Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FER

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby FER » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Got pulled by 5.0 on Sunday. Undertaking an unmarked car whilst speeding.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:50 pm

FER wrote:Got pulled by 5.0 on Sunday. Undertaking an unmarked car whilst speeding.

Needs to go in the thick cunts thread.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 pm

FER wrote:Got pulled by 5.0 on Sunday. Undertaking an unmarked car whilst speeding.

What do you get for that 3 or 6?
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Undertaking can't be punished enough IMO. Had some stupid bitch slam past me on the inside couple months ago then swerve into the three-car gap I was keeping, slamming on their brakes to avoid hitting him. Which meant I almost got hit by the guy behind me with shittier brakes, etc and so cuntishly on...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Undertaking can't be punished enough IMO. Had some stupid bitch slam past me on the inside couple months ago then swerve into the three-car gap I was keeping, slamming on their brakes to avoid hitting him. Which meant I almost got hit by the guy behind me with shittier brakes, etc and so cuntishly on...

That's very different though. IMO undertaking is fully justified when some cunt is needlessly sitting in the other lane, it's all round more efficient than slowing down and waiting for them to get the message. Doing it to then squeeze into a gap small enough that other people have to brake isn't on.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Undertaking can't be punished enough IMO. Had some stupid bitch slam past me on the inside couple months ago then swerve into the three-car gap I was keeping, slamming on their brakes to avoid hitting him. Which meant I almost got hit by the guy behind me with shittier brakes, etc and so cuntishly on...

That's very different though. IMO undertaking is fully justified when some cunt is needlessly sitting in the other lane, it's all round more efficient than slowing down and waiting for them to get the message. Doing it to then squeeze into a gap small enough that other people have to brake isn't on.

No, it's never, ever justified.
If somebody is driving in the middle lane when they should be a lane over, well it's poor driving, but it's not dangerous.
Overtaking on the inside is fuckin dangerous, it's much worse than being in the wrong lane.
Somebody driving poorly doesn't give you the right to drive dangerously.
You're a danger to other road users and need your license taking away for a few months because you clearly have no understanding of risk.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:

If somebody is driving in the middle lane when they should be a lane over, well it's poor driving, but it's not dangerous.
Overtaking on the inside is fuckin dangerous, it's much worse than being in the wrong lane.
You're a danger to other road users and need your license taking away for a few months because you clearly have no understanding of risk.

Is the air thin up there on that horse?

Is it wrong? yeah. Is it dangerous? Well inherently more dangerous than not doing it but the risk depends on the situation. See also speeding, driving with one hand on the wheel, speaking on hands free etc etc etc.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:That's very different though. IMO undertaking is fully justified when some cunt is needlessly sitting in the other lane, it's all round more efficient than slowing down and waiting for them to get the message. Doing it to then squeeze into a gap small enough that other people have to brake isn't on.

It was a cop so I guess that in this case FER was pissed off sitting behind someone who was driving at the legal limit and grew frustrated by it. Just bad luck in this case. Happens thousands of times a day everywhere in the world. NO fucker sticks to the legal limit on a motorway if there's no cameras around. And the majority of drivers get frustrated when someone who does sits in the outside lane.

Fuck all to do about it. Pay your fine and get on with your life feeling like a daft twat for a while.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:

That's just a load of shite isn't it? It's a perfectly legal move in the US, I've driven there, I've not considered it any less safe that UK roads. The situation is what matters and there's an element of common sense needed rather than outright own the road arrogance, which I can assure you is not me. There's a question of speed on the whole manoeuvre, there's a question of traffic, road type.. etc. Flying past someone on either side at 100mph to their sub 70 is dangerous, more so on the side they're not going to be expecting it, undertaking in the slow lane when some cunt is happily sat in the fast lane with a full empty lane in between? Dangerous? fuck off. There's a whole world in between too - 40mph dual carriageway really shouldn't be an issue at any point, rush hour where no cunt is changing lanes but they're ebbing and flowing at different times well below the speed limit, what idiot is going to let a massive gap open up purely to avoid under taking? Ultimately, so long as the other driver has an awareness you're there, where's the danger? Undertaking a lorry knowing its blind spots, well, different kettle of fish, clearly.

Any yes, in FER's case, I'm assuming the offence they're bothered about is the speeding rather than the undertaking.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:

What the fuck is wrong with getting up their back end, overtaking then swerving across two lanes close in front of them?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 pm

I also have to beg to differ that US freeway free-for-all driving, lane changing with no notice, passing in any manner at any relative speed, is as safe as UK roads. Like fuck is it, they're arseholes, always terrifies me. They literally do what they like, it's insane. That's the way we're going too, unless we get some fucking decorum back.

Our model should be autobahn driving, predictable speed differentials by lane, good discipline, and defensive driving styles. Passing someone doing 80 while doing 130 is not problematic so long as nobody is a cunt. A challenge in the UK, but possible.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I also have to beg to differ that US freeway free-for-all driving, lane changing with no notice, passing in any manner at any relative speed, is as safe as UK roads. Like fuck is it, they're arseholes, always terrifies me. They literally do what they like, it's insane. That's the way we're going too, unless we get some fucking decorum back.

Our model should be autobahn driving, predictable speed differentials by lane, good discipline, and defensive driving styles. Passing someone doing 80 while doing 130 is not problematic so long as nobody is a cunt. A challenge in the UK, but possible.

Disagree on the US thing. My freeway experience, albeit some while back, was legal min 40, legal max 55, so everyone trots along at roughly the same speed. No need to change lanes because what’s the point? Seemed pretty safe.

But massive speed differentials between lanes are always hyper dangerous. It’s really hard to judge big speed differences, and the slightest misjudgment gets you very dead very quickly.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Yes, let's all drive at 55.

London_White

Postby London_White » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Yes, let's all drive at 55.

I already do, just get fed up with people undertaking me but otherwise it's fine

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 am

London_White wrote:

I already do, just get fed up with people undertaking me but otherwise it's fine

:mrgreen:

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:46 am

There should be a 4th lane for all the speeding fucking idiots that are happy to risk killing themselves and their passengers. Let those fuckers drive as fast as they want in that lane. If they come out of that lane for any other reason than to leave at a junction they should have an automatic 6 months ban and huge fine.

The cost of building the 4th lanes can come out of all the speeding fines and Gatso money.

Job done.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Fucking Hell! Poked the hornets nest, or what!!!

FWIW, it was a dual carriageway and yes, Jackos is right; I always get pissed off at people driving at the limit. I only got a ticking off by the Pig who's first question, ironically, was "Are you in a hurry?" I honestly thought that was only ever said in jest, but I guess not. Phil, he didn't make reference to what was worse, the speeding or undertaking, he just gave me a bollocking, with the Mrs and kids there to witness it all!

On the wider subject, middle land hogs are cunts and should be banned. Undertaking them and then signalling that they're cunts is perfectly fine, as is overtaking them and swerving in front of them, gesticulating that they should move over and that they're cunts.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 pm

My experience of US driving has mostly been around Los Angeles and I found the freeways, where they all do 55mph, very safe for the most part. Didn't really notice the drop in speed so much because everyone was doing it.
The only thing I found alarming was the junction arrangements, where, typically, they'd have the exit just AFTER the entry slips, so folks would be coming out onto the freeway just as you were looking to get off - led to some very rapid criss-cross bullshit going on and I saw plenty of near misses. [I knew about it before my first visit, so was looking out, but even the locals seemed to have problems with it.]
Fucking weird for them to set it up like that, I thought.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:40 pm

Lot of random moralising on here. Clearly there are all sorts of factors which impact on driver safety: condition of the road and weather; condition of your car; other traffic; personal tiredness and distraction etc. Speed limits are some kind of average sensible compromise thing without very fixed relationships with outcome. You can't reasonably argue that it's safe to drive at 69mph but suicidally dangerous to drive at 71mph. I'd go further and say that 65mph could be more dangerous if you're tired on a busy, shitty pot-holed road than 100mph on an empty motorway in perfect conditions.

But all that said, if someone came along tomorrow and said all cars are automatically limited to 55mph or 20 in built-up areas, with restricted acceleration, I'd happily go along with it because:

a) Emissions, and
b) Anything which might help to stop some people - me included, TBPFH - seeing their wee metal boxes as extensions of their ego is no bad thing.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Lot of random moralising on here.

You're right: should be on the stats thread.

Return to “The Square Ball”