The Dale White Gaming Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

The Dale White Gaming Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:20 pm

This gaming thing's not really my bag but, opting for the slack parenting route, I let the kid get CoD World at War. I'm just curious - World at War is cert 15, but Modern Warfare and Black Ops are cert 18.

Given that killing imaginary victims with imaginary guns all seems much of a muchness from a moral point of view, does anyone know what makes one 18 and t'other 15?

Ontolly

Re: O/T gamers

Postby Ontolly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:04 pm

I don't know but there are teenagers in this house playing those games on a variety of medium. I presume it has something to do with the lyrics of the music that is playing because from what little noticeI have taken it all seems like de-sensitising them to violence at a pretty gross level. Maybe worth re-considering my piss poor laissez faire parenting when they run amok with a potato peeler in 10 years time.
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Modern warfare2 has quite a fucked up level where you are undercover and have to watch a group of Russians massacre maybe a hundred people in an airport. I know it's a game but it made me quite uneasy.

simplyleedsutd

Postby simplyleedsutd » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Im not sure about the two specific examples you gave but sometimes what alters a rating can be quite minor sometimes. For example in the UK version of the original Matrix film about 3 seconds of kicks to the head were cut compared to the US version because that would have made it an 18 rather than a 15. On the gaming front I once saw an interview with one of the creators of the Halo games and he explained how because you can kill your allies (who were humans) in the game it upped the rating more than killing enemies because the enemy characters were aliens. So sometimes its a bit of a fine line, bit of research could go a long way I guess.

Just be more responsible than my girlfriends sister who thought it was ok to let her 5 year old watch Family Guy because its 'just a cartoon'. I love that show but there is no way I would let a 5 year old watch it!

burnleyinexile

Postby burnleyinexile » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Modern warfare2 has quite a fucked up level where you are undercover and have to watch a group of Russians massacre maybe a hundred people in an airport. I know it's a game but it made me quite uneasy.

Me too. Getting up them escalators is a right fucker, slow as you like boys...no rush.

My lad doesn't seem to have any problem with the concept of game V realife...at the moment anyway. Just meets his mates online and away they go.
"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them"

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Just popped my cherry on Pacman :bounce:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Ontolly wrote: it all seems like de-sensitising them to violence at a pretty gross level. Maybe worth re-considering my piss poor laissez faire parenting when they run amok with a potato peeler in 10 years time.

Yeah, I dunno. I guess that if you're the kind of kid / person who can see that killing people is wrong, these games won't make much odds. If you're the kind of kid / person who might be disposed to kill someone, then these games won't make much odds.

So, in summary, er, meh.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm pretty receptive to the idea that this shit reflects values rather than instils them. Creepy games where the objective is to grope unwilling schoolgirls are popular in Japan - the behaviour predates the tech. These games sell because there are a lot of dodgy cunts etc. And the violent western stuff sells because we want to kill each other but don't want to face the attendant bullshit.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Dods

Postby Dods » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:This gaming thing's not really my bag but, opting for the slack parenting route, I let the kid get CoD World at War. I'm just curious - World at War is cert 15, but Modern Warfare and Black Ops are cert 18.

Given that killing imaginary victims with imaginary guns all seems much of a muchness from a moral point of view, does anyone know what makes one 18 and t'other 15?

Having played all those games, it could be that COD:WAW is set in WW2, and COD:MW & COD:BO are set in the present day (MW in an unnamed middle eastern country, probably supposed to be Iraq, and BO in Afghanistan).
The new Medal Of Honour is also an 18 cert, and it is also set in Afghanistan, whereas the previous MoH series were all set in WW2 and were a 15 rating.
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:53 am

I'm a gamer and have been since pong arrived in my local pub a hundred years ago :mrgreen: age ratings are there for a reason but in the end you have to decide for yourself if your kids are mature enough to play the more violent ones.My lad is almost 18 now so he can play owt he wants but when he was around ten i did stop him playing anything rated 18. to answer Erics question,it can be as simple as one game having swearing in it to give it an 18 rather than a 15.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

BC

Postby BC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 pm

The BBFC website should give you all the info you need. Its got a searchable database so you should be able to find any game you want.

Re Black Ops:

It was these stronger, more focussed moments of bloody violence accumulating through the course of the gameplay that went beyond what may be permitted by the BBFC’s Guidelines at ‘15’, which state that ‘Violence may be strong but should not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury’, and which determined the ‘18’ category.

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:This gaming thing's not really my bag but, opting for the slack parenting route, I let the kid get CoD World at War. I'm just curious - World at War is cert 15, but Modern Warfare and Black Ops are cert 18.

I think its to do with the stories... in MW2 you go into an airport and massacre a load of innocent russian holiday makers!

BO is particularly violent lathough the story is based on the Cold War ERA... but cant see much difference between that and WAW game!!!

They are all pretty good... if your bothered about the kids i think you can control the violence on the when you first play them reduced gore etc... my mate lets his 8 year old play NAZI zombies he loves it!
:thumbl: LUFC RULES OK! :thumbl:

BC

Postby BC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:03 pm

alienbumnote wrote:

I think its to do with the stories... in MW2 you go into an airport and massacre a load of innocent russian holiday makers!

Yup

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:25 am

Don't know about COD but fucking FIFA should come with a mental health warning, especially when you play it online. Some people just take it far too seriously....... e.g. Me. :oops:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

burnleyinexile

Postby burnleyinexile » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:18 am

With my background, I was pretty confident I could go online with any of the COD series and more than hold my own.

Fucking got that wrong. Little yank bastards killing me every 10 or 15 seconds.

Cunts.
"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them"

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 am

As an aside, curious thing someone told me - and I don't know whether it's true or not - was that in Germany all issues of CoD have green blood to make it all less blatant. I thought that was quite a good idea - same storylines and action, just less 'human'.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:06 am

burnleyinexile wrote:With my background, I was pretty confident I could go online with any of the COD series and more than hold my own.

Cunts.

If it's any consolation then the kids round here go on ebay and buy specially adapted control pads that send out quicker and an increased number of bullets.

I'm sure that the American children do that too :mrgreen:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

burnleyinexile

Postby burnleyinexile » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:56 am

Ontolly wrote:
burnleyinexile wrote:With my background, I was pretty confident I could go online with any of the COD series and more than hold my own.

Cunts.

If it's any consolation then the kids round here go on ebay and buy specially adapted control pads that send out quicker and an increased number of bullets.

I'm sure that the American children do that too :mrgreen:

Cheers mate, masculine pride somewhat restored. :mrgreen:

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:08 pm

burnleyinexile wrote:With my background

Eh? What the fuck do you mean "With my background"

You have posted some fucking shite on here over the years but that takes the piss.

Did you have the same "With my background" attitude when you came to build my leaning wall of Ossett? "I've done some drywalling, so the real thing will be a piece of piss" :mrgreen:

burnleyinexile

Postby burnleyinexile » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:37 pm

B@stard wrote:
burnleyinexile wrote:With my background

Eh? What the fuck do you mean "With my background"

You have posted some fucking shite on here over the years but that takes the piss.

Did you have the same "With my background" attitude when you came to build my leaning wall of Ossett? "I've done some drywalling, so the real thing will be a piece of piss" :mrgreen:

:oops: :cry: :oops:

Return to “The Square Ball”