than Leeds were at the time.

There's no point at all in making the observation that the current teams would be faster/fitter than the old teams - of course they would. If you are going to compare the teams, you have to assume that the old teams would have prepared/trained like they do now and so would be as fast and fit. [Or the reverse - that Man City do it the old way.]
Billy Bremner used to like whisky. Lots of the Revie side smoked. Their diets were very different. They didn't train or monitor their fitness like they do now. All of this we know and take for granted.
Moreover, we should not forget the state of the pitches back then and the different kind of ball they hoofed around.

In other words, there's no real point in the comparison in the first place.

Return to “The Square Ball”