Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
moscowhite
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby moscowhite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:43 am

Clacton white wrote:I saw the charity shield though at Wembley and the defence ( esp right side & central ) looked distinctly dodgy - if memory serves Snodin was played at right back as I think Sterland was retired or injured by then . You could see problems but Wilko never corrected or rectified them , the pass back law didn't help a slow/ageing defence and Lukic like Gary Sprake was always prone to loony moments ....but for that one season they were bloody superb .


Think it was Jon Newsome at right-back in the Charity Shield. Been looking at this period lately and I think the biggest mistake Wilko made was thinking Strachan wouldn't recover from his back trouble, so spending £2m on Rocastle, and thinking Sterland would recover from his ankle injury, so not buying a new right-back. Sterland was vital to Wilko's system since the early 80s at Wednesday and without him bombing up and down the right side we just weren't the same team.

In the match away to Rangers we started with Newsome at right-back but he couldn't cope so swapped after 20mins with Fairclough. In the 4-0 defeat at Man City the week after Dorigo was injured too, so the back four was Fairclough - Wetherall - Whyte - Newsome; Batty was also injured, and as Wilko had been using him almost Kalvin Phillips style to protect the centre-backs we were absolutely fucked. Day was in goal too. Just a mess. That was the also the game Wilko gave Cantona his last chance: he dropped Chapman (7 goals in 14 games) and gave in to Cantona's demands to start with Wallace. He was shite.

We were being linked with every right-back going — Gary Charles, Ian Brightwell, a couple of Swedish defenders — Wilko was still hoping for Sterland, but he tried to make a comeback in the reserves and didn't make the kick-off. Of course that was the whole reason for calling Old Trafford to ask about Denis Irwin. (And from what I've read, once Cantona faxed in his transfer request, both the club and Cantona's agent were offering him around Europe first, but couldn't find any mugs willing to give Leeds the million he'd cost...)

If we'd only switched Gary Kelly to right-back a year earlier... I've also wondered whether 3-5-2 with wing-backs might have worked; Dorigo on the left and... Rod Wallace at RWB? Speed? Dylan Kerr? Dunno.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby welshwhite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 am

Our success brought us money, Wilko spunked most of it away on Brolin and Sharpe.

Shame really, Wilko was a top man for us.

George Graham leaving us for Spurs was the biggest calamity in those days, he was building things back slowly (as was needed at the time).

He left and O'Leary took his reins....the rest as they say, is history.

User avatar
Ponte
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Ponte » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 am

Listened to the LS11 podcast special with Wilko (great listen btw) and was interested to hear that within 18 months Silver was watching things unfold under Caspian and regretting letting them buy the club)
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: Ex White watch

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:39 am

I was only a yoot at the time but was surprised by the suggestion that Whyte was more popular than Fairclough. Was that true? CF was one of my fav players back then so maybe my rose tinted glasses have been deceiving me all these years.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Quiffy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:06 am

MightyWhite wrote:I was only a yoot at the time but was surprised by the suggestion that Whyte was more popular than Fairclough. Was that true? CF was one of my fav players back then so maybe my rose tinted glasses have been deceiving me all these years.

yeah, that surprised me too and i was a ST holder back then. both were really unfussy players, quite different to pontus in that respect, but chris fairclough was definitely massively appreciated the season we went up. i think it was the barnsley game during the run in where he scored with a header after getting a massive cut on his head which required about 5 minutes to sort out with a large bandage, he was proper tough, but had such a baby face. i do remember the sense of panic that all the blood meant he'd be out for a few matches.

huggy was liked but sometimes criticised for taking too many touches, but as a pair they were incredibly dependable, they just got on with the job to the point that you sometimes forgot they were there.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby welshwhite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 am

Fairclough was player of the year in 1990.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Ex White watch

Postby the flying pig » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:43 am

moscowhite wrote:... I've also wondered whether 3-5-2 with wing-backs might have worked; Dorigo on the left and... Rod Wallace at RWB? Speed? Dylan Kerr? Dunno.


carl shutt could have played RWB, definitely. he'd have been good there.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Clacton white » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 am

moscowhite wrote:
Clacton white wrote:I saw the charity shield though at Wembley and the defence ( esp right side & central ) looked distinctly dodgy - if memory serves Snodin was played at right back as I think Sterland was retired or injured by then . You could see problems but Wilko never corrected or rectified them , the pass back law didn't help a slow/ageing defence and Lukic like Gary Sprake was always prone to loony moments ....but for that one season they were bloody superb .


Think it was Jon Newsome at right-back in the Charity Shield. Been looking at this period lately and I think the biggest mistake Wilko made was thinking Strachan wouldn't recover from his back trouble, so spending £2m on Rocastle, and thinking Sterland would recover from his ankle injury, so not buying a new right-back. Sterland was vital to Wilko's system since the early 80s at Wednesday and without him bombing up and down the right side we just weren't the same team.

In the match away to Rangers we started with Newsome at right-back but he couldn't cope so swapped after 20mins with Fairclough. In the 4-0 defeat at Man City the week after Dorigo was injured too, so the back four was Fairclough - Wetherall - Whyte - Newsome; Batty was also injured, and as Wilko had been using him almost Kalvin Phillips style to protect the centre-backs we were absolutely fucked. Day was in goal too. Just a mess. That was the also the game Wilko gave Cantona his last chance: he dropped Chapman (7 goals in 14 games) and gave in to Cantona's demands to start with Wallace. He was shite.

We were being linked with every right-back going — Gary Charles, Ian Brightwell, a couple of Swedish defenders — Wilko was still hoping for Sterland, but he tried to make a comeback in the reserves and didn't make the kick-off. Of course that was the whole reason for calling Old Trafford to ask about Denis Irwin. (And from what I've read, once Cantona faxed in his transfer request, both the club and Cantona's agent were offering him around Europe first, but couldn't find any mugs willing to give Leeds the million he'd cost...)

If we'd only switched Gary Kelly to right-back a year earlier... I've also wondered whether 3-5-2 with wing-backs might have worked; Dorigo on the left and... Rod Wallace at RWB? Speed? Dylan Kerr? Dunno.

Would the thought of 3-5-2 ever have occurred to Wilko , I think most clubs were 442 back then ....it was written in stone almost . I couldn't believe it when Batty was sold and they replaced him with Carlton Palmer ...I mean ............CARLTON BLOODY PALMER . I suppose Wilko balanced out the poor Brolin buy with the Yeboah one , now he was some player . I think in other circumstances though Lee Sharp might have worked but the whole side was on the slide , only obvious the season before Sharp was bought in the abject League Cup final display . Ian Rush I guess was some sort of desperation buy , he was ...what ....34 ? well past his best and they were hoping for a near prime Ian Rush I think . Overall I enjoyed the Wilko era , you can't ever forget he won the club the league after long wilderness years ( though not as long as this current era ) , but he had his down season's as well . I guess we would take mid table Premier league obscurity now though .

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Ex White watch

Postby the flying pig » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Clacton white wrote:...Ian Rush I guess was some sort of desperation buy , he was ...what ....34 ? well past his best and they were hoping for a near prime Ian Rush I think...


wilko seemed to want to groom the guy as his successor, for some unfathomable reason. rush was blessed to be born with the physique & [long before his leeds days] speed of a greyhound, but in interviews etc i always suspected that his intellectual horsepower was probably roughly on a par with said creature's an'all.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Quiffy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Clacton white wrote:[
Would the thought of 3-5-2 ever have occurred to Wilko , I think most clubs were 442 back then


wasn't wilko a bit of a revolutionary early in his coaching career? i'm sure i read something about him playing with a sweeper at notts county.

his version of the 4-4-2 relied upon the full backs acting like wing backs and getting ahead of the midfield wide men, common nowadays but not so common back then.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Clacton white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Clacton white » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Clacton white wrote:[
Would the thought of 3-5-2 ever have occurred to Wilko , I think most clubs were 442 back then


wasn't wilko a bit of a revolutionary early in his coaching career? i'm sure i read something about him playing with a sweeper at notts county.

his version of the 4-4-2 relied upon the full backs acting like wing backs and getting ahead of the midfield wide men, common nowadays but not so common back then.

The last English manager to manage the English champions ...... I suspect that record is going to last a fair while longer too .

User avatar
moscowhite
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby moscowhite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Clacton white wrote:[
Would the thought of 3-5-2 ever have occurred to Wilko , I think most clubs were 442 back then


wasn't wilko a bit of a revolutionary early in his coaching career? i'm sure i read something about him playing with a sweeper at notts county.

his version of the 4-4-2 relied upon the full backs acting like wing backs and getting ahead of the midfield wide men, common nowadays but not so common back then.


He played 3-5-2 at Wednesday with Sterland and Nigel Worthington (!) as his bombing wing-backs. If not the first to play that way in England, he was among the first. That's one of the reasons I was wondering why he didn't try it when Sterland was injured. Of course, he also did it in the Coca Cola Cup final. :(

I read an interview with him recently where he said, because he followed Jack Charlton as manager of Wednesday, "There were centre-backs everywhere you looked," so he decided he might as well play three of them.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Quiffy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm

moscowhite wrote:He played 3-5-2 at Wednesday with Sterland and Nigel Worthington (!) as his bombing wing-backs. If not the first to play that way in England, he was among the first. That's one of the reasons I was wondering why he didn't try it when Sterland was injured. Of course, he also did it in the Coca Cola Cup final. :(

I read an interview with him recently where he said, because he followed Jack Charlton as manager of Wednesday, "There were centre-backs everywhere you looked," so he decided he might as well play three of them.


which made me wonder about some of the selections around '95 (though it may have been the early days of graham also) where we'd play about 4 centre backs with centre backs in the full back positions and defensive midfield positions. I'm sure we may have once played beasley, radebe, pemberton and others at centre back. you'd look at the team selection and wince, but somehow we often seemed to play our best when the team selection was most 'negative'.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Ex White watch

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Change the thread title to ‘Ex-white don’t watch’: you should definitely not be Looking For Eric

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby jackos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:54 am

See Saiz made the bench for the first time in months and played the last six minutes against Real last night.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby welshwhite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:26 am

jackos wrote:See Saiz made the bench for the first time in months and played the last six minutes against Real last night.


He's getting himself fit ready to come back and win the playoffs for us :cheers:

I'll drive the cunt back here myself, I didn't like the fact that he fucked off but I'd take him back now - side before self and all that.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Quiffy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 am

welshwhite wrote:
jackos wrote:See Saiz made the bench for the first time in months and played the last six minutes against Real last night.


He's getting himself fit ready to come back and win the playoffs for us :cheers:

I'll drive the cunt back here myself, I didn't like the fact that he fucked off but I'd take him back now - side before self and all that.

Save yourself the petrol Welsh, it's an international loan til july 1, so he can't come back (according to some newsnow article).

I'd also love to have him back, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in if he was still around.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Ex White watch

Postby welshwhite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 am

Quiffy wrote:Save yourself the petrol Welsh, it's an international loan til july 1, so he can't come back (according to some newsnow article).

I'd also love to have him back, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in if he was still around.


Bugger! Shame we couldn't do some sort of deal with them, y'know he plays in the playoffs for us and they could then monitor his fitness/ability in match play sort of thing.

It'd be better than him parking his arse on their bench I suppose.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: Ex White watch

Postby the flying pig » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 am

A little strange?


Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Andymac-47 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 pm

The guy on the right reminds me of one of the characters out Boys From The Black Stuff, gizajob.
Andymac


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mustafaster, rss1969, Yeboah and 13 guests