Football Finances

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
SimonB

Re: Football Finances

Postby SimonB » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Ponte wrote:Who do they owe the majority to? I think it's to the owner, whereas ours was to different financial institutions that we borrowed from.

TREVOR Birch has confirmed that Wanderers owner Eddie Davies WILL write off £185million of loans when he agrees to sell the club - leaving new owners with a blank canvas.

The recently-installed financial advisor has responded to some key questions this afternoon in the ongoing takeover – underlining that new ownership would buy all Burnden Leisure’s assets and begin life at the Macron Stadium debt free, other than a small loan on the hotel.

You are right it would seem, this was in the Bolton news
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:27 pm

So effectively he's 'selling' the club for debt minus value which must be what: -£150m?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:34 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:So effectively he's 'selling' the club for debt minus value which must be what: -£150m?

Aye, presumably that's allowing him to make a proper judgement on the next owners before the deal goes through - he's going to be pissed off if the new owner does a GFH and extracts millions in profit through inflated "management fees" and the like leaving the club in the shit once again very quickly. He presumably wants enough out of the deal to make sure he's got his own finances covered and family well provided for after he's gone as well as to warn off the various chancers likely to be in it for the asset stripping. I imagine for similar reasons he'll be pushing for conditions over the circumstances and timing at which he'll write off that debt?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Often sellers will have an anti embarassment clause in the sale agreement. This could give him some of any money made from a quick sale and / or a share of any profit made by a new owner.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Newcastle: destined for relegation and spunk £24m (way over the odds IMO) on Shelvey and Townsend.

Setting aside the breathtaking stupidity, how can they even get away with it?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:15 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Newcastle: destined for relegation and spunk £24m (way over the odds IMO) on Shelvey and Townsend.

2 points behind Norwich, far from down as yet. If they stay up, they'll be £100m better off = great odds if the cost is £24m. I think there should be some kind of mandatory wage changes built into player contracts in the event of relegation etc, the sort of thing which may put players like that off a move but that's a different matter. Should imagine they could move both players on to lower end premier league sides in the summer for not too heavy a loss if they do go down.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Newcastle: destined for relegation and spunk £24m (way over the odds IMO) on Shelvey and Townsend.

2 points behind Norwich, far from down as yet. If they stay up, they'll be £100m better off = great odds if the cost is £24m. I think there should be some kind of mandatory wage changes built into player contracts in the event of relegation etc, the sort of thing which may put players like that off a move but that's a different matter. Should imagine they could move both players on to lower end premier league sides in the summer for not too heavy a loss if they do go down.

I dunno, it's an outlay / risk / return thing. Paying too much for English players in these circumstances seems daft to me.

topbin

Football Finances

Postby topbin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm

I can see Townsend as a truly awful signing (no end product, loses possession constantly, no use against a team sitting deep).

Shelves though is genuinely top-6 class, just every other game he's shite. When you're at Newcastle that's all they need, really, a chance in half their games.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:12 pm

topbin wrote:Shelves

:?

topbin

Football Finances

Postby topbin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:17 pm

gazurtoids wrote:

Ugh. DYAC.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:28 pm

topbin wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:

Ugh. DYAC.

Stacks up.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:34 pm

topbin wrote:I can see Townsend as a truly awful signing (no end product, loses possession constantly, no use against a team sitting deep).

I fucking hate watching Townsend play. Even more so when he first got in the England team to a seemingly universal wankfest.
He's just total shit. Two strengths: crossing and running quickly in a straight line. Can't dribble, can't shoot, can't pass. No football brain whatsoever. He's just so English.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:
topbin wrote:I can see Townsend as a truly awful signing (no end product, loses possession constantly, no use against a team sitting deep).

I fucking hate watching Townsend play. Even more so when he first got in the England team to a seemingly universal wankfest.
He's just total shit. Two strengths: crossing and running quickly in a straight line. Can't dribble, can't shoot, can't pass. No football brain whatsoever. He's just so English.

He has a wonderful forehead.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Munson

Postby Munson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:41 am

gazurtoids wrote:

Top drawer.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:49 am

the flying pig wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/03/sports-direct-abandons-legal-case-against-rangers

What a fucking unholy mess that is. I can't even begin to get my head around it.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:57 am

Shirley the reason you buy English in January is to get players in who give the side character and the old never say die, run through the proverbial brick wall for the club spirit. Players who won't go missing in the toughest moments

Can you honestly think of 2 players who fit that description less than JonJo "shelves" and Andros 'forgot me boots" Forehead.

The funny thing was they failed in a bid on deadline for Saido Bigheadhenio, the only player with a potentially worse attitude!!

If they'd had those three you can imagine sky sports end of season headlines....

Newcastle relegated amongst rumours of infighting and unrest amongst the squad. Unbelievably the North EAst club didn't win another point after the 4th of February when Townsend and Shelves maimed each other in a brawl over the club mirror. Coincidentally Saido Berehenio chose this day to begin the strike that has now lasted 120 days in a dispute said to involve perceived Bantz with the other squad members.

God bless you Newcastle!

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:12 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:God bless you Newcastle!

Can you imagine those signings happening at any other club? Even the attempt at signing Berahino, it was just so Newcastle.

Tommy

Football Finances

Postby Tommy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

They'll survive again though.

Return to “The Square Ball”