Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Vampire » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 pm

dirty leeds wrote:And, as others have said, saying that you think anything because of your belief in some imaginary super-friend called God is such a cop-out. There's no proof of any god; there's no proof that Israel's religion is 'the one'. He's just appealing to the supernatural to justify his beliefs.


From what I know of Folau I don’t think that’s the case.

I’m sure there are folks who are homophobic and use religion to justify it. But there are also folks who are deeply religious and genuinely believe their religious teachings consider homosexuality to be a sin. I think Folau falls into the latter category - albeit it’s impossible to know for sure what’s in someone else’s head.

This is the menace of organised religion. But for me, as much as I disagree with parts of Folau’s religion and his views on homosexuality I still support his right to express those views and don’t see why he should be denied his trade as a result. For mine, free speech is fundamental.

dirty leeds wrote:
I wouldn't choose to work with someone who uses his celebrity to shout loudly that he's homophobic....
I don't want to work with stupid, bigoted cunts, however talented they are at their chosen profession. The world has enough utter cunts in it without my selecting them for work colleagues.


Good for you DL but I seem to recall you recently commenting that your mag interviews homophobic reggae or rap artists? You haven’t walked off the job there? Perhaps you feel music “artists” are more entitled to free expression than rugby players?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm

Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:And, as others have said, saying that you think anything because of your belief in some imaginary super-friend called God is such a cop-out. There's no proof of any god; there's no proof that Israel's religion is 'the one'. He's just appealing to the supernatural to justify his beliefs.


From what I know of Folau I don’t think that’s the case.

I’m sure there are folks who are homophobic and use religion to justify it. But there are also folks who are deeply religious and genuinely believe their religious teachings consider homosexuality to be a sin. I think Folau falls into the latter category - albeit it’s impossible to know for sure what’s in someone else’s head.

This is the menace of organised religion. But for me, as much as I disagree with parts of Folau’s religion and his views on homosexuality I still support his right to express those views and don’t see why he should be denied his trade as a result. For mine, free speech is fundamental.

dirty leeds wrote:
I wouldn't choose to work with someone who uses his celebrity to shout loudly that he's homophobic....
I don't want to work with stupid, bigoted cunts, however talented they are at their chosen profession. The world has enough utter cunts in it without my selecting them for work colleagues.


Good for you DL but I seem to recall you recently commenting that your mag interviews homophobic reggae or rap artists? You haven’t walked off the job there? Perhaps you feel music “artists” are more entitled to free expression than rugby players?


No, we chose to challenge them on it in the interviews. [I see you conveniently forgot that part.] I think pretty much all of them have backed off on the subject. It mostly concerned Jamaican reggae/dancehall artists but the hip-hop star Common actually apologised to our journalist for his lyrics and said he's been "a punk" for what he said.

I don't give a shit how "sincerely" he believes whatever old bollocks he believes about religion, he can fuck off. Religion is bullshit.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Vampire » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:And, as others have said, saying that you think anything because of your belief in some imaginary super-friend called God is such a cop-out. There's no proof of any god; there's no proof that Israel's religion is 'the one'. He's just appealing to the supernatural to justify his beliefs.


From what I know of Folau I don’t think that’s the case.

I’m sure there are folks who are homophobic and use religion to justify it. But there are also folks who are deeply religious and genuinely believe their religious teachings consider homosexuality to be a sin. I think Folau falls into the latter category - albeit it’s impossible to know for sure what’s in someone else’s head.

This is the menace of organised religion. But for me, as much as I disagree with parts of Folau’s religion and his views on homosexuality I still support his right to express those views and don’t see why he should be denied his trade as a result. For mine, free speech is fundamental.

dirty leeds wrote:
I wouldn't choose to work with someone who uses his celebrity to shout loudly that he's homophobic....
I don't want to work with stupid, bigoted cunts, however talented they are at their chosen profession. The world has enough utter cunts in it without my selecting them for work colleagues.


Good for you DL but I seem to recall you recently commenting that your mag interviews homophobic reggae or rap artists? You haven’t walked off the job there? Perhaps you feel music “artists” are more entitled to free expression than rugby players?


No, we chose to challenge them on it in the interviews. [I see you conveniently forgot that part.] I think pretty much all of them have backed off on the subject. It mostly concerned Jamaican reggae/dancehall artists but the hip-hop star Common actually apologised to our journalist for his lyrics and said he's been "a punk" for what he said.

I don't give a shit how "sincerely" he believes whatever old bollocks he believes about religion, he can fuck off. Religion is bullshit.


Challenging them is fine. Free speech countering free speech. That’s different from censorship. Personally, I think it’s much better to confront the irrational with rational argument - rather than refusing to work with them as your previous post suggested (albeit you now confirm not what you did on the mag - and well done for that).
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Yeboah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Religion is bullshit.


Typical TSB logic here :lol:

So, because YOU think it’s bullshit ....then it is.

There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.

Be interesting to know if someone like GT was genuinely offended by IF comments, or indeed if any gay person was. Maybe it was just other people getting offended on their behalf?

He’s a public figure and so cant expect to say what he did without ramifications. It’s interesting however that his right of freedom of expression due to religious belief is somehow held in worse regard than someone else’s sexuality. But that’s the world in 2019/20.

Irrespective of what he says now he will still THINK what he thinks. It’s a view probably shared with a great number of people , just that they don’t voice it.

Is hate ‘thought’ a crime?

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Yeboah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:33 pm

Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:And, as others have said, saying that you think anything because of your belief in some imaginary super-friend called God is such a cop-out. There's no proof of any god; there's no proof that Israel's religion is 'the one'. He's just appealing to the supernatural to justify his beliefs.


From what I know of Folau I don’t think that’s the case.

I’m sure there are folks who are homophobic and use religion to justify it. But there are also folks who are deeply religious and genuinely believe their religious teachings consider homosexuality to be a sin. I think Folau falls into the latter category - albeit it’s impossible to know for sure what’s in someone else’s head.

This is the menace of organised religion. But for me, as much as I disagree with parts of Folau’s religion and his views on homosexuality I still support his right to express those views and don’t see why he should be denied his trade as a result. For mine, free speech is fundamental.

dirty leeds wrote:
I wouldn't choose to work with someone who uses his celebrity to shout loudly that he's homophobic....
I don't want to work with stupid, bigoted cunts, however talented they are at their chosen profession. The world has enough utter cunts in it without my selecting them for work colleagues.


Good for you DL but I seem to recall you recently commenting that your mag interviews homophobic reggae or rap artists? You haven’t walked off the job there? Perhaps you feel music “artists” are more entitled to free expression than rugby players?


100% agree

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:50 pm

Yeboah wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Religion is bullshit.


Typical TSB logic here :lol:

So, because YOU think it’s bullshit ....then it is.

There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.

Be interesting to know if someone like GT was genuinely offended by IF comments, or indeed if any gay person was. Maybe it was just other people getting offended on their behalf?

He’s a public figure and so cant expect to say what he did without ramifications. It’s interesting however that his right of freedom of expression due to religious belief is somehow held in worse regard than someone else’s sexuality. But that’s the world in 2019/20.

Irrespective of what he says now he will still THINK what he thinks. It’s a view probably shared with a great number of people , just that they don’t voice it.

Is hate ‘thought’ a crime?

Are you a Christian?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:39 pm

Yeboah wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Religion is bullshit.


There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.


Hey, look everyone! It’s another one of those cunts who’s too fucking stupid to understand the difference between the existence of god and the existence of religion.
Member of a clique

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Yeboah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:41 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Religion is bullshit.


Typical TSB logic here :lol:

So, because YOU think it’s bullshit ....then it is.

There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.

Be interesting to know if someone like GT was genuinely offended by IF comments, or indeed if any gay person was. Maybe it was just other people getting offended on their behalf?

He’s a public figure and so cant expect to say what he did without ramifications. It’s interesting however that his right of freedom of expression due to religious belief is somehow held in worse regard than someone else’s sexuality. But that’s the world in 2019/20.

Irrespective of what he says now he will still THINK what he thinks. It’s a view probably shared with a great number of people , just that they don’t voice it.

Is hate ‘thought’ a crime?

Are you a Christian?


What would be the definition?

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Yeboah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:42 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Religion is bullshit.


There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.


Hey, look everyone! It’s another one of those cunts who’s too fucking stupid to understand the difference between the existence of god and the existence of religion.


Or alternatively, someone who thought they saw the word ‘god’ when it didn’t exist

Maybe they just can’t fucking read?

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Religion is bullshit.


Typical TSB logic here :lol:

So, because YOU think it’s bullshit ....then it is.

There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.

Be interesting to know if someone like GT was genuinely offended by IF comments, or indeed if any gay person was. Maybe it was just other people getting offended on their behalf?

He’s a public figure and so cant expect to say what he did without ramifications. It’s interesting however that his right of freedom of expression due to religious belief is somehow held in worse regard than someone else’s sexuality. But that’s the world in 2019/20.

Irrespective of what he says now he will still THINK what he thinks. It’s a view probably shared with a great number of people , just that they don’t voice it.

Is hate ‘thought’ a crime?

Are you a Christian?

You'd think the thick chelsea cunt would at least check before shooting his cunt mouth off, but no...

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:05 pm

Yeboah wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:Are you a Christian?


What would be the definition?

Standard definition.

Do you think that Christ was the son of God, sent to cleanse us of our sins, died on the cross and was resurrected?

You don't have to believe every word in the Bible literally, but you do have to believe the above.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Yeboah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:32 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:Are you a Christian?


What would be the definition?

Standard definition.

Do you think that Christ was the son of God, sent to cleanse us of our sins, died on the cross and was resurrected?

You don't have to believe every word in the Bible literally, but you do have to believe the above.


Ok, no then.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm

Yeboah wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
There are millions , maybe billions of people who believe in the existence of a higher power. Those people take comfort from that belief that allows them to live and exist.


Hey, look everyone! It’s another one of those cunts who’s too fucking stupid to understand the difference between the existence of god and the existence of religion.


Or alternatively, someone who thought they saw the word ‘god’ when it didn’t exist

Maybe they just can’t fucking read?


I think its more a case that we know "higher power" includes people's definition of God.
So we have reasoning skills as well as the ability to read.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:58 pm

I believe in freedom of speech.
But I also believe there can be consequences for saying some things. Some addressed by laws, some by corporations, and others by the mob.
He knows he is saying things that many consider to be hateful - and even unchristian, despite which passages of the bible he chooses to read or be lectured about.
He knew he was in a public position (I don't know if he started this on twitter) and that the twatterati would push it as much they could - so he knew there would be consequences.
He said what he said, so now he has to act to deal with the consequences.
I don't know if you saw the NBA turned on its own because they criticized China over Hong Kong, which could cost the NBA millions - but that is the world now.
If you decide to speak out for what you believe, then you can. Seems people tend to say what they feel and then gradually roll it back to mitigate the fall-out.

Yeboah
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Yeboah » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:05 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
I think its more a case that we know "higher power" includes people's definition of God.
So we have reasoning skills as well as the ability to read.


Peoples......maybe.

Mine, how would you know.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 pm

ohhhhh - a scientologist......maybe

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:01 am

Cuntist?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:30 am


jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby jackos » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:17 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:This is the nub. 20 years ago he’d have been an ignorant berk and no one would have known. But at the very least any club signing him should say it’s a condition of his contract that he stays the fuck off social media.


20 years ago Isreal's values were fairly mainstream, 40 years ago they were entertaining and funny. I didn't meet an openly gay person until I was 18, and didn't know a black person until I left Aireborough. Thanks to social media a lot kids these days don't grew up in the white working class bubble I grew up in. Stifling ignorance isn't the solution, open debate is.
Traditional Socialist Bastard

jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Entirely SFW Random Link Thread

Postby jackos » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Are you a Christian?


I am. Nothing in Christs teachings was even slightly homophobic as far as I know?
Traditional Socialist Bastard


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests