quick question re: TVs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: quick question re: TVs

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:20 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:OLED or even just LED will give you those inky blacks you're used to though Dirty. LCD not so much.

What do you mean “LCD not so much?”

OLED and LED TVs are LCD TVs!

Are there any LCD TVs on sale today that don’t use LED or OLED lighting?

Yawn.

Your point is?

Presumably you’re not suggesting OLED and LED TVs aren’t LCD TVs (ie have liquid crystal displays)?

I can’t be sure about the UK but I’ve not seen any LCD TVs on sale over here for quite a while lit by anything other than OLED or LED.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 am

Opened your post to see which way you'd gone, and you're splitting hairs. Read the difference - even where an LCD is backlit by LEDs, the LEDs are behind the LCD so the blacks look the greyer colour of the front LCD layer. LED TVs are lit by the front layer.

You are, as usual, wrong. Now fuck off again back to the Invisible Realm.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 am

Blackwhite wrote:Opened your post to see which way you'd gone...

Does that mean I’m “on ignore” except for when you want “to see which way I’ve gone?”

That’s like someone saying they’re a vegetarian except for when they want to eat fish or poultry.
:lol:

Blackwhite wrote:.....and you're splitting hairs. Read the difference - even where an LCD is backlit by LEDs, the LEDs are behind the LCD so the blacks look the greyer colour of the front LCD layer. LED TVs are lit by the front layer.

You are, as usual, wrong. Now fuck off again back to the Invisible Realm.

I’m not splitting hairs. LED TVs have liquid crystal display panels and therefore are LCD TVs.

And FWIW not all LED TVs are backlit - some are edge lit. Though that matters not to the main point that they are all LCD TVs. And in today’s market (along with OLED) they seem to be the only form of LCD TVs.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:54 am

It is, to be fair to you, shitty regulation on marketing that leads to LED-lit LCDs being sold under the name LED. But that doesn't mean OLED, which IMO should be the only thing you could truly call an LED TV, has an LCD layer. It doesn't.

Now fuck off, yeah? There's a love.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 am

Blackwhite wrote:It is, to be fair to you, shitty regulation on marketing that leads to LED-lit LCDs being sold under the name LED.

Why shouldn’t they be called LED if their lighting comes from light emitting diodes? You seem to be confusing the lighting with the panel. You can have both LED lighting and an LCD panel.

Blackwhite wrote:But that doesn't mean OLED, which IMO should be the only thing you could truly call an LED TV.....

Rubbish. LED TVs with an LCD panel have light emitting diodes and are therefore perfectly entitled to be called LED TVs.

You refer to “marketing” so I checked latest offers in one of our retailers - and guess what they call the TVs “LED LCD” - shall I ring them up and tell them they’re wrong because our resident expert on everything on TSB says LCD TVs are completely different to LED TVs because he presumably thinks they don’t have liquid crystal display panels?.....

09B2B1B3-8F2A-4F04-A31C-562A16BB2290.jpeg

BTW - I see they’re also advertising a Dyson - is that a different thing to a vacuum cleaner?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:15 am

My initial word is like my last: look at the blacks. OLED will be absolutely black. LCD will be greyer, and they're cheaper. This is my point, ignore it if you like

What you fuckwits call anything in your shitty shops and the differences to how they're sold here, I couldn't care less. Laters.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 am

Blackwhite wrote:What you fuckwits call anything in your shitty shops and the differences to how they're sold here, I couldn't care less. Laters.

I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:39 am

I guiltily loved that show. Been nice seeing his acting career develop, he's in the new Chris Morris again I think.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am

Blackwhite wrote:My initial word is like my last: look at the blacks. OLED will be absolutely black. LCD will be greyer, and they're cheaper. This is my point, ignore it if you like

Yet again you lack the grace to admit your ignorance and instead try to obfuscate by pretending your original point was different.

Yes, you were referring to blacks - but you clearly stated LED TVs have superior blacks to LCD TVs when in fact LED TVs are LCD TVs because they have liquid crystal display panels.

Blackwhite wrote:OLED or even just LED will give you those inky blacks you're used to though Dirty. LCD not so much.

You seem to have confused lighting technology (LED) with panel technology (LCD).

It’s no big deal - we all make mistakes - but the way you try to wriggle out of it does say a lot about you.

You like to portray yourself on here as some sort of street wise font of wisdom on life and cool subjects. Such attention seeking and big noting begs a simple question: why don’t you make more effort to meet in person the strangers on here you spend so much time trying to impress? Perhaps another opportunity coming up at Wembley?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 am

Whatever you say, vamps. :cheers:

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:51 am

Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:My initial word is like my last: look at the blacks. OLED will be absolutely black. LCD will be greyer, and they're cheaper. This is my point, ignore it if you like

Yet again you lack the grace to admit your ignorance and instead try to obfuscate by pretending your original point was different.

Yes, you were referring to blacks - but you clearly stated LED TVs have superior blacks to LCD TVs when in fact LED TVs are LCD TVs because they have liquid crystal display panels.

You seem to have confused lighting technology (LED) with panel technology (LCD).

It’s no big deal - we all make mistakes - but the way you try to wriggle out of it does say a lot about you.

You like to portray yourself on here as some sort of street wise font of wisdom on life and cool subjects. Such attention seeking and big noting begs a simple question: why don’t you make more effort to meet in person the strangers on here you spend so much time trying to impress? Perhaps another opportunity coming up at Wembley?

Ding, ding, ding, Round 654...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 am

Munson

Postby Munson » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 am

Bit early innit, etc...

Can we have this for the Wembley CK please ?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 am

Roofe is injured and Dallas will play at left-back.

Come on Leeds!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 pm

I’m sure you’re all hanging on the outcome . . .

Samsung 55” QLED, reduced a bit as it’s end of line. The observations of the Olthwaite jury were:

- Yes, OLED (which Samsung don’t do) is a bit better than QLED, but not noticeable on standard digital TV. Apparently all OLED screens come out of the same factory and just get dicked about with by the various manufacturers.
- Samsung wins on apps, for us.
- Also, Samsung wins on the remote connection box which no one else does. Single 5m lead out the telly then a box with all your connections and power. Where this seems ace is if you wall mount it, there’s no fannying about with trying to plug HDMIs where you can’t poke your hands when you want to change a games console or summat.

I just have to put the twat up now.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I’m sure you’re all hanging on the outcome . . .

Samsung 55” QLED, reduced a bit as it’s end of line. The observations of the Olthwaite jury were:

- Yes, OLED (which Samsung don’t do) is a bit better than QLED, but not noticeable on standard digital TV. Apparently all OLED screens come out of the same factory and just get dicked about with by the various manufacturers.
- Samsung wins on apps, for us.
- Also, Samsung wins on the remote connection box which no one else does. Single 5m lead out the telly then a box with all your connections and power. Where this seems ace is if you wall mount it, there’s no fannying about with trying to plug HDMIs where you can’t poke your hands when you want to change a games console or summat.

I just have to put the twat up now.

We went for the 49” version of that tv, it’s great.

As a man who values design, what do you think of the minimalist remote control?
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Spent about three hours putting the bracket up then downloading and logging into all the apps.

Getting my head round the weird remote was too much for this evening.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 pm

I’m guessing this thread’ll do for this. We’re thinking of jacking in paying £57.50 a month to Virgin and just going down the route of paying for broadband and getting a PVR instead.

Got as far as considering paying £18 a month for Now TV’s 11Mb broadband, which comes with a 6 month NowTV entertainment pass, and a Panasonic 1TB PVR for £219.

Am I gonna miss the extra broadband speed if all I really do is surf the net on my phone, download albums on Spotify and watch stuff on Xhamster when the wife’s out?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 09, 2019 8:50 pm

We had to upgrade our broadband because that kind of speed couldn’t possibly cope with all our kids and us streaming films or gaming at the same time. But if there’s just the two of you it would probably do.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu May 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Yep, just the two of us. The dog hasn’t worked out how to stream stuff yet, apart from on every single lamppost we pass.

Return to “The Square Ball”