Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ponte

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Ponte » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 am

Tommy wrote:Did he ever play a match for us?

Did he get injured before he got chance to play or am I mixing up my underwhelming loan players?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 pm

the flying pig wrote:Definite drugs test needed for lichaj.

Shame not ex Leeds & one we missed preseason.
Aden Flint - that leap & goal line clearance save v Sheik City in the Tai Cup semi, literally nearly headed the cross bar, the guy has been immense for them-

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Ponte wrote:
Tommy wrote:Did he ever play a match for us?

Did he get injured before he got chance to play or am I mixing up my underwhelming loan players?

One month emergency loan but did not start for us.
2009 however he could not displace Casper A then Kasper S came through

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Speaking of ex-keepers that never played, if you blinked at all in mid-2015 you can be forgiven for not being able to recall former US U23 international Charlie Horton. He was a reserve keeper from Peterborough and Cardiff who briefly came to us when Rosler was the manager. We allowed him to cancel his contract for personal reasons before he had a chance to feature in any serious capacity. He subsequently signed for DC United but has since been forced to retire after being allegedly assaulted during training by a team-mate.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Wow. Some fucking horiffic stuff in the Graun.
And Williams was at LUFC for a good long time, I'd forgotten about the manner of his departure.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:Wow. Some fucking horiffic stuff in the Graun.
And Williams was at LUFC for a good long time, I'd forgotten about the manner of his departure.

Amazing that my opinion of Rix could go further down. But there it goes, tunneling for China.

And Williams can fucking die in a fire.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:Wow. Some fucking horiffic stuff in the Graun.

Yeah, sounds cuntish. No wonder Kenneth liked him.

Tommy

Ex White watch

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Tommy wrote:https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/953313910664388610

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 pm

massimo will be buying steve evans two plane tickets soon.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Quiffy wrote:massimo will be buying steve evans two plane tickets soon.

:salute:

Munson

Postby Munson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 pm

Quiffy wrote:massimo will be buying steve evans two plane tickets soon.

Has he put it all straight back on then ?

Or is the other seat for the sombrero...

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Gary Speed in the news today.

One of 4 players once coached by Barry Bennell to have subsequently commuted suicide.

I've no idea how that links with the normal ratio, or indeed how many people he coached through the years. This could just be somebody at the trial trying to make an emotive point but it doesn't sound great.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Gary Speed in the news today.

One of 4 players once coached by Barry Bennell to have subsequently commuted suicide.

I've no idea how that links with the normal ratio, or indeed how many people he coached through the years. This could just be somebody at the trial trying to make an emotive point but it doesn't sound great.

Lots of places running with this and running too far, I think. Worth a read of full reports to get to what's actually being said (here's one --> https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... themselves)

This is the key part, and I've bolded the key key key part:

Gary Speed was one of four players from Barry Bennell’s junior football teams who killed themselves later in life after being coached by the man now charged with multiple sex offences against young footballers, the jury at Bennell’s trial was told.

Speed, the former Wales manager, hanged himself in November 2011, at the age of 42. One man whom Bennell admitted abusing in 1998 told the court he knew of other boys from the same teams who had been left destitute, suicidal and addicted to drugs or alcohol.

Describing how his own ordeal still haunted him, Bennell’s victim told Liverpool crown court he was “sick to death” of it still being in his life; he told the jury he had wanted to get in touch with Speed’s parents because he had read in the media that they had not been able to get closure as there was no explanation for their son’s death.

“Four people from teams I have played with, with Bennell, have taken their own lives,” he said. “Whether they have taken their lives due to Barry solely I don’t know but all I know is how it’s had an impact on me and how it could impact on other people. When people are breaking down on the phone, when people are on the verge of suicide, when you hear of people who have taken their own lives.”
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Not sure on the point re. Suicide going too far, surely it has to be a big consideration.?

Uk Suicide rate is 16 per 100k (men) so if Bennell coached 25k lads (unlikely) in his career then it’s about ‘right’.....I suspect it’s far from right though

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Yeboah wrote:Not sure on the point re. Suicide going too far, surely it has to be a big consideration.?

Uk Suicide rate is 16 per 100k (men) so if Bennell coached 25k lads (unlikely) in his career then it’s about ‘right’.....I suspect it’s far from right though

If he *abused* 25k boys and it had no impact on suicides you'd expect 4 suicides in total.

But of course he can't possibly have abused nearly so many. I get the impression he was 'at large' for twenty years max. A new victim per day every day would mean 20*365~ 7k victims, but even that'd be an extraordinary total. My impression is that he mostly focused on a handful of favorites... I reckon a fairly toppy estimate would be one new victim per week, so about a thousand victims... It does not seem at all unlikely that abuse was a factor in more than one of these cases.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Fuck me, shake your heads, the pair of you statistical geniuses. Run a fucking t-test... Christ.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I think part of the process of achieving at a high level in sport is to do with having a particularly driven personality, and then that has a set of issues around self-worth and so on. It kind of wouldn’t be surprising to see higher suicide rates in retired sportsmen.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 pm

I know absolutely nothing about Gary Speed other than what I have seen on the telly. I have to say that my image of how he was as a person (based on nothing more than what I seen on the drug of the nation) fits the profile of someone abused. I could quantify that if I could be arsed but let's just extend the hypothesis. Living with a thing unable to share that finally eats away and drives to torment opposed to a psychotic episode with no other explanation.

AT the end of the day it's just all like Mr Reality's point. Something we will never know.

The link is newsworthy though imho.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:50 am

Front page of the Metro this morning. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, based on facts the paper’s putting two and two together and making 27. It’s a shitty way to deal with a dead bloke and his family.

Return to “The Square Ball”