quick question re: TVs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: quick question re: TVs

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

gazurtoids wrote:Nope. A network cable from the back of your router (there are likely four ports for wired connections on the back) to the port labeled "LAN" on the tele (top left) should be all you need. You shouldn't even need your Shez-related password as it's a wired rather than wireless connection. (It's possible, but unlikely tbh, that you'll need to do a small amount of configuring on the tele itself. Best see the manual for that.)

OK, thanks, I might give that a whirl.

I suppose I don't really understand how these things work but will the modem really be 'plug & play' in that way? If so would that be because I'd set it up once using a compute with a piece of software etc?

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Yep, it should be. Almost all routers already run a piece of software called a dhcp server that gives network address to computers that ask for them. Once connected, your tele will be able to just ask the router for an address and then you're up and running just like that. Sounds unlikely, I know, but in this case, things should "just work".

I am assuming you have a combined router & modem based on it doing the wireless so just check it has the ports for wired connections on the back. If so, you're good to go.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Don't forget, if it doesn't work, turn it off and then on again.

And RTFM.

And if nothing else works, call 0118 999 881 999 119 725....3
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:19 am

Getting a smart TV next week as we're tired of fucking about with a laptop / ipad connected to our current telly.

What we tend to watch is iPlayer / All4 / Netflix / BFI / Curzon. Maybe Youtube.

I guess there are apps for the first three but not sure whether the other two have universal apps? Presumably that means you need to use the TV web browser? Any views on which brands have the best software?

Also, are soundbars in the sub £150 category worth it?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Getting a smart TV next week as we're tired of fucking about with a laptop / ipad connected to our current telly.

What we tend to watch is iPlayer / All4 / Netflix / BFI / Curzon. Maybe Youtube.

I guess there are apps for the first three but not sure whether the other two have universal apps? Presumably that means you need to use the TV web browser? Any views on which brands have the best software?

we've got a sony and they don't have the apps for BFI and curzon available through the google play store. unfortunately you don't get the same range of apps that the play store has for a laptop.

you could probably change the app permissions though and download it via a web page (like you can do with mobdro on your phone)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:50 am

Re: soundbars, bought a Bose one for my old dear a while back for about 200 and she loves it.

She couldn't connect the fucker up, but once that was fixed, :thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 am

Save yourself a shit load of cash and just buy a 4k firestick, they come pre-loaded with loads of apps but you can put any app on and they're only £40 at the minute.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:13 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I guess there are apps for the first three but not sure whether the other two have universal apps? Presumably that means you need to use the TV web browser? Any views on which brands have the best software?

IMHO You are far better off buying a Android TV Box (Nvidia Shield ) or Apple TV. I have the Shield and it's brilliant. Google/Nvidia provide updates for Android TV continually. Most Smart TV's only seem to receive updates for a couple of years before producers end support. I considered getting a new TV with Android TV build in, but I just don't trust producers to keep the OS up-to-date and secure. SO my TV doesn't need to be smart - it works fine as a monitor attached to consoles and the Shield.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:14 pm

OWETB wrote:Save yourself a shit load of cash and just buy a 4k firestick, they come pre-loaded with loads of apps but you can put any app on and they're only £40 at the minute.

Fire-stick works as well if you're into Amazon.

barry white

Postby barry white » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:16 pm

or a Roku 4K Streaming Stick

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Its quite possible that the wind has blown your arial a little out of line.

Borrow a neighbours ladder and point it back in the correct direction, that should get your channels back :thumbl:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks all. Hmm

Roku and Firestick don't seem to have BFI although they do have Curzon and Mubi. Samsung TV has BFI. Is it possible to use a web browser through either of them?

jackos - since pretty much any good TV you can buy is smart now, and since our current TV is probably somewhere over 50% life expired, I'm not convinced about the value of spending £150 - £200 on a box which might become useless once we need a new TV, although I get the point about software redundancy.

You just can't ever buy one thing that does everything you want, can you?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:10 pm

welshwhite wrote:Its quite possible that the wind has blown your arial a little out of line.

Borrow a neighbours ladder and point it back in the correct direction, that should get your channels back :thumbl:

Need to borrow an emu first.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:33 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Its quite possible that the wind has blown your arial a little out of line.

Came here to post exactly this. Damn your nimble work/life balance :mrgreen:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:38 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

:scratch:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 pm

AC/DC, nice.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:05 pm

the flying pig wrote:AC/DC, nice.

The filthy hoo-er.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Eric, don't fuck about over a pink'un, buy this and be done for sound on all future TVs until you want to go 3. or 5.1.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:10 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:jackos - since pretty much any good TV you can buy is smart now, and since our current TV is probably somewhere over 50% life expired, I'm not convinced about the value of spending £150 - £200 on a box which might become useless once we need a new TV, although I get the point about software redundancy.

You just can't ever buy one thing that does everything you want, can you?

A modern TV will do everything most folks want (apart from run Kodi unless you get one that uses Android TV), the Shield is a bit OTT for what most people need, but it does everything you need and more. I have first and second generation Shields, and an old Google Nexus Player the kids use, they've all been upgraded to the latest version of Android TV - so for me they've all been worth the investment. Our TV is 12 years old and hasn't received an update for 10 of those - so there's no chance I'll have it on my network. I do keep wishing my TV would break so I could get a knew one, but it is cheaper, easier and I suppose even better for the environment to replace a small box than a 55 inch TV.

Edit. Streaming LUTV is still a fucking pain. Only thing that works for me it casting a browser from my PC, or Samsung smart view from my mobile.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Getting a smart TV next week as we're tired of fucking about with a laptop / ipad connected to our current telly.

I got a Samsung just before Christmas, has all the apps you’ve mentioned and the picture is incredible.

The Samsung smart tv interface is top notch, most apps you can control from your phone rather than the tv eg choose the video on your phone on Netflix and you tube then just ‘send’ it to the tv in the same way as a chromecast.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Return to “The Square Ball”