Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Vampire » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:04 am

Dale White wrote:There are not enough local coppers around and they cant give them a thick ear like they used to do

You can always call your very own Clint Eastwood, Mr Ben Stokes, to clean up the town?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting humankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:28 am

Vampire wrote:
Dale White wrote:There are not enough local coppers around and they cant give them a thick ear like they used to do

You can always call your very own Clint Eastwood, Mr Ben Stokes, to clean up the town?

That reminds me, I need to buy a new shoehorn.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am

Wakefield White wrote:
Vampire wrote:

That reminds me, I need to buy a new shoehorn.

Heh-heh.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:25 pm

The Catalan thing.
Well pissed off with the BBC's inability to get the terminology right.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Mustafaster wrote:The Catalan thing.

Good to see you highlighting the big issue.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting humankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Vampire wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:The Catalan thing.

Good to see you highlighting the big issue.

Whoooooosh!
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

This will read as a particularly curmudgeonly GOM post, possibly AIBAC but fuck it. I'm going to Porto for the weekend tomorrow and I really don't want to.

My whole office is going, bar one or two dropouts. It's intended as a social but also going to look at various notable works of architecture etc. The office is paying for flights and the hotel. Thought long and hard about whether to go but ultimately decided that, given my position in the company I didn't have much choice, politically. Even Mrs O thinks I'm probably obliged. I don't especially like most of the people I work with and regard this as something of an imposition on my free time; as it was, I was supposed to be playing Uber-pa on a daughters house move this weekend and now need to take a day off as leave during next week instead.

For all this, my company can be a set of tight bastards. The first hackle-raiser was a suggestion of twin rooms. You want me, an old bastard, to share a room with someone I don't really know socially? Er, fuck right off. Then the flights got booked without any querying of whether people could either get to the airport early Friday or home on Sunday. I can't, on the train, but when I questioned this I was told I should book a couple of nights in a Stansted hotel at my expense. That will be a no. So I'm up at 4.30 tomorrow to drive, hoping I can get across the bridge before it turns to shite. £70 to park the car and obviously no drinking on the Sunday.

Then we're told that the boss has 'kindly' offered to pay for breakfast but the rest is down to us. There's an itinerary. We're going somewhere on a coach Saturday and have to pay for that as well as entry to various sights. There's an evening meal booked in a half-decent restaurant which we also have to pay for ourselves. All up, I can see that I'm out for £200 here at the very least, and I'd rather be spending my hard-earned on me and mine. I dunno, I reckon that if you're going to propose an office jolly, you're obliged to cover the cost of most of it.

Anyway, if the plane crashes, at least this post stands as a record of how much I dislike the pricks.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:49 am

Yep, would have to agree, the company should be covering the travel and group meal at the very least and there should be some provision for the uk end if it's that awkward for a high number of people.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Fuck, I'd hate that too. Paying a fair sum for a weekend away with a load of people you don't want to be with or even like that much... and at your time of life. Them being tight about it really puts the boot in. I'd have been tempted to go down with an illness earlier in the week and have to take a couple of days off before and after, so as to make it convincing.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Fuming because an engineer has, supposedly on a maintenance visit, scrubbed scripts that took me weeks to get off a machine costing 150k. And we paid roughly two grand for the privilege.

Meanwhile my cells lie dying and I can't do shit with them.

Cuuuuuuuuunt.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:This will read as a particularly curmudgeonly GOM post, possibly AIBAC but fuck it. I'm going to Porto for the weekend tomorrow and I really don't want to.

My whole office is going, bar one or two dropouts. It's intended as a social but also going to look at various notable works of architecture etc. The office is paying for flights and the hotel. Thought long and hard about whether to go but ultimately decided that, given my position in the company I didn't have much choice, politically. Even Mrs O thinks I'm probably obliged. I don't especially like most of the people I work with and regard this as something of an imposition on my free time; as it was, I was supposed to be playing Uber-pa on a daughters house move this weekend and now need to take a day off as leave during next week instead.

For all this, my company can be a set of tight bastards. The first hackle-raiser was a suggestion of twin rooms. You want me, an old bastard, to share a room with someone I don't really know socially? Er, fuck right off. Then the flights got booked without any querying of whether people could either get to the airport early Friday or home on Sunday. I can't, on the train, but when I questioned this I was told I should book a couple of nights in a Stansted hotel at my expense. That will be a no. So I'm up at 4.30 tomorrow to drive, hoping I can get across the bridge before it turns to shite. £70 to park the car and obviously no drinking on the Sunday.

Then we're told that the boss has 'kindly' offered to pay for breakfast but the rest is down to us. There's an itinerary. We're going somewhere on a coach Saturday and have to pay for that as well as entry to various sights. There's an evening meal booked in a half-decent restaurant which we also have to pay for ourselves. All up, I can see that I'm out for £200 here at the very least, and I'd rather be spending my hard-earned on me and mine. I dunno, I reckon that if you're going to propose an office jolly, you're obliged to cover the cost of most of it.

Anyway, if the plane crashes, at least this post stands as a record of how much I dislike the pricks.

Fuck that, I'm on your side massively. If they were paying for everything I would only be going out of obligation. If I was expected to pay for my own food etc on company trips I would not find it agreeable in the slightest.

We have fully expensed work jaunts to Italy with customers/for meetings etc and I only go because I have to. I hate other folk in general, a condition that grows with every passing year.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:This will read as a particularly curmudgeonly GOM post, possibly AIBAC but fuck it. I'm going to Porto for the weekend tomorrow and I really don't want to.

Personally, I think it's incredibly good of you to even agree to go. If I go to ANY work thing I'm expensing every last parking ticket, coffee and mile covered. Fuck 'em.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Ponte wrote:I hate other folk in general, a condition that grows with every passing year.

Fucking amen to that, brother.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm

No need to worry about the bridge at that time of the day Eric, you're going north so you'll be using the tunnel

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:10 pm

London_White wrote:No need to worry about the bridge at that time of the day Eric, you're going north so you'll be using the tunnel

Pedant!

FER

Postby FER » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Ponte wrote:I hate other folk in general, a condition that grows with every passing year.

x2

My default opinion of people these days is 'cunt' until they prove otherwise. It's a depressing place to be, but I find it helps numb the imminent disappointment of the following few seconds/minutes.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm

FER wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:

x2

My default opinion of people these days is 'cunt' until they prove otherwise. It's a depressing place to be, but I find it helps numb the imminent disappointment of the following few seconds/minutes.

X3.
Our guitarist flounced out on Tuesday because someone suggested he shouldn't perhaps be playing a distorted solo over the singer during a quiet part of a song.
Nobody tells me wot to play!

Close the door on yer way out ya cunt.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:07 pm

x4 - cunts the lot of them
Spoiler!
and yes you too you fucking cunt
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 pm

We have a department meeting twice a year at the head office in Manchester, about 100 of us and the one that is coming up in November will be shit. Like eric, we were asked to share rooms, fuck that was my direct answer.

The meeting is over 2 days and has always been tues/ weds or thurs/ fri. The cunts have now moved it to fri/ sat. Yes we can get the day back but again, fuck that.

On Monday, the girl in the office sent out the menu for the Friday night asking us to choose what we would like. I replied back saying I don't want anything as I will be going on the lash around Manchester and finishing my night with a kebab. I didn't get a reply.

Because we are all spread out over the country, we never see each other so no mates have been made apart from a few that I work with locally. I have no intention of sharing pleasantries with a bunch of stuck up cunts. Anyway, I am being head hunted and have an interview on the 24th.

MightyWhite

Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 am

On room sharing, I recall speaking to someone through my job complaining about having to share a room with a colleague on a Work trip. She was a woman, the colleague was a man. Amazing how companies can get such basic things so catastrophically wrong sometimes

Return to “The Square Ball”