quick question re: TVs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: quick question re: TVs

Postby Quiffy » Thu May 09, 2019 9:13 pm

i sacked off the bells and whistles with virgin (bit of a shame with the football this week), but stuck to the broadband for the reasons above, there was no competition round here. after having a minor strop on the phone about not getting new customer discounts i'm down to about £45 a month for broadband and rarely used landline, saving about £35 for the telly we never watched.

now use nowtv for sky sports and normally pay £20 a month.

trouble is the week after i did this talk talk dug up the roads and are now offering ultra fibra optic which is as good as virgin, but i'm tied into a long contract. i'd have a look into talk talk's plans for your street before you make a decision mate.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu May 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Talk Talk could get the assorted cast of Xhamster to come round and suck me off and I wouldn’t go with them again after past experience but ta for the tip [emoji106]

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu May 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Talk Talk are a bunch of cunts. Funnily enough mine got switched over today to Plusnet who I am sure, in time will also prove to be cunts.

I am as far away from the exchange as it is possible to be, when I started with TT I was getting summat like 7mbs, over time this slowly reduced to between 2-4. I raised a complaint with them and in the user terms it stated that the minimum they had to provide was 2mbs, surprise surprise. I then got an email saying that I could upgrade to fibre for £28 a month, but they would have to send an engineer out as my line wasn't suitable - of course I would have to pay for this engineer.

So I did a bit of looking about and did the postcode/ phone number thing with Plusnet - no worries, I could have fibre for the same price I was paying for standard with TT. I put the order in and TT miraculously found that there was fuck all wrong with my line and they would match Plusnet for price where they were wanting an extra £6 a month before I put in the switch order.

Anyway, I'm rocking 30mbs today but was told by Plusnet that it will settle at about 20 over a few weeks which is more than enough for me.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu May 09, 2019 10:48 pm

I pay £17 a month for 50gb virgin with no land-line. Was on a £20 a month deal then it ended and went up to £35. I cancelled as they couldn't do much better. Then they rang me up a few days before was due to leave and offered me 17 a month.

I do this every year and they always ring me.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri May 10, 2019 6:58 am

AndyPaul wrote:I pay £17 a month for 50gb virgin with no land-line. Was on a £20 a month deal then it ended and went up to £35. I cancelled as they couldn't do much better. Then they rang me up a few days before was due to leave and offered me 17 a month.

I do this every year and they always ring me.

I need to try this. I have a reliance on good broad band as I work from home regularly so I'm kind of stuck with Virgin - their customer service is shocking but the infrastructure is generally reliable and I get the speeds they promise. Unfortunately I pay something stupid for the privilege - over £50 a month for phone, broadband and, since they said it was "free" a high number of years ago, the basic TV package in a room we barely watch TV in. I'm also paying sky for TV and that's creeping up but I'm happy to threaten to leave them every so often.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 10, 2019 11:10 am

We’re paying £25 to Vodafone without a landline, for up to 60Mbps down (I think) Every time I’ve checked we’ve been getting at least 45+. Vodafone might be a set of pricks but it’s only been a month or two so I don’t really know yet.

London_White

Postby London_White » Fri May 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Been with Vodafone for best part of a year now
Had no problem with them, £40 gets me mobile, land-line and 40mb broadband

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Fri May 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Don't get me started on sound, of advise an amp with proper speakers but then you're in the £800+ bracket (£400 amp, £150 subwoofer, £50 per speaker). Worth it IMO but appreciate its not going to suit everyone.

at the risk of getting you started, we got the sonos sound bar and two sonos1's for just over £800 and they're spot on.

by the way, did anyone press the bbc red button to get the fa cup semi final in ultra hd? it was fantastic, especially if you sat about 20cm from the screen.

(i am increasingly short sighted but the sentiment is true)

Thanks for the heads up.

Just done surround with a Sonos Beam and two Sonos ones and it’s absolutely brilliant. First time I’ve ever bothered with separate speakers for a tv and I can’t believe the difference!
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Wakefield White wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

Just done surround with a Sonos Beam and two Sonos ones and it’s absolutely brilliant. First time I’ve ever bothered with separate speakers for a tv and I can’t believe the difference!

:cheers: quite a good feeling to be agreed with.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri May 10, 2019 8:27 pm

I also just got a couple of the new Second Gen Sonos Ones and they sound very clean indeed. The clarity even at high volumes is remarkable. For such small units they certainly packed a lot in there. I feel somewhat bad for further embracing the digital world but it’s so convenient!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 16, 2019 3:57 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:We’re paying £25 to Vodafone without a landline, for up to 60Mbps down (I think) Every time I’ve checked we’ve been getting at least 45+. Vodafone might be a set of pricks but it’s only been a month or two so I don’t really know yet.

Yeah, so, update:

Apparently they've just done a major systems upgrade, our broadband has gone to shit as have three phones in the household. Mrs O called them and went apeshit as she's trying to work from home. They offered 50Gb free data on her phone to use for tethering but a) the phone signal's shit and b) it's fuck all use for telly later on. They've said it may not be back to 100% for a week.

Twats.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu May 16, 2019 5:53 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:We’re paying £25 to Vodafone without a landline, for up to 60Mbps down (I think) Every time I’ve checked we’ve been getting at least 45+. Vodafone might be a set of pricks but it’s only been a month or two so I don’t really know yet.

Yeah, so, update:

Apparently they've just done a major systems upgrade, our broadband has gone to shit as have three phones in the household. Mrs O called them and went apeshit as she's trying to work from home. They offered 50Gb free data on her phone to use for tethering but a) the phone signal's shit and b) it's fuck all use for telly later on. They've said it may not be back to 100% for a week.

Twats.

I think there definition of an upgrade is different to most people's by the sound of it

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 pm

My company pay over 20k pa per seat license for a software package that is broken by every single "upgrade". It's got to the point where we skip a few so we can crack on.

I feel your pain.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Blackwhite wrote:My company pay over 20k pa per seat license for a software package

Kinell. I thought my industry was bad but I don’t think we pay more than £6k pa per seat for owt.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Tis very good, and it's almost unique, and created by enthusiasts who want to fold in the latest cool shit, but fuck me it makes yer eyes water.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sat May 18, 2019 3:59 pm

For those that are interested the Beeb are streaming the cup final in uhd. Looks very impressive.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Leeds0269

Postby Leeds0269 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 pm

OWETB wrote:Talk Talk are a bunch of cunts. Funnily enough mine got switched over today to Plusnet who I am sure, in time will also prove to be cunts.

I am as far away from the exchange as it is possible to be, when I started with TT I was getting summat like 7mbs, over time this slowly reduced to between 2-4. I raised a complaint with them and in the user terms it stated that the minimum they had to provide was 2mbs, surprise surprise. I then got an email saying that I could upgrade to fibre for £28 a month, but they would have to send an engineer out as my line wasn't suitable - of course I would have to pay for this engineer.

So I did a bit of looking about and did the postcode/ phone number thing with Plusnet - no worries, I could have fibre for the same price I was paying for standard with TT. I put the order in and TT miraculously found that there was fuck all wrong with my line and they would match Plusnet for price where they were wanting an extra £6 a month before I put in the switch order.

Anyway, I'm rocking 30mbs today but was told by Plusnet that it will settle at about 20 over a few weeks which is more than enough for me.

Been with plusnet for 15 years. They've been mint.
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 pm

Leeds0269 wrote:
Been with plusnet for 15 years. They've been mint.

Good to hear, just done a speed test and it has settled at 29mbs. 6 is enough for me with only streaming IPTV, no gaming and only browsing - TT throttled with the hope that I upgraded, knob heads - I would still be with them if I was getting a constant 6.

Return to “The Square Ball”