Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ontolly

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Ontolly » Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Cracking goal by Milner just now :shock:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 02, 2018 7:24 pm

i fancy liverpool in the final, tbh. madrid are good but by no means great. liverpool's transfer deals this yr have been once-in-a-generation stuff. they paid about the same to bring in van dijk, & salah [ok, and oxlade-chamberlain, but he's done alright] as they did to ship out coutinho & sakho [to palace]. for pretty much zero net spend they've marginally strengthened their attack at the same time as immeasurably strengthening their defence.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Wed May 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 years. If they aren't great what is ?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Mr Reality wrote:Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 years. If they aren't great what is ?

Sure but they're now arguably further from the 2014 vintage than (say) the 1975 Leeds side was from its 1971 incarnation. So many of their best, formerly world class, players have turned 30 since then, ronaldo, ramos, modric, benzema, bale not quite but with injuries & whatnot he's not half the player... Isco has emerged but that's not enough to compensate for the above loss.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 02, 2018 8:35 pm

the flying pig wrote:i fancy liverpool in the final, tbh. madrid are good but by no means great. liverpool's transfer deals this yr have been once-in-a-generation stuff. they paid about the same to bring in van dijk, & salah [ok, and oxlade-chamberlain, but he's done alright] as they did to ship out coutinho & sakho [to palace]. for pretty much zero net spend they've marginally strengthened their attack at the same time as immeasurably strengthening their defence.

Aye. RM not exactly pulling up trees lately.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Wed May 02, 2018 9:33 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 years. If they aren't great what is ?

Sure but they're now arguably further from the 2014 vintage than (say) the 1975 Leeds side was from its 1971 incarnation. So many of their best, formerly world class, players have turned 30 since then, ronaldo, ramos, modric, benzema, bale not quite but with injuries & whatnot he's not half the player... Isco has emerged but that's not enough to compensate for the above loss.

They have adapted over the last few years to manage their aging players . The shift of formation has also worked well. It should actually be an interesting game will be interesting to see how Liverpool approach it.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

They have adapted over the last few years to manage their aging players . The shift of formation has also worked well. It should actually be an interesting game will be interesting to see how Liverpool approach it.

They're still good, plainly, but not to be feared as such, e.g. weaker than man citeh almost certainly. In their domestic league they're set to finish third in a two horse race. You could argue that they've been focusing on Europe but ahead of them are Athletico who have played even more (admittedly less demanding on average) European games, with less favorable scheduling, in mostly shittier locations.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Thu May 03, 2018 5:48 am

the flying pig wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

They're still good, plainly, but not to be feared as such, e.g. weaker than man citeh almost certainly. In their domestic league they're set to finish third in a two horse race. You could argue that they've been focusing on Europe but ahead of them are Athletico who have played even more (admittedly less demanding on average) European games, with less favorable scheduling, in mostly shittier locations.

There isn't a team called athletico.

It's also disrespectful to describe is at as a two horse race given the success of atletico Madrid in recent seasons.

I don't think klopp is the type to fear any team but I'm not sure how we can say they are weaker than man city. What metrics are we using they haven't played each other and don't play in the same league.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 am

quote="Mr Reality"

"There isn't a team called athletico".

The above sentence sums you up lovely.
Andymac

Tommy

Ex White watch

Postby Tommy » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 am

I suspect there’s going to be a period of RM dominance on a domestic level for a while because they seem to have prepared for the gradual drop off of their ageing stars marginally better than Barcelona. Presumably Neymar is going in that direction sooner or later and if they manage to prevent Salah from becoming the Messi stopgap by signing him too, it’ll be a double coup. I think that Asensio kid will prove to be a capable replacement for at least Bale, if not quite Dickhead.

At the same time, I reckon they will gradually become less dominant in Europe as their more experienced players fade.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Thu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:quote="Mr Reality"

Aye nobody ever mentions spelling mistakes on here. As ever hypocrisy is king.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Mr Reality wrote:

Aye nobody every mentions spelling mistakes on here. As ever hypocrisy is king.

Nobody 'ever' mentions, etc and so on.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:

Aye nobody every mentions spelling mistakes on here. As ever hypocrisy is king.

Nobody 'ever' mentions, etc and so on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I think he got excited in his haste to try and put me in my place. Its as well he does not teach English.
Andymac

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 pm

I have personally put a lot of hard work in trying to reconcile some of the outdated stereotypes that haunt this archaic forum. Some of the Ken Goodwin type posters need to be dragged into the 21st Century. I thought we were doing ok.

Then Mr R lets himself get owned by a Mick about something or other and we might as well give in to a soft brexit with Coca Cola sponsored borders. You cunts make me fucking sick :puker:

Fuck right off.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 04, 2018 6:56 am

Ontolly wrote:Ken Goodwin type posters . .

Fuck right off.

Settle down now

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Ontolly wrote:I have personally put a lot of hard work in trying to reconcile some of the outdated stereotypes that haunt this archaic forum. Some of the Ken Goodwin type posters need to be dragged into the 21st Century. I thought we were doing ok.

Then Mr R lets himself get owned by a Mick about something or other and we might as well give in to a soft brexit with Coca Cola sponsored borders. You cunts make me fucking sick :puker:

Fuck right off.

You need a hug?
Andymac

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 pm

alex mccarthy seems to be finishing the season strongly at southampton. maybe finally establishing himself as a good top flight player, as he very much looked in his half dozen leeds games.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm

redders has just won the league title for doncaster belles in his first season there, apparently first time in 24 years they've won it.

he's dropped a fair way down the ladder but you can't do better than that. i just hope it gets him a better paid job. another talented bloke who got wasted by the cellino machine.

https://twitter.com/carllygo/status/995740199505326081
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Quiffy wrote:redders has just won the league title for doncaster belles in his first season there, apparently first time in 24 years they've won it.

he's dropped a fair way down the ladder but you can't do better than that. i just hope it gets him a better paid job. another talented bloke who got wasted by the cellino machine.

Women's second division title, different ladder sirely? Glad that he's found work, doubt we'll see him managing in the championship again but he should be able to find work coaching the youth in someone's academy.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon May 14, 2018 6:00 am

Quiffy wrote:redders has just won the league title for doncaster belles in his first season there, apparently first time in 24 years they've won it.

https://twitter.com/carllygo/status/995740199505326081

I think it's a good match for him, slightly higher profile than an academy I'd have thought and aligns nicely with what his Mrs does. The women's game remains a long way behind but it's starting to look like it might have a decent future if it's handled correctly.

Return to “The Square Ball”