Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mustafaster

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Mustafaster » Tue May 26, 2020 11:00 am

Been in t' garden all morning, transplanting stuff into the veggie patch.
Had Radio 6 on, in the hope of hearing something new and interesting.
No.
Wall-to-wall landfill indie, all exactly the fuckin same.
Songs with jangly guitars and breathless boys singing in an L.A. accent even though they come from Biggleswade or Cheltenham.
Nothing changes. It starts, and goes on exactly the same for 3-4 minutes and fades out.
Kept waiting for it to improve ...
Shan't make that mistake again for a while.
Grrrr...
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue May 26, 2020 11:35 am

Ontolly wrote:On topic - what the fuck is it with the mods on this board? As I understand it - gazurtoids and perseus both fucked off long ago and whoever the others are they ought to be fucking accountable for their piss poor performance. No response whatsoever to any of my complaints about posters on this site.

Over time I have made complaints about Blackwhite, Dirty Leeds, Olthwaite, b@stard, Welsh, Jackos, Andypaul, Andymac (twice), Yeboah, Vampire, Linda, Mr Reality (4 times), Tommy, quiffy, John giles and Ponte. None of my concerns have been acknowledged and other than Mr R it seems that the cunts I have complained about remain at large and able to continue posting at will.

Fucking shambles

Just caught up with this in true mod style. I think I'm the only mod who frequents this board now really and I only have limited privileges anyway.

I usually ignore any complaints against posters anyway and the forum polices it's self.

Any major concerns I'd PM Welsh

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am

Mustafaster wrote:Been in t' garden all morning, transplanting stuff into the veggie patch.
No.
Songs with jangly guitars and breathless boys singing in an L.A. accent even though they come from Biggleswade or Cheltenham.
Nothing changes. It starts, and goes on exactly the same for 3-4 minutes and fades out.
Grrrr...

I don't really understand the logic but AM and PM commuter hours are unusually banal. If you want to get even slightly off the beaten track on R6 it's late evenings or weekend afternoons. I assume market research shows that banality is particularly necessary on the way to or from work.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:market research shows that banality is particularly necessary on the way to or from work.

Helps unsighted people not come off the road in surprise at particularly dissonant chord changes.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Been in t' garden all morning, transplanting stuff into the veggie patch.
No.
Grrrr...

with the lack of sport i've been listening to more radio 6 of late and have found craig charles an improvement on steve lamacq at tea time, a bit less dross 90's indie that wasn't ever independent anyway. i've even grown partial to lauren laverne in a morning, probably for the wrong reasons. can't say i listened today*, but when you're normalised to captain beefheart i can imagine a lot of things sound unadventurous.

*fell off a ladder instead.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Quiffy wrote:*fell off a ladder instead.

You're really taking this being a shortarse to heart, aren't you?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 26, 2020 4:07 pm

Quiffy wrote:with the lack of sport i've been listening to more radio 6 of late and have found craig charles an improvement on steve lamacq at tea time, a bit less dross 90's indie that wasn't ever independent anyway. i've even grown partial to lauren laverne in a morning, probably for the wrong reasons.

I think one of the worst qualities in a radio presenter is an over-abundance of enthusiasm, so I can't really be doing with Craig Charles. I can live with the mild-mannered Lauren and Gilles Peterson of a weekend. Overall Tom Ravenscroft is the best of R6 for me, have to listen on iPlayer because he goes out very late.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue May 26, 2020 4:46 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:with the lack of sport i've been listening to more radio 6 of late and have found craig charles an improvement on steve lamacq at tea time, a bit less dross 90's indie that wasn't ever independent anyway. i've even grown partial to lauren laverne in a morning, probably for the wrong reasons.

I think one of the worst qualities in a radio presenter is an over-abundance of enthusiasm, so I can't really be doing with Craig Charles. I can live with the mild-mannered Lauren and Gilles Peterson of a weekend. Overall Tom Ravenscroft is the best of R6 for me, have to listen on iPlayer because he goes out very late.

i've only really listened to tom ravenscroft when he sat in at tea times. i agree, he was good, a right varied understated selection of music and a likeable bloke. it was a shame when bloody lamacq came back.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue May 26, 2020 4:48 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:*fell off a ladder instead.

You're really taking this being a shortarse to heart, aren't you?

i can't even wish you a 16 hour flight with limited legroom at the moment. :evil:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 pm

There’s an Old Lewes Facebook page that’s kind of interesting (to me) because of the stuff about old buildings, lost pubs etc, but me and the Mrs also take the piss out of all the old farts posting, ‘Who remembers Mrs Miggins who ran the corner shop, they had the best sherbet lemons’, then all the replies are about what her dog was called and her daughter had rickets and they moved to Colchester etc.

Today I was trying to remember some shit about the small town where I grew up and I foolishly joined the equivalent page for there. All of a sudden I’m catapulted into a world where 30 year-olds are posting, ‘Does anyone remember ...’ and replies are, ‘My dad used to work there’ and it turns out that the dad is some old fucker I was at school with and I’m thinking, ‘Yeah but I remember the landlord before the one you’re talking about’. And I’m definitely not posting on there, but I can see that I’m just that sad old fart who remembers way back, like the Lewes page.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue May 26, 2020 8:31 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:There’s an Old Lewes Facebook page that’s kind of interesting (to me) because of the stuff about old buildings, lost pubs etc, but me and the Mrs also take the piss out of all the old farts posting, ‘Who remembers Mrs Miggins who ran the corner shop, they had the best sherbet lemons’, then all the replies are about what her dog was called and her daughter had rickets and they moved to Colchester etc.

Today I was trying to remember some shit about the small town where I grew up and I foolishly joined the equivalent page for there. All of a sudden I’m catapulted into a world where 30 year-olds are posting, ‘Does anyone remember ...’ and replies are, ‘My dad used to work there’ and it turns out that the dad is some old fucker I was at school with and I’m thinking, ‘Yeah but I remember the landlord before the one you’re talking about’. And I’m definitely not posting on there, but I can see that I’m just that sad old fart who remembers way back, like the Lewes page.

See also Pudsey born and bred
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue May 26, 2020 8:34 pm

No.
Grrrr...

I know what you mean but as an antidote to all that young person's earnestness get on some Maconie and Radcliffe of a weekend morning. Excellent, varied music and some non-annoying between-song chat.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue May 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Matt White wrote:
I know what you mean but as an antidote to all that young person's earnestness get on some Maconie and Radcliffe of a weekend morning. Excellent, varied music and some non-annoying between-song chat.

I'm trying to help out here by pointing out the gross error in the sentence.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 26, 2020 9:20 pm

AndyPaul wrote:
Just caught up with this in true mod style. I think I'm the only mod who frequents this board now really and I only have limited privileges anyway.

I usually ignore any complaints against posters anyway and the forum polices it's self.

As you know, AP, I also moderate this site the same as your good self (Just ignoring the snowflakes). Please don't encourage posters to PM me with anymore complaints.

My inbox has been full for over a week and it's taking up too much of my time reading complaints off Beatles and McCartney fans.

One very irate poster on here was saddened with people for not appreciating McCartney's "Classics"
such as:

Say say say
C moon
Silly love songs
Juniors farm
And that bagpipes song.

All I can do is ask the perpetrating posters to lay off Sir Paul for the good of the sites wellbeing and harmony. Thank you.
WW.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:30 pm

welshwhite wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:

As you know, AP, I also moderate this site the same as your good self (Just ignoring the snowflakes). Please don't encourage posters to PM me with anymore complaints.

My inbox has been full for over a week and it's taking up too much of my time reading complaints off Beatles and McCartney fans.

One very irate poster on here was saddened with people for not appreciating McCartney's 'Classics'
such as:

Say say say
C moon
Silly love songs
Juniors farm
And that bagpipes song.

All I can do is ask the posters to lay off Sir Paul for the good of the sites wellbeing and harmony. Thank you.
WW.

This is about that doggone girl again isn't it?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 pm

Ontolly wrote:This is about that doggone girl again isn't it?

That was a classic, there was another one he did with MJ, a song about a piano, Can't remember the name of it, that was a belter.

Two huge recording megastars lighting up the world of music :cheers:
I can't understand people not liking the rubber-mouthed crooner.

I suppose some music cynics would be wondering if some of Sir Paul's efforts would have had the same success had they been recorded by some unknown musician.

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Tue May 26, 2020 10:42 pm

[/quote]

Silly love songs
[/quote]

Absolute banger

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Wed May 27, 2020 4:04 am

Ontolly wrote:
Matt White wrote:

I'm trying to help out here by pointing out the gross error in the sentence.

...aaand the thread's back on track :D

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 27, 2020 8:04 am

Mustafaster wrote:Wall-to-wall landfill indie, all exactly the fuckin same.

FWIW I was just listening to a bit of a landfill indie-cast on NTS waiting for summat else to start, and I'd say that the prevalent accent was the Blur-esque Estuary English thing. Whether that's preferable is debatable, I guess.
HM Collector Of Parcels

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 am

And I'd get quite a lot of pleasure from beating Stuart Maconie to a bloody pulp, the irritating Lanc halfwit, but that's just me.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Return to “The Square Ball”