Grumpy Old Man Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:59 pm

That's my rule of thumb too. Also not had any difficulties.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Smart Motorways: Since they've finished the work on the M1 past Sheffield it seems to just be an excuse to enforce a 50 or 60 limit blindly through the 2 busiest periods of the day +an hour before/after just to be sure, regardless of how busy it actually is, with cameras so it has to actually be obeyed.


FWIW my rule of thumb for these, and for average speed checks through roadworks, is you'll be OK if you keep it less than 10mph over the limit. I've not been done to date. Be interested to know whether anyone else has at that speed?

10% plus 2 was the guidance I was always given for speed limits in general but I'm never quite sure how picky they want to be with the average speed ones. Naturally the 50 limit round the M621 may as well not exist, quite happy to do 60-70 round there depending on traffic. The thing which has really put me off is the new fines they introduced linked to salary, for £60 and 3 points I was prepared to chance it but not if it's going to be 50% of my weekly earnings.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:57 pm

10% + 2 was years back, and stopped when speedometers became more accurate. I've known people get done for 31 in a 30, but the motorway stuff doesn't seem as rigid.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Eddies Boots » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Why not just drive the speed limit except when passing - takes all the guess work out of the equation.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Why not just drive the speed limit except when passing - takes all the guess work out of the equation.

Well that's kind of my point, I do (generally, see above for 50mph motorway exceptions), but it irks me when there's an unnecessary temporary speed restriction. 60mph on a free flowing motorway with no road works? Fuck off.

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm a 80mph man on motorways, traffic allowing of course

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Why not just drive the speed limit except when passing - takes all the guess work out of the equation.

:mrgreen:




Oh, you meant it? :D

US colleagues feel we all drive way too fast here. I point to lane discipline and the autobahn. And that they can't change gears without crashing.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm putting effort into slowing down over the years and I am getting there, bit by bit.

Only thing I'd say in my defence, your honour, is there's that bit in the Highway Code about always driving at a speed which is safe for the conditions. Well if you're on a dry motorway, good visibility, not much traffic, 70 is a bit of a random number. I am pretty solidly law abiding in 30 zones etc though.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Eddies Boots » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:12 am

eric olthwaite wrote:I'm putting effort into slowing down over the years and I am getting there, bit by bit.

Only thing I'd say in my defence, your honour, is there's that bit in the Highway Code about always driving at a speed which is safe for the conditions. Well if you're on a dry motorway, good visibility, not much traffic, 70 is a bit of a random number. I am pretty solidly law abiding in 30 zones etc though.


My appreciation for going the applicable speed has only been recent.
I do remember an Xmas morning on an empty M1 up to see the family, passing a plod when doing 100+ in the middle lane of 5 and no one in rear mirror (I discovered when checking to see whether plod had bothered to move).
And soon after i got here I was one of 7 pulled over at the same time - no "well it was safest to travel at the same speed as everyone else". We just parked in a line (no hands in pockets slouchers - they think you have a gun), and waited while the car and bike cops walked along handing out tickets. (Which i didn't pay - bloody tourists not contributing to the tax revenues :x )

A few years back they upped the speed limit to 75 on out-of-town stretches, which is okay by me. Stretch it over 80 and i get too much road noise.

User avatar
FER
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 am
Location: Hanging Out The Back Of Winona Ryder

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby FER » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 am

eric olthwaite wrote:10% + 2 was years back, and stopped when speedometers became more accurate. I've known people get done for 31 in a 30, but the motorway stuff doesn't seem as rigid.


You sure, Eric?

"...the ACPO Speed Enforcement Policy Guideline 2011-2015, Section 9.7 it underlines how, despite there being a tolerance, that does not override the final decision of a police officer"
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm a fucking fat, unfit cunt at the minute.

Basically my practice has always tended towards eating and drinking what I want, and trying to do just enough exercise to keep things under control. Due to a change in work circumstances I stopped bringing my bike into London about a year ago and it shows. So I've basically decided to sack off using the Tube between meetings (I move around a lot at the minute) and Boris biking or walking. I mostly work on the sixth floor and I've stopped using the lift. Trying a bit more discipline with food and drink.

All I will say, gentlemen, is be warned: once you get past 50 and you let things slide, it's a bastard steep hill to get yourself back up.

User avatar
Ponte
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Ponte » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I'm a fucking fat, unfit cunt at the minute.

Basically my practice has always tended towards eating and drinking what I want, and trying to do just enough exercise to keep things under control. Due to a change in work circumstances I stopped bringing my bike into London about a year ago and it shows. So I've basically decided to sack off using the Tube between meetings (I move around a lot at the minute) and Boris biking or walking. I mostly work on the sixth floor and I've stopped using the lift. Trying a bit more discipline with food and drink.

All I will say, gentlemen, is be warned: once you get past 50 and you let things slide, it's a bastard steep hill to get yourself back up.

That's what scares me into keeping it up. I've turned 40, run a reasonable amount and do a boot camp 2-3 times a week. If I have a 2-3 weeks of doing nowt I don't half find my fitness on its arse, very fucking quickly. In winter I'm very hit and miss with exercise so come the light nights I always feel like I'm starting from scratch, huffing my way through a couple of miles. Every fucking year.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 am

I find not taking exercise - mostly running, for me - makes me grumpy and fidgety, so I feel compelled to go out there every two or three days. Funny thing is, I started running before I went to Uni, aged 23 [I worked for 5 years], so's I wouldn't feel like an old, unfit cunt amongst all those 18-year-olds. [Yeah, I know!] Just never stopped... so, apart from illness breaks, I suppose I must have been running for 37 years. You'd think I'd have arrived by now.

Actually, having a dog for the past three years has made a difference - take a walk just about every day in some park or wood or other.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 am

My old man just stopped running marathons (but still running halves) at 73.


Obviously this is unacceptable behaviour, so I hate running. Bores me stupid. Dying earlier sounds fine as a cost.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 am

Blackwhite wrote:My old man just stopped running marathons (but still running halves) at 73.


Obviously this is unacceptable behaviour, so I hate running. Bores me stupid. Dying earlier sounds fine as a cost.


Impressive. Never really wanted to run that far. Boredom is also a factor for me. Somewhere between 2 and 5 miles is always plenty. Allows me to drift off and think of stuff. Didn't half notice the difference in air quality being down in Cornwall last week.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 am

Like cycling and walking, can't abide running.

I was a fan of the seven minutes workout thing but it's really hard to fit into a day. Don't have time of a morning, don't want to delay eating any more when I get home, don't want to exercise after I've eaten.

I'll just have to cope with being a fat cunt, I think.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Like cycling and walking, can't abide running.

I was a fan of the seven minutes workout thing but it's really hard to fit into a day. Don't have time of a morning, don't want to delay eating any more when I get home, don't want to exercise after I've eaten.

I'll just have to cope with being a fat cunt, I think.


That's exactly it, innit? We'll do what fits in with what we normally do. Was once a time when cycling to work near Oxford Street [from Camberwell], I'd stow the bike in the office, trot round to the YMCA gym, do some weights while I was still warm and then have a shower before work. Got really fit, for about 18 months until the routine changed because the office moved and there was no gym.
Now I work from home I can go out pretty much whenever it fits into the day. There's no handy gym, so I do a few weights at the end of the run and the shower is at the top of the stairs. Can get it all in in under an hour, whenever. Still get the same things done around it. Doubt I'd bother with the weights if I had to travel to the gym at Forest Hill.

User avatar
FER
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 am
Location: Hanging Out The Back Of Winona Ryder

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby FER » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am

I do the walking thing pretty much every day. Problem is, my route takes me to the pub! :cheers:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

User avatar
Rambo the randy pig
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am
Location: Makin bacon

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:47 am

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Like cycling and walking, can't abide running.

I was a fan of the seven minutes workout thing but it's really hard to fit into a day. Don't have time of a morning, don't want to delay eating any more when I get home, don't want to exercise after I've eaten.

I'll just have to cope with being a fat cunt, I think.


That's exactly it, innit? We'll do what fits in with what we normally do. Was once a time when cycling to work near Oxford Street [from Camberwell], I'd stow the bike in the office, trot round to the YMCA gym, do some weights while I was still warm and then have a shower before work. Got really fit, for about 18 months until the routine changed because the office moved and there was no gym.
Now I work from home I can go out pretty much whenever it fits into the day. There's no handy gym, so I do a few weights at the end of the run and the shower is at the top of the stairs. Can get it all in in under an hour, whenever. Still get the same things done around it. Doubt I'd bother with the weights if I had to travel to the gym at Forest Hill.


It's injuries do for me when I can't train or can't train to the same intensity. Like now with a dodgy ankle (well dodgier than usual since ankles, knees & hips are knackered anyway) for the last 4 months. Put on a couple of kilos. Thing is when I'm not training at full tilt I tend to eat more shit & drink more beer. Really coz I'm not burning as much off I should cut down but it's the opposite. When I train hard I tend to think about it more & watch my consumption. It's like not wanting to undo the hard work.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Rambo the randy pig wrote:Thing is when I'm not training at full tilt I tend to eat more shit & drink more beer. Really coz I'm not burning as much off I should cut down but it's the opposite. When I train hard I tend to think about it more & watch my consumption. It's like not wanting to undo the hard work.


Hadn't thought about that before but God yeah, ain't that the truth.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Munson and 10 guests