Ex White watch

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mr Reality

Re: Ex White watch

Postby Mr Reality » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Phatphil65 wrote:Wasn't going to take the bait from the miserable git, but as you are a maths teacher (so I believe), isn't 1992 more than "15-20" years ago?

Anyway, name the players, in that timescale, who were more naturally talented the The Sardine.

He was in England till 97( So just over 20 years ago) there wasn't any bait just a general comment. Not sure why you need to mention my job.

As for better players how many do you want?

To name a few
Henry
Aguero
Sanchez
Suarez
Torres
Van persie
Bergkamp
Tevez
Drogba
Ronaldo
Hazard

That's only a few attackers could list plenty more.

Cantona was a shiny toy when English football was dull and lacking in quality, so far behind Italy it was untrue. But he never did it Europe or France. The fact he was on trial at Sheffield Wednesday tells you all you need to know.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Do you mind me asking what age you are Mr R. I'm interested only from the perspective of how old you were when those players , (and Cantona in particular)were in their pomp

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 pm

If you disagree that's fine in life that happens.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Mr Reality wrote:If you disagree that's fine in life that happens.

Well I suppose I'd disagree with the majority on the list , but as you say that's no big deal.

Genuinely it occurred to me that your frame of reference might be different if you were still quite young when Cantona was here which is not improbable.

Munson

Postby Munson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 am

Phatphil65 wrote:
Munson wrote:Still a cunt though.

And what has that got to do with it?

We have had many cunts play for us both before and after him. I don't want to invite him around my Mums for tea, but if he wore white and played well for us , then he gets a pass from me.

Well yes, i probably should've clarified that as a personal opinion.

Talented player no doubt. Loved watching him play.
But then 1996. We played them at home I was at ER with a bunch of mates and family. Part of my stag do to boot.
We lost four nil. At home. To them. At home. 4-0.
He scored at the kop end. Stood and did his sort of statue celebration thing. All majestic and "fuck you" like.
Ruined the stag do. The wedding.
Marriage turned out to be a shambles.
Because Eric.

In fairness, we'd lost it way before that.

I still should've Kung Foo Kenny'd him.
In the throat.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 pm

In other news, good to see Burnley not won a game since 12th December. Coincides almost exactly with Charlie Taylors’ promotion to 1st team.

Phatphil65

Postby Phatphil65 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Yeboah wrote:In other news, good to see Burnley not won a game since 12th December. Coincides almost exactly with Charlie Taylors’ promotion to 1st team.

Wood ain't no good too.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am

Mr Reality wrote:
Phatphil65 wrote:Wasn't going to take the bait from the miserable git, but as you are a maths teacher (so I believe), isn't 1992 more than "15-20" years ago?

Anyway, name the players, in that timescale, who were more naturally talented the The Sardine.

He was in England till 97( So just over 20 years ago) there wasn't any bait just a general comment. Not sure why you need to mention my job.

As for better players how many do you want?

To name a few
Henry
Aguero
Sanchez
Suarez
Torres
Van persie
Bergkamp
Tevez
Drogba
Ronaldo
Hazard

That's only a few attackers could list plenty more.

Cantona was a shiny toy when English football was dull and lacking in quality, so far behind Italy it was untrue. But he never did it Europe or France. The fact he was on trial at Sheffield Wednesday tells you all you need to know.

you've basically named 11 ATG's, who at their best were indeed all a fair bit better than Eric [streets ahead in the case of Henry & Ronaldo]. but that doesn't alter the fact that he was, as i said earlier, as good as any forward in england at the time [probably not actually better than someone like say ian wright but just about as good, in his very different way], other than shearer, & as such an immensely handy asset to a basically midtable squad like the one we had in 92/93.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm

not-all-that-questionable red for 'Fab Fabian' tonight, but plenty of bitching from Citeh.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:44 pm

the flying pig wrote:not-all-that-questionable red for 'Fab Fabian' tonight, but plenty of bitching from Citeh.

You think? Barely even a booking for me.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
the flying pig wrote:not-all-that-questionable red for 'Fab Fabian' tonight, but plenty of bitching from Citeh.

i def thought red. no control, dangerous.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:

Certainly jumped into it but he's on the deck with the trailing leg tucked under before the actual tackle part, the other foot is high and studs showing but he looks in control to me and took plenty of the ball, need a better angle to really see how much. Can see why the ref has sent him off (clearly influenced, was going yellow) but it really wasn't that bad.

He's always had an odd technique, it doesn't do him any favours and was pointed out as something he need to address while still with us.

FER

Postby FER » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Certainly jumped into it but he's on the deck with the trailing leg tucked under before the actual tackle part, the other foot is high and studs showing but he looks in control to me and took plenty of the ball, need a better angle to really see how much. Can see why the ref has sent him off (clearly influenced, was going yellow) but it really wasn't that bad.

He's always had an odd technique, it doesn't do him any favours and was pointed out as something he need to address while still with us.

I thought it was a straight red when I saw it. Then questioned why the ref, who clearly had the yellow out, decided to send him off. Influenced certainly, but hope it was the lino in his ear, rather than the players on the pitch.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

topbin

Postby topbin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Interesting little read on Rob Hulse's new career - refreshing view on life

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/rob- ... hs-physio/

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm

topbin wrote:Interesting little read on Rob Hulse's new career - refreshing view on life

for some reason i was really heartened by that.

though he did earn a lot in his career, i'm not sure that the pfa should have paid for his degree course given how many ex players [especially those who might only play a few matches before drifting out of the pro game] with incomparably poorer careers end up in so much shit.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm

topbin wrote:Interesting little read on Rob Hulse's new career - refreshing view on life

He will see if Leeds United are still on for promotion, how Sheffield United are doing, check that Derby are OK;

There's a great deal to read into the phrasing of that, should you be so inclined :lol:

topbin

Postby topbin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 pm

the flying pig wrote:

for some reason i was really heartened by that.

though he did earn a lot in his career, i'm not sure that the pfa should have paid for his degree course given how many ex players [especially those who might only play a few matches before drifting out of the pro game] with incomparably poorer careers end up in so much shit.

Yeah I had that thought process a little as well, but then I thought, y'know, they're actually rewarding someone for making a long-term strategic career decision rather than just getting someone out of the shit. It will give other players motivation to try and do something similar up-front? I mean obviously the obscene amounts of money they get they should be able to afford a £10k physiotherapy course but I don't know what state his finances were in at the time and I doubt he was ever on a ludicrous amount of money given his profile/time of being goodish.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:

Red every time in today's footie.
Dangerous. The game is played at such a high pace these days it has to be red.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Mustafaster wrote:...

nice to see another ex white weighing in.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... t-14313825

i liked the decision because, i suppose:

1) it seemed on balance correct, albeit not stonewall [none of the main camera angles i saw seemed to really unequivocally nail exactly which of his two feet made contact with what & at what speed];
2) moneybags clubs so often get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these decisions; and
3) pep himself has in the past done so much blubbing about dangerous tackles.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:25 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:...

nice to see another ex white weighing in.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... t-14313825

i liked the decision because, i suppose:

1) it seemed on balance correct, albeit not stonewall [none of the main camera angles i saw seemed to really unequivocally nail exactly which of his two feet made contact with what & at what speed];
2) moneybags clubs so often get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these decisions; and
3) pep himself has in the past done so much blubbing about dangerous tackles.

I think I saw an extension of "FA Cup Rules" refereeing there. So many times in the past couple of years but most noticeably this in televised games there seems to a heavy bias in favour of the lesser side - if they commit a heavy challenge they're clumsy or have been fooled by a superior player, nowt they could do, honest challenge. Flip the same situation and the quality player should know better, no excuse for that... etc. Not so much on potential red card situations but many on yellow vs not even a lecture.

But yeah, the Pep bleating angle is quite sweet.

Return to “The Square Ball”