Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Devi

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Devi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Perhaps more 'spitting tacks old man', or indeed, 'because wives', but the neighbours extension build blocked our Sky dish on Xmas eve, so I asked them politely to take it down till after the festivities.

Back up again today, cue no signal, no chance to watch my nag run at Chepstow, and me spending an hour driving around South London trying to find the appropriate bits to move the dish, at my fucking cost, while said neighbours enjoy a day at their in laws, my mrs enjoys a day up the shops with her sister, and I'm left to tidy the bombsite that I returned to after yesterdays trip to ER.

Oh, and would I make lunch for the familial return.

Fuck Christmas, and all who sail in her. Get yourself a fucking sammich.
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Piers Morgan has been rushed to hospital in a medical emergency.

Cunt isn't fucking dead.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

To the prick that broke into Mrs Devi’s car last night, fuck you and all your illegitimate siblings.
Hard.
And with the broken glass you’ve helpfully left as lube.
I like it. What is it?

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Devi wrote:To the prick that broke into Mrs Devi’s car last night, fuck you and all your illegitimate siblings.
Hard.
And with the broken glass you’ve helpfully left as lube.

Bad.
Andymac

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:13 pm

It’s really hard to advise your kids on unpaid internships. It would be easy to say ‘never do it’ but then if opportunities in a field are few and far between?

Daughter has a barely over min wage zero hours shop job on a ‘better than nothing’ basis. She was offered a two week unpaid internship in London so she’s sofa surfing with friends and paying expenses out of what she’s saved from her other job. Worst of it is she’s had to take her own high-spec laptop and use her own £25/month software licence. If it goes well, they might offer her more time, presumably unpaid. What the fuck is she supposed to do with that? Quit her other job and pay rent?

Christ I hate cunts like this.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:19 pm

I can only speak for biomedical research, but I've known a few get offered to ambitious kids in the better labs working in the trendy areas, where they have no 'in' on their CV. Every single one was a pisstake and an error for the kid. Without fail. Only ever offered by people with whom I count my fingers after shaking their hand.

If they want to see what you can do, they'll pay you. If they want to see what they can get out of you for nothing, they'll pay you nothing and feed you lies about the future.

Likesay, only my 2p.

Edit: it's at least experience for the CV, but in which case no longer than 2 months.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:It’s really hard to advise your kids on unpaid internships. It would be easy to say ‘never do it’ but then if opportunities in a field are few and far between?

Daughter has a barely over min wage zero hours shop job on a ‘better than nothing’ basis. She was offered a two week unpaid internship in London so she’s sofa surfing with friends and paying expenses out of what she’s saved from her other job. Worst of it is she’s had to take her own high-spec laptop and use her own £25/month software licence. If it goes well, they might offer her more time, presumably unpaid. What the fuck is she supposed to do with that? Quit her other job and pay rent?

Christ I hate cunts like this.

Further update on this, and out of curiosity does anyone on here have a working knowledge of intellectual copyright law?

So, for one thing daughter decided she’ll do this two weeks because fuck it, why not? She knows she’s being had but it’s a bit of experience and a change of scene.

She’s working at a small design company which does twee patterns and designs for stuff like phone cases, make up bags, accessories etc. Some shit they get made and sell themselves, some they sell on to eg High St brands.

Daughter has been working on a package for one of these third parties. They’ll be sent say 100 designs, may pick however many and will pay for them.

Clearly this is bollocks. No pay, the girl has used her own software and hardware and is potentially generating revenue for the company.

However, we had this conversation this evening.

Me: ‘So, did you sign a contract to say anything you produce belongs to them?’

Her: ‘Nope’

Me: ‘So you basically just made something on your equipment, on their premises, and gave it to them?’

Her: ‘Yep’

Me: ‘Well I’m pretty sure you still own the copyright for your work then’

Is that right? Is she free to flog whatever she’s done to someone else, if she feels like it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Was she on their WiFi?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Was she on their WiFi?

That or a hard connection, yep.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:37 am

I think that might give them all sorts of specious arguments to explore. Obvious non expert caveats.

IP is a tricky one that varies a bit by industry standards, I think. Mine got raped by universities or companies, but in both cases what I did in their premises was done for them, otherwise why was I doing it etc.

Likesay, ripoff, avoid.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:06 am

Blackwhite wrote:IP is a tricky one that varies a bit by industry standards, I think. Mine got raped by universities or companies

Big noting yourself again? What was it? A faster method of cleaning petri dishes?
:lol:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:37 am

Oh good, Vamps is here, no doubt shit-talking from my back pocket.

How was Invasion Day, Vampers? Kill any brown kids, rape any women?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 am

Blackwhite wrote:How was Invasion Day, Vampers? Kill any brown kids, rape any women?

Not sure what the point is in asking questions of someone you claim is “on ignore.” :lol:

But since you ask - if there was an “invasion” it was by the British. Ditto “killing brown kids” or “raping women.” We’re much more civilised since independence.

I can understand your frustration about not being eligible to emigrate here given that our points system awards nothing to petri dish cleaners and the 40 points for English language skills appears well out of your grasp.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 am

Back pocket. :mrgreen:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:16 am

And you still claim I’m on ignore. You’re the biggest bullsitter on this site.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 am

Vampire wrote:And you still claim I’m on ignore. You’re the biggest bullsitter on this site.

Not another on his imaginary foes list...........................If there's one thing you can guarantee on tinternet when folk say you're on ignore/foe,yours is the first fcking post they read,lol.

:basket:

;@)

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am

kennyb41 wrote:
Vampire wrote:And you still claim I’m on ignore. You’re the biggest bullsitter on this site.

Not another on his imaginary foes list...........................If there's one thing you can guarantee on tinternet when folk say you're on ignore/foe,yours is the first fcking post they read,lol.

:basket:

;@)

Spot on, Kenny. It’s a cowards trick but he’s one of the worst ever at disguising it.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Mrs Devi’s ex got himself in a little fracas at the weekend, with some tidy scrapes to his face, so off (oddly) toddled Mrs D to check his well being (and compose the story they’d tell their offspring, due to see ‘dad’ the following day.)
Story locked, dad duly arrived at ours to collect the boys, whereupon he tries a conversation with me, putting me off my kitchen stride as I made my tea.
And then I get a text today...

Good talking to you yesterday mate - Your a good guy

FFS man. How much more do I have to take?

It’s fucking “you’re”.
I like it. What is it?

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Devi wrote:Mrs Devi’s ex got himself in a little fracas at the weekend, with some tidy scrapes to his face, so off (oddly) toddled Mrs D to check his well being (and compose the story they’d tell their offspring, due to see ‘dad’ the following day.)
Story locked, dad duly arrived at ours to collect the boys, whereupon he tries a conversation with me, putting me off my kitchen stride as I made my tea.
And then I get a text today...

Good talking to you yesterday mate - Your a good guy

FFS man. How much more do I have to take?

It’s fucking “you’re”.

:lol: :lol:
Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Tell the boys he was ambushed by grammar Nazis.

Return to “The Square Ball”