Page 1 of 168

Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:15 pm
by eric olthwaite
I just thought, as distinct from the mucky thread, it would be good to have a spot for entirely harmless random links, comical or otherwise.

These pics, for example, are insane. The whole site's pretty good.

Quite like this too, for no particular reason.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:59 pm
by Blackwhite
:D You're just asking for it now Eric :lol:

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:49 pm
by OWETB
Blackwhite wrote::D You're just asking for it now Eric :lol:


Not really, I think its a brilliant idea for a thread. We can all now happily share how sad we actually are.

I'm not all beheadings and stuff so I will be contributing to this thread with some interesting links. I liked the Russian bunker, that is well fucking interesting.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 pm
by Ponte
Good site Eric, I like this article.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:50 pm
by Disco Dan
I can recommend a brilliant site, full of curiosities like the stuff above. I've wasted many a good hour on it. And no, Danny, it's not a site about young, dusky footballers.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com

A personal favourite from the site:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02 ... eries.html

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 pm
by Krumpli
According to Pittsburgh Pirates' Dock Ellis, when he threw a no-hitter in 1970 he was "as high as a Georgia pine" on LSD:

http://www.nomas-nyc.com/content/11-lsdnono

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:31 pm
by Proud to be Leeds
Want to know where your favourite hip hop track has been sampled?

Why not have a look here or here

I've lost hours looking and downloading.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 am
by Dale White
This site is always good for a chuckle. http://www.engrish.com/

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:43 am
by eric olthwaite
Proud to be Leeds wrote:Want to know where your favourite hip hop track has been sampled?

Why not have a look here or here

I've lost hours looking and downloading.


On musical ones, this is good for a laugh:

Truck Driver's Gear Change

Site hasn't been updated for aeons, mind. A truck driver's gear change is a completely pointless key change in a song when it is clear that the songwriter has run out of ideas and is playing for time. The classic example is going up a major fifth on a chorus repeat-to-fade. Think Michael Jackson / Barry Manilow.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 am
by thechubbyone
Disco Dan wrote:A personal favourite from the site:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02 ... eries.html

Daaaaaaaaaaaan! Stop fishing for more South America stories! I did a bike ride down that road in Bolivia.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 am
by Disco Dan
thechubbyone wrote:
Disco Dan wrote:A personal favourite from the site:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02 ... eries.html

Daaaaaaaaaaaan! Stop fishing for more South America stories! I did a bike ride down that road in Bolivia.


You've been to South America? You kept that one quiet.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 am
by the flying pig
Disco Dan wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:
Disco Dan wrote:A personal favourite from the site:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02 ... eries.html

Daaaaaaaaaaaan! Stop fishing for more South America stories! I did a bike ride down that road in Bolivia.


You've been to South America? You kept that one quiet.


'fraid so.

might there be a case for setting up a dedicated 'chubby's south american adventures' subforum, i think we're all getting sick of his tedious stories cluttering up the main forum?

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 am
by Disco Dan
the flying pig wrote:might there be a case for setting up a dedicated 'chubby's south american adventures' subforum, i think we're all getting sick of his tedious stories cluttering up the main forum?


I was actually giving thought to buying a new domain name for the site - chubbydidsouthamericatribute.com or similar - and moving the whole thing lock, stock.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 am
by SimonB
Disco Dan wrote:
the flying pig wrote:might there be a case for setting up a dedicated 'chubby's south american adventures' subforum, i think we're all getting sick of his tedious stories cluttering up the main forum?


I was actually giving thought to buying a new domain name for the site - chubbydidsouthamericatribute.com or similar - and moving the whole thing lock, stock.

Has Chubby been to South America then?

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 am
by thechubbyone
Don't blame me, dan was asking for it. Sometimes he calls me at 4 in the morning asking for the finer details of public transport in Ecuador.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am
by the flying pig
SimonB wrote:
Disco Dan wrote:
the flying pig wrote:might there be a case for setting up a dedicated 'chubby's south american adventures' subforum, i think we're all getting sick of his tedious stories cluttering up the main forum?


I was actually giving thought to buying a new domain name for the site - chubbydidsouthamericatribute.com or similar - and moving the whole thing lock, stock.

Has Chubby been to South America then?


i'm not 100% sure but i wondered if he might when i recently saw a documentary about a very remote village in the amazon basin that looked to have been recently rebuilt in a crude likeness of wakefield's civic quarter. my suspicions were heightened when i noticed that the villagers appeared to be worshipping a statue that seemed to bear more of a resemblence to kevin sharp than could possibly be a coincidence.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:50 am
by Charlie Don't Surf
eric olthwaite wrote:I just thought, as distinct from the mucky thread, it would be good to have a spot for entirely harmless random links, comical or otherwise.

These pics, for example, are insane. The whole site's pretty good.

Quite like this too, for no particular reason.



stayed in that hotel in Moscow ( yes I'VE been to Russia ) mad place, huge reception area with stairs either side, on every other floor on each side there was a vodka bar, and on every floor in the middle of the hotel a woman sat behind a desk presumably there to carry you to your room.

Had two serious fires apparently in its lifetime probably started by the sparks whenever you touched something metal.

Down in the reception bar Tuborg was £5 a pint!! One night we thought fuck it and had a pint, one of the most entertaining £5 pounds ever spent. Hookers were coming in sitting down snorting coke out of the palm of their hands, blokes were wandering in talking to the barman offering furs and huge blokes with long leather jackets were loitering around, one of them with a massive scar on his face, looked like a bullet hole, with half his face paralysed.

One of the girls in our group saw a couple shagging in the next door cubicle reflected in the polished steel ceiling.

6ft windows on the upper floors that opened fully with nothing to stop you falling out. Fantastic place.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 am
by the flying pig
Charlie Don't Surf wrote:...I'VE been to Russia...


ooh.

i think that [one day] we shuold all fill out one of those maps that shows how many countries you've been to.

i just tried to tot mine up and got 37 excluding vatican city. not extraordinary but surely well above average?

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am
by Charlie Don't Surf
the flying pig wrote:
Charlie Don't Surf wrote:...I'VE been to Russia...


ooh.

i think that [one day] we shuold all fill out one of those maps that shows how many countries you've been to.

i just tried to tot mine up and got 37 excluding vatican city. not extraordinary but surely well above average?

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:09 am
by Charlie Don't Surf
the flying pig wrote:
Charlie Don't Surf wrote:...I'VE been to Russia...


ooh.

i think that [one day] we shuold all fill out one of those maps that shows how many countries you've been to.

i just tried to tot mine up and got 37 excluding vatican city. not extraordinary but surely well above average?



Do Scotland Ireland and Wales count?