Best Ever Leeds XI: New variant?

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
gazurtoids

Re: Best Ever Leeds XI: New variant?

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:30 am

ARDS wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:
ARDS wrote:Bobby Collins and Johnny Giles have played together Gaz.

Not for Leeds? In fact, not all in the same side as far as I can see.

I do have a couple of potential team-breakers listed in the edited version, but not that one.

Bobby Collins 1962-1967
Johnny Giles 1963-1975

Eh, you're quite right. It's a bit concerning that I missed it even when double-checking...

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Bobby Collins 1962-1967
Johnny Giles 1963-1975
Eh, you're quite right. It's a bit concerning that I missed it even when double-checking...

There's only one man they say was infallible and they crucified him mate. :wink:
Forza Leeds Utd

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Clearly the best strategy is to pick those who burned brightly but briefly in Leeds colours: Yeboah, Hasselbaink, Milner, Delph etc. Stalwarts like your Martyns and Radebes are pretty much penalised for their longevity, something they wouldn't achieved but for being amongst the best the club has ever seen.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 pm

ARDS wrote:There's only one man they say was infallible and they crucified him mate. :wink:

if nothing else - if i remember that line today then i've done something useful. i'm not quite the master of disaster in my job, but i don't rely on my aura of professionalism. :D
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Higgs
Vinnie Jones
Cooper
Charles
Ferdinand
Derry
Snodin
McAllister
Barnes
Currie
Mckenzie
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:36 am

Did Robbo and Ferdinand ever play together? I assume they probably did but as Robbo made most of his appearances in the CL which ferdinand was inelligeable for and didn't become 1st choice until just after we'd sold Rio, its possible I guess.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Did Robbo and Ferdinand ever play together? I assume they probably did but as Robbo made most of his appearances in the CL which ferdinand was inelligeable for and didn't become 1st choice until just after we'd sold Rio, its possible I guess.

Was Rio inelligeable?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 am

Ponte wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Did Robbo and Ferdinand ever play together? I assume they probably did but as Robbo made most of his appearances in the CL which ferdinand was inelligeable for and didn't become 1st choice until just after we'd sold Rio, its possible I guess.

Was Rio inelligeable?

He was for the last couple of games of the first group stage, but he certainly played in the new year cos he scored against Deportivo.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 am

MightyWhite wrote:
Ponte wrote:

Was Rio inelligeable?

He was for the last couple of games of the first group stage, but he certainly played in the new year cos he scored against Deportivo.

Thanks, I thought I was going mad.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:58 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
Ponte wrote:

Was Rio inelligeable?

Good point! It was keane who couldn't play in the CL 2nd half of that season wasn't it? Knew Rio couldn't play after he signed, but forgot about the chance to alter the euro squad at the half way point. Either way, wasn't Robbo back on the bench by the 2nd half of the CL season, home game against Lazio apart when both sides played a reserve side.

I suspect they must have played a league game together, but if not I'd argue that Robbo has to replace Higgs in TFP's line up.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I'd argue that Robbo has to replace Higgs in TFP's line up

Really? We've not seen much of Higgs in a Leeds shirt, granted, but Robinson shouldn't get anywhere near troubling a "best of" XI.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:...Good point! It was keane who couldn't play in the CL 2nd half of that season wasn't it? Knew Rio couldn't play after he signed, but forgot about the chance to alter the euro squad at the half way point. Either way, wasn't Robbo back on the bench by the 2nd half of the CL season, home game against Lazio apart when both sides played a reserve side.

I suspect they must have played a league game together, but if not I'd argue that Robbo has to replace Higgs in TFP's line up.

robbo also played a fair number of games with james milner.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Ponte wrote:

Was Rio inelligeable?

I see the confusion here: Rio was in fact unintelligible. He kept yelling at Radebe that he was getting "merked" and Lucas didn't know what the fuck the foreign (from London, I believe) cunt was on about.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 pm

gazurtoids wrote:

Really? We've not seen much of Higgs in a Leeds shirt, granted, but Robinson shouldn't get anywhere near troubling a "best of" XI.

Yeesh. I mean, fair enough, this whole 'best of' mullarkey across the generations is always going to be a bit bullshit, but to accept a third division keeper with a pretty dodgy record who's had a good six weeks at Leeds, whilst dismissing a Premier League / England keeper (albeit not the best one) who also played in the Champion's League is a bit, well, bollocks, surely?
HM Collector Of Parcels

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:14 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:

Yeesh. I mean, fair enough, this whole 'best of' mullarkey across the generations is always going to be a bit bullshit, but to accept a third division keeper with a pretty dodgy record who's had a good six weeks at Leeds, whilst dismissing a Premier League / England keeper (albeit not the best one) who also played in the Champion's League is a bit, well, bollocks, surely?

oh, yeah, i mean, robbo had his faults but... he quite possibly was the worst england first choice keeper ever [@ wc 2006], but he was still an england keeper, putting him on an entirely different plane to higgs.

no, as gazurtoids said, the problem with many of our keepers other than higgs is that, of the genuinely good ones, there are very few fly-by-nights, they have tended to stick around for a fair bit of time, so martyn, robbo, lukic, harvey, sprake, even merv the swerv day, any of them would screw up loads of other selections... basically putting in any one of those six would, i reckoned, force one to introduce at least two fairly shit and short-term players in an outfield position... so on balance i thought it was ok to stick higgs in there.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:00 pm

the flying pig wrote:oh, yeah, i mean, robbo had his faults but... he quite possibly was the worst england first choice keeper ever [@ wc 2006], but he was still an england keeper, putting him on an entirely different plane to higgs.

You talking about his form at the time of that World Cup, or his general ability?

I know his stock has fallen over recent years, but I still rate him as a very good goalkeeper - especially now he seems to have shifted some timber.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Quiffy wrote:
ARDS wrote:There's only one man they say was infallible and they crucified him mate. :wink:

if nothing else - if i remember that line today then i've done something useful. i'm not quite the master of disaster in my job, but i don't rely on my aura of professionalism. :D

My pleasure to help mate. :mrgreen:
Forza Leeds Utd

MG[SPAMBOT]

Postby MG[SPAMBOT] » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Gaz's best yet.

4-4-2 classic revie era numbers

1. Carson
2. Arins
3. Faulkner
4. Ford
5. Davey
6. Assoumani
7. De Mange
8. Balcombe
9. Elding
10. McGhee
11. Boyle
No supporters owned club has ever got into the top two English divisions, something to bare in mind when LUST try and persuade you they know their arse from their elbow.

Perseus

Postby Perseus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 pm

gazurtoids wrote:Clearly the best strategy is to pick those who burned brightly but briefly in Leeds colours: Yeboah, Hasselbaink, Milner, Delph etc. Stalwarts like your Martyns and Radebes are pretty much penalised for their longevity, something they wouldn't achieved but for being amongst the best the club has ever seen.

Or maybe throw in likes of internationals such as O'leary and Steve Stone who must of played with next to nobody.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:56 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:

Roque Junior's a World Cup & Champions League winner.

-- edit --

Sorry, that's a rather pithy one liner. What I mean to say is that the level that Robinson played at isn't nearly as important as how he played. He was (and is) a very average keeper whose reputation amongst Leeds fans has been largely built on that one game vs Barcelona. I mean, most keepers get harder to beat the further away you shoot from, not easier...

Did Mickey Gray play with Neil Sullivan? If not, Sullivan is a reasonable contender to replace Higgs in tfp's team.

Return to “The Square Ball”