quick question re: TVs

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

quick question re: TVs

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:50 am

Eh up.

I want a new TV. Nowt flashy - I barely know or care what 'HD' is [will never get satellite or cable], don't have 'blu ray', don't particularly watch very much of anything for huge amts of time.

but my old set does need replacing. it's over 10 yrs old, wasn't a nice one even when i bought it, so looks a bit dated, it lacks HDMI sockets that i'd occasionally use to watch iplayer or summat thru my laptop, perhaps most importantly the sound's gone a bit duff - i can sometimes barely hear what's said during bits of dialogue during films etc.

i want a fairly basic replacement.

my question then - does anyone reckon that either of the two following a notably better option than the other?

thanks

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/sony/bravia-kdl32ex403/sony-kdl32ex403

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5297337.htm

FarmersBoy

Re: quick question re: TVs

Postby FarmersBoy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Personally I would go for the Sony Bravia. If your not into Hd which by the way is Fantastic IMHO then this set will be OK. If you want to get a HD freeview box you can get them with all the actions of a Sky+ box like watching a programme while recording another, live pause, and all that for just the price of the box and the set up's farly straight forward. I have HD on a 42"Plasma through cinema surround sound and I wouldn't be without it the Picture quality is phenomenal especially Nature Documentaries and the Football ain't half bad as well. Hope this helps
PONTE & B@STARD ARE LIKE SLINKY'S, NOT MUCH GOOD TO ANYONE, BUT MAKE YOU SMILE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN THE STAIRS

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Cursory look suggests the Richer set is better than the Argos one. Farmers is right about boxes, even my old ma would work one so you've no excuse TFP. But note the Richer set seems to have a built in HD+ receiver; you'll want to check that out for record-while-watching etc. - if it does all a box would then it's a good addition.

I didn't find any response times for the Argos set, but there may be a bit of lag on the Richer set and others at this point. That may show for gaming, football etc. No substitute for going down to the store and having a look, another mark up for Richer. Remember to buy nothing else from them, no cables or anything, or you may as well send me all you money and let me be the one to rape your bank account.

Or you could try and get an ex-demo 5.1 sound system bundled in... receptive to shelf-clearing deals as they are.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Ken's your expert for goggleboxes.

'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:21 pm

moscowhite wrote:Ken's your expert for goggleboxes.

That's the second time I've been jealous of that TV. Picture-outside-picture technology FTW!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:30 pm

I was gonna suggest a visit to The New Penny until I read the thread.

The Gentleman Thug

Postby The Gentleman Thug » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm in exactly the same situation, tfp, and have just bought the Bravia 403 for £299 from John Lewis, which came with a free 5 year warranty. An absolutely stonking deal. My only concern is I'll never watch the thing.

Richer Sounds are pretty notorious for offering great deals on tvs which were never actually in stock. I'd avoid the one from Argos - there's no point updating with an old model. AV Forums is good if you're nerdy enough (you are) and hotukdeals is ace for finding bargains.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:07 pm

The Gentleman Thug wrote:...Richer Sounds are pretty notorious for offering great deals on tvs which were never actually in stock...

interesting, i checked a cuople of RS branches for availability, did detect a faint whiff of a 'bait & switch' type scam.

The Gentleman Thug wrote:I... have just bought the Bravia 403 for £299 from John Lewis, which came with a free 5 year warranty....

don't suppose you have a link to that? what size was it?

The Gentleman Thug

Postby The Gentleman Thug » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:24 pm

the flying pig wrote:
The Gentleman Thug wrote:...Richer Sounds are pretty notorious for offering great deals on tvs which were never actually in stock...

interesting, i checked a cuople of RS branches for availability, did detect a faint whiff of a 'bait & switch' type scam.

The Gentleman Thug wrote:I... have just bought the Bravia 403 for £299 from John Lewis, which came with a free 5 year warranty....

don't suppose you have a link to that? what size was it?

32", but it is now £349 on JL's website (and also out of stock). It's still available on some sites for £299, but probably without the extended warranty.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:57 pm

The wife just bought me a 40" LED 3D Samsung set for Xmas. Internet enabled (iPlayer/Love Film built in etc) and with Freeview HD .... Quite nice £929 from RGB direct and they threw in a 3d Bluray player, 2 extra pairs of 3D glasses and the 3d Shrek collection.

COD is fucking mental in 3D!!

Probably not what you're looking for....
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:

I got a new telly from Richer in May, it's the dog's bollocks, can't speak highly enough of em. But you really should go in the branch to have a ganders, the website stuff is nowhere near as good.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Jovo Simanic

Postby Jovo Simanic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:14 am

I can recommend buying an old Bang Olufsen Avant CRT tv off ebay. I got one for £150. Picture's good - they were the best of their day but the tube is old. Sound's really good though and, although it is huge weighing 68kg, you can rotate it to face you with the remote which is endlessy pleasing.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 am

One thing I have really noticed with the LED set over previous LCD ones is how much better SD channels look. Never had issues with Plasmas before, but LCDs don't seem to cope so well.

Have you got a Digital aerial yet?
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:28 pm

A quick follow up question.

I bought the Richer Sounds one. It says that "Internet TV is now a readily available reality and the KDL32ex403 features a Wireless Ready LAN for easy Wi-Fi connection to your home network system - just add a wireless adaptor or USB dongle".

Does any tech-savvy person know what the hell a USB dongle [or indeed wireless adaptor] is, how much it'd cost, etc, how I'd go about knowing whether I'd bought the right thing, etc?

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 pm

This kind of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Internet-Adaptor-150Mbps-Windows/dp/B003BKBGF4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294320616&sr=1-2

Anything that says wifi adaptor on the packet and looks like a USB stick should do the job, basically. Shouldn't cost you anymore than about £20 I don't think.

I don't know how bandwidth-intensive internet tv streaming is but I can watch iPlayer etc with 54 Mbps connection (aka 802.11g or wifi-g). That one does 150 Mbps (which is 802.11n, wifi-n, etc) so it should be reasonably future-proof.

--edit--

Obviously, internet via the wireless connection can't go any faster than your actual broadband connection but the above both should saturate all consumer-level broadband.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:45 pm

gazurtoids wrote:This kind of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Internet-Adaptor-150Mbps-Windows/dp/B003BKBGF4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294320616&sr=1-2

Anything that says wifi adaptor on the packet and looks like a USB stick should do the job, basically. Shouldn't cost you anymore than about £20 I don't think.

I don't know how bandwidth-intensive internet tv streaming is but I can watch iPlayer etc with 54 Mbps connection (aka 802.11g or wifi-g). That one does 150 Mbps (which is 802.11n, wifi-n, etc) so it should be reasonably future-proof.

--edit--

Obviously, internet via the wireless connection can't go any faster than your actual broadband connection but the above both should saturate all consumer-level broadband.

OK cheers...

I think I'd read somewhere that Sony make you use one of theirs? e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UWABR100-Bringing-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0036XX4G0/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Could I just use a cable?

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:56 pm

the flying pig wrote:OK cheers...

I think I'd read somewhere that Sony make you use one of theirs? e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UWABR100-Bringing-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0036XX4G0/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Hmmm. Dunno about that. It is quite a Sony-ish thing to do though.

Yep, certainly looks like it:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

gazurtoids wrote:...

Yep, certainly looks like it:

I, er, well, I use a wireless modem made by a company called Belkin that I set up years ago on an old desktop computer that I've since thrown away... when I've used laptops in the house since then I've just, er, connected to it by remembering a password [easy to remember since it's Shez-related]... would I just, er stick a long cable between the back of the tele and the back of the modem? would i need any, uh, software or anything?

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Nope. A network cable from the back of your router (there are likely four ports for wired connections on the back) to the port labeled "LAN" on the tele (top left) should be all you need. You shouldn't even need your Shez-related password as it's a wired rather than wireless connection. (It's possible, but unlikely tbh, that you'll need to do a small amount of configuring on the tele itself. Best see the manual for that.)

Return to “The Square Ball”