quick question re: TVs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ponte

Re: quick question re: TVs

Postby Ponte » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:51 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:

:thumbl:

Funnily enough Tommy sent me that exact thing this morning. I'm fairly sure we don't want owt that big - well I don't, but Mrs O may have other ideas. We're going to go to Currys and 'debate' the size issue tomorrow, and then she'll agree with me. A modest dimension is always preferable, obviously.

I've got a 65" Samsung :lol: To be honest they soon seem 'normal', you get used to it quickly.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 pm

MIne's only 38". But it is a Panasonic plasma and has very black blacks.

Seeing as it's seven years old now and won't last forever, a question for those amongst you who know: are LCD TVs as good picture-wise now as plasmas? [I am aware they don't make plasmas any more.]

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Better, much better.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:04 pm

OLED or even just LED will give you those inky blacks you're used to though Dirty. LCD not so much.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:52 pm

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:54 pm

OWETB wrote:What size TV have you got at the minute eric? I went from a 32" to a 50" and within no time at all I was wondering how I ever coped with a 32" :lol:

40". Been looking at 43" this time.

Tommy

quick question re: TVs

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Funnily enough Tommy sent me that exact thing this morning.

I for one am surprised that a forum full of Yorkshiremen find themselves habitually checking HUKD (don’t get involved if you don’t already know and don’t want to fill your house full of shit you don’t need).

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Not bad but it’s only a portable telly, really.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Tommy wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:
Funnily enough Tommy sent me that exact thing this morning.

I for one am surprised that a forum full of Yorkshiremen find themselves habitually checking HUKD (don’t get involved if you don’t already know and don’t want to fill your house full of shit you don’t need).

Yeah, I got the link to it from my daily email from HUKD
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Ponte wrote:

Not bad but it’s only a portable telly, really.

:mrgreen:

One for the lav.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:44 pm

You’ll be pleased to know that we’re now sat watching Corrie with the full 55” masking-taped out on the wall behind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:47 pm

Because I told an (adopted) Yorkshirewoman about the bargain price.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:58 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:You’ll be pleased to know that we’re now sat watching Corrie with the full 55” masking-taped out on the wall behind.

Picking it up tomorrow then?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:You’ll be pleased to know that we’re now sat watching Corrie with the full 55” masking-taped out on the wall behind.

this happened in our house when we had the extension. i set up a seating area in the breeze blocks and chalked a 50" rectangle on the wall, we sat happily contemplating out future with our new big telly.

we went to the shop and came back with a 55".

(edited joke about the wife wanting extra inches)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:52 pm

Blackwhite wrote:

Picking it up tomorrow then?

:lol:
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:04 am

dirty leeds wrote:MIne's only 38". But it is a Panasonic plasma and has very black blacks.

Seeing as it's seven years old now and won't last forever, a question for those amongst you who know: are LCD TVs as good picture-wise now as plasmas? [I am aware they don't make plasmas any more.]

I’ve never had a plasma TV but I’d be surprised if a decent LCD TV today (whether LED or OLED) isn’t better overall than a 7 year old plasma. You only have to look at all the improvements in TV technology over that time - not just 4K and HDR - but improvements in chips and other components, and lighting.

If you want “very black blacks” then OLED will probably be better for you as individual pixels can switch off achieving minimum brightness of 0.0 nits. I understand their maximum brightness (which helps with contrast) is, however, lower than with LED (which can itself can get down to pretty low minimum brightness in a top quality backlit display).

So, if very black blacks are important to you the order is probably 1 OLED, 2 backlit LED, and 3 edge lit LED. But as with all things there’ll be significant variation in specs and quality across brands and price ranges so it’s definitely worth doing research before you buy. If you don’t subscribe to a consumer body there’s lots of good sites free on the internet - just google something like “best tvs in 2019” and follow links from there to the individual technical reviews on TVs you’re interested in.

The other thing to consider is future proofing - keep an eye out for what’s coming down the track (eg the annual CES). I always pay particular attention to connectivity, ports and protocols (HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, 2.1, HDCP 2.2, etc). A music snob like you will probably have a decent receiver you may want to connect your TV into for surround sound - but if it’s more than five years old it probably won’t have 4K passthrough.

A good question to ask is: what am I going to want to connect to this thing now and in the future and does it have the ports I need/will need and enough of them? That includes old fashioned ports for some of your older existing technology.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:10 am

Blackwhite wrote:OLED or even just LED will give you those inky blacks you're used to though Dirty. LCD not so much.

What do you mean “LCD not so much?”

OLED and LED TVs are LCD TVs!

Are there any LCD TVs on sale today that don’t use LED or OLED lighting?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 am

Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:OLED or even just LED will give you those inky blacks you're used to though Dirty. LCD not so much.

Ding, ding, ding. Round 653....

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:41 am

AndyPaul wrote:
Vampire wrote:

That’s a curious post, AP. I was merely querying his post. Certainly doesn’t compare with the abuse he hurls in my direction from time to time (including hateful abuse directed at my kids). I never see you posting “ding, ding, round whatever” after those - or indeed calling out posts that cross the line (as some of his IMO do). Double standards?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:03 am

AndyPaul wrote:
Vampire wrote:

Yawn.

Return to “The Square Ball”