Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Quite like that burgen bread with linseed. (Probably keeps your insides oiled like an old cricket bat.

Sourdough is the only respectable bread to toast of course

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Quite like that burgen bread with linseed. (Probably keeps your insides oiled like an old cricket bat.

Sourdough is the only respectable bread to toast of course

Me too, though since we were given a Panasonic breadmaker [by one of the Dimblebys, actually] I hardly eat the shop stuff any more. Fucking snob, me.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Sourdough is the only respectable bread to toast of course

Some of us elderly gentlemen have teeth in less than perfect condition, and toasted sourdough is like chewing glass.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:38 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Me too, though since we were given a Panasonic breadmaker [by one of the Dimblebys, actually] I hardly eat the shop stuff any more. Fucking snob, me.

Ooh, get her, sir. Does your butler cut off the crusts, milord? *grovels*
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Mrs DL is responsible. I think one of the Dimbos is a journo friend of hers online, or summat. Mentioned she was giving a breadmaker away and Mrs DL pounced. Picked it up and - guess what? - I'm the only fucker who bothers. But it really is amazing the diff between the [bog standard] bought stuff and the fresh made. Much cheaper too. Takes about 30 seconds to chuck the material in the machine last thing at night, and Bob's your half wholewheat/half strong white for breakfast. Highly recommended adjustment.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm

With the added benefit that your whole house smells like a Hovis ad as you wake up
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Devi wrote:With the added benefit that your whole house smells like a Hovis ad as you wake up

Aye lad. :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Argh fuck off both of you with your temptations... I've resisted these things for years because I like making breads by hand, and also like bread without big holes in the bottom, and now you're pulling this shit :evil:

I'm sticking to my guns. Best bread baker I know won't touch one, la la la, la la la...*earfingers*
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:39 am

Gas folks have been digging up roads round here replacing mains. They got to our house midweek and instachaos. We and neighbours adjust and get on with life, finding out from some other neighbours that "there was a letter a month back" which some never got. We didn't.

We got it today, dated yesterday, telling us about the upcoming work scheduled to start 18th September.
What's the suitable reply to the PM who signed off here?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 pm

This is a really petty hatred but Oak Furniture Land TV ads. All that no veneer in ere bollocks.

Firstly, any cheap furniture made out of solid timber is going to be wank and unstable. Christ knows where the wood comes from but I'd be astonished if it's been seasoned properly.

Secondly, it's loads more sustainable to make furniture out of decent veneered MDF made from forest thinnings and the like.

Total bullshit sales pitch based on fake authentic nonsense. Bunch of cunts.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:05 pm

To add: no skin in this game, but they got bit recently for even that slogan, there being some veneer shenanigans going on here and there.

But yeah, you get what you pay for.
Fuck MDF, BTW... god I hate that stuff. I'll buy pine and cope, that cheap crap shakes itself to pieces when you lean on it, bollocks, life's too short. And fuck Ikea, too...

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 pm

I bought from them, delighted with it. As far as I'm aware it's all oak though the chunky legs are not solid, don't weigh enough or sound right.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Blackwhite wrote:To add: no skin in this game, but they got bit recently for even that slogan, there being some veneer shenanigans going on here and there.

But yeah, you get what you pay for.
Fuck MDF, BTW... god I hate that stuff. I'll buy pine and cope, that cheap crap shakes itself to pieces when you lean on it, bollocks, life's too short. And fuck Ikea, too...

We bought a house from the deco period, and thought it would be fun to kit it out with authentic vintage furniture and lighting. Some of this stuff is now approaching 100 years old and it's still wonderful. Can't imagine much from oak furniture land lasting the test of time.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 am

Phil LUFC wrote:I bought from them, delighted with it. As far as I'm aware it's all oak though the chunky legs are not solid, don't weigh enough or sound right.

When you skip it in a couple of years because you fancy a change, remember that the tree it came from was older than you are.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I bought from them, delighted with it. As far as I'm aware it's all oak though the chunky legs are not solid, don't weigh enough or sound right.

When you skip it in a couple of years because you fancy a change, remember that the tree it came from was older than you are.

My intent is to keep it indefinitely. I didn't do change if I can help it, so it once and do it right (or as close to as possible). Same goes for the sofas, bought with a view to them lasting 20 years+.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or absolute cunts thread...

Went in to the M&S on market street in Manchester on the way home from work. Got in the lift with four young lads, say 14ish, who were up to no good, long story short, as they left the lift after a brief confrontation, one of them spat in my face. I decided that this was something I wouldn’t let go so followed them as they ran and shouted at the security guards to grab them, which they failed to do.

Just had a call from plod, apparently these little shits have been causing grief around the arndale for a few hours and they have loads of cctv so should be able to ID them.

The officer then said they hoped to catch them and undertake some “RJ”; where they get us together so the “victim” can explain how the crime made them feel. I suggested that maybe they could just get them up in court on an assault charge, but apparently that might be difficult? Why with cctv? Go figure?

First off, I’m no fucking victim, it’s only because I behaved like an adult that one or two of them dont have fewer teeth tonight, and other than the inconvenience of showering before I hugged my wife and daughter, it isn’t an event that will effect me in any way.

Secondly what the fuck is RJ going to achieve here, If they’ve been causing bother, they should end up in court and be punished, end of!
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 am

Unfortunately this is the sad state of affairs in the UK today, little cunts like this can do what the fuck they want because they know there will be very little or no action taken against them. There are not enough local coppers around and they cant give them a thick ear like they used to do, i'm glad you didn't lose your rag mate and slap one of them because it would be you up in court. No point the cops marching them back to the parents either because that is where the problems start.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm

If they spit in your face that's assault and you're justified in knocking them down, proportional action to stop further assault. Make sure to mop the spit on your clothes or a hanky as forensics are simple and will sort you out. Just remember to stop punching, unless they or their mates hit back, in which case go tonto.

#doesnotconstituteactuallegaladvice

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Dale White wrote:Unfortunately this is the sad state of affairs in the UK today, little cunts like this can do what the fuck they want because they know there will be very little or no action taken against them. There are not enough local coppers around and they cant give them a thick ear like they used to do, i'm glad you didn't lose your rag mate and slap one of them because it would be you up in court. No point the cops marching them back to the parents either because that is where the problems start.

Yeah I guess this is the thing that frustrates me, as a society we can solve things like this by decent parenting, decent policing, or plain old moral hazard (i.e. you don’t fuck with someone bigger or you’ll get a slap). If kids don’t have the former these days, then there are precious few boundaries to deter this sort of behavior.

Ultimately the “RJ” in this case should have been instant and painfull, the paradox being that had that being the natural consequence, the offense almost certainly wouldn’t have happened!

Strangely, should it be offered, I would quite like to go and meet the kids and their parents. Just to let them know what I think of them. I suspect the facilitator might think my comments were less than productive.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Speaking as someone who was beaten up by police to various degree on a number of occasions prior to PACE I'm glad we don't have coppers giving kids thick ears anymore. I suspect if a little cunt spat in my face I would have lost it and at the same time lost my career and most likely my liberty. I hope I never find myself in that position and if I do I hope that I can show the self-restraint WW showed.
Speaking as someone who was a yoof worker back in the day I'm sure that the kids today are probably no worse except they got better technology. Wouldn't like to get trapped in a lift with them mind :(
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Return to “The Square Ball”