Occasional statto attack

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Phil LUFC

Re: Occasional statto attack

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:
welshwhite wrote:So, if we do go up what are the stats for the three promoted teams in the last five seasons not getting relegated back into the Championship. What could we expect to do?

Fuck it up in the worst possible way?

Probably, Smaller supported clubs seem to do ok though. Suppose the biggest factor comes down to the ownership and how the club is run?

Varies I guess, on the one hand you get clubs like Norwich and Burnley who yo-yo then hope to make it stick then there's Newcastle who go up and stay up/do quite well but then fuck it up all over again. Boro have it about right for me, keep the best of what you have, add the best quality you can in key areas (keeper and striker). There's enough money about now even mid table sides can afford to bring in some really good players, it's just about surviving long enough to convince them to come and getting the right ones. There's no way we're well enough setup off the pitch to emulate Southampton.

What we can't do, if we go up, is spend everything on past it big names/expensive loans.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 pm

No disrespect to the clubs but I have never seen so many 'Small' clubs in the Premiership. Look at the fuckers from Everton down. It really hurts me to see where we are with those fuckers there in our place.....Cunts!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

Half of the cunts would struggle to take a thousand fans to away games.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 am

welshwhite wrote:No disrespect to the clubs but I have never seen so many 'Small' clubs in the Premiership. Look at the fuckers from Everton down. It really hurts me to see where we are with those fuckers there in our place.....Cunts!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

Half of the cunts would struggle to take a thousand fans to away games.

Completely agree. Some of the clubs now stable within the Premiership have no long history at the top level or mass support. I know these things change with time but our place in the top league would be welcomed by many other clubs - even if they just want someone to hate rather than the likes of Watford (to name just one innocuous small club).

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 am

I'm quite torn about this whole promotion thing TBH.

Yes, we're obliged to try and compete at the highest level and all that, but the Prem is such a fucking tediously uncompetitive league: 5 or 6 at the top who are actually in the competition, then a bunch of also-rans.

And the grounds and fans are wank. I'd much rather be going to Brentford and Fulham than the Emirates / WHL / Stamford Bridge; they're all just dull plastic corporate shitholes.

Tommy

Occasional statto attack

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:51 pm

I dunno what the new incarnation will be like but I think White Hart Lane was a nice little stadium. Decent atmosphere and just enough of a shit-hole to escape the feelings you describe above. I assume that'll be gone after the rebuild though.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Aye, the only problem with the Championship is success means getting out of it. That said, we've got to be targeting better. Better players, better football, looking to get back to a state where we're competing to be in Europe... Or at the absolute short term minimum to be able to attack the Championship in the same style Newcastle do when they're here.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:54 pm

People keep saying we are now just a small club, we need to lower our expectations, and all the other bollocks that we're not good enough to be there with the big boys. With our current playing staff, I fully agree with that.

As for the club Leeds Utd, we should be in the top seven of the Premiership every season.

a) If we get to Wembley we could probably fill the place with our fans alone.
b) We are getting 30k fans now.
c) We're a one club city - Manchester has two teams in a european league position every season.

Think small and you will act small: Verne Troyer - 1991

Tommy

Occasional statto attack

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

We're not a small club, we're just a skint, badly run club because of a series of bad owners. Just the hope that things are improving on that front has brought fans back and no doubt if/when we get a decentish owner things will improve even further.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm

For say the first couple of decades of my football supporting lifetime, hype about non matchday income streams remained just that, hype [e.g. in the 90s manyoo were totally unable to monetise their huge East Asian fan base, which mostly amounted to hordes of people buying knock-off shirts & watching the odd game on free-to-air TV with limited means to buy the stuff being pushed by advertisers], with money through the turnstiles [well, season ticket electronic transfers] remaining very much king.

But particularly over the last decade or so, other revenue streams have gone a long way towards taking over. From the 2017 Deloitte report here are the matchday:broadcasting:commercial revenue splits for the seven ‘richest’ English clubs in the global top twenty:
• Scum – 20:35:45
• Citeh – 15:40:45 [their 45% ‘commercial’ is anomalously high, being the result of their ‘arm’s length, honest, guv’ sponsorship deals with Etihad
• Ars – 30:40:30
• Che – 20:45:35
• Liv – 20:40:40
• Spurs – 20:50:30
• West Ham – 20:60:20 [I guess their matchday income will be much higher once the effect of the new ground kicks into the data]
• Leicester – 10:75:15 [unusual for obvious reasons].

the broadcast income takes care of itself, partly just for turning up & partly for finishing in a decent league position [preferably leading to BAROMETER participation], but for us to be really competitive at the top level I suppose we'd have to also somehow grow our 'global fan base', making us more attractive to sponsors etc. we're exceptionally well supported by scandinavian baby boomers but outside of that I'm a lot less sure. a decent spell of success would help, of course, but even so, we've lost a heck of a march on the top over the last decade & a bit...

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:41 pm

the flying pig wrote:For say the first couple of decades of my football supporting lifetime, hype about non matchday income streams remained just that, hype [e.g. in the 90s manyoo were totally unable to monetise their huge East Asian fan base, which mostly amounted to hordes of people buying knock-off shirts & watching the odd game on free-to-air TV with limited means to buy the stuff being pushed by advertisers], with money through the turnstiles [well, season ticket electronic transfers] remaining very much king.

But particularly over the last decade or so, other revenue streams have gone a long way towards taking over. From the 2017 Deloitte report here are the matchday:broadcasting:commercial revenue splits for the seven ‘richest’ English clubs in the global top twenty:
• Scum – 20:35:45
• Citeh – 15:40:45 [their 45% ‘commercial’ is anomalously high, being the result of their ‘arm’s length, honest, guv’ sponsorship deals with Etihad
• Ars – 30:40:30
• Che – 20:45:35
• Liv – 20:40:40
• Spurs – 20:50:30
• West Ham – 20:60:20 [I guess their matchday income will be much higher once the effect of the new ground kicks into the data]
• Leicester – 10:75:15 [unusual for obvious reasons].

the broadcast income takes care of itself, partly just for turning up & partly for finishing in a decent league position [preferably leading to BAROMETER participation], but for us to be really competitive at the top level I suppose we'd have to also somehow grow our 'global fan base', making us more attractive to sponsors etc. we're exceptionally well supported by scandinavian baby boomers but outside of that I'm a lot less sure. a decent spell of success would help, of course, but even so, we've lost a heck of a march on the top over the last decade & a bit...

True, but it can change fairly quickly. I see Leicester are only getting 15% in merchandising but I see a fair few kids around ehre with Leicester shirts (the cool kids of course) that you would never have seen only a year ago. More than Spurs or W. Ham for example.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tommy

Occasional statto attack

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:20 pm

We're potentially well placed to garner an Asian following if there is Chinese investment in our near future (which seems possible, nay probable). If we do want to claim our place amongst the top clubs again, stuff like this may well become a necessary evil of sorts.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm

during what's left of my supporting lifetime I'd be content enough for us to get to say everton's current level, & in the warm glow of our current league position [ask me again three months from now & no doubt i'll give a very different answer] that doesn't feel **crazily** unrealistic.

by "everton's... level" I suppose I mean strong enough recruit good players, to keep even our very best ones for, y'know, a while, and to perform respectably in both league & cup, sometimes challenging for euro vase qualification through one or t'other, etc.

Tommy

Occasional statto attack

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:14 pm

I think the above is doable if we're able to rid ourselves of the Albatross at the end of this season and show a bit of patience once we do.

JimbobMaloney

Postby JimbobMaloney » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 pm

I suppose we'd have to also somehow grow our 'global fan base

I'm bringing a guy from Nigeria to the game on Saturday. That should do it.

Billy Casper

Postby Billy Casper » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

JimbobMaloney wrote:
I suppose we'd have to also somehow grow our 'global fan base

I'm bringing a guy from Nigeria to the game on Saturday. That should do it.

Should have been another gem from Ghana!
No Skuche ala Gats

JimbobMaloney

Postby JimbobMaloney » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:57 pm

I think he said something about being George Weah's relative...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 pm

the flying pig wrote:during what's left of my supporting lifetime I'd be content enough for us to get to say everton's current level, & in the warm glow of our current league position [ask me again three months from now & no doubt i'll give a very different answer] that doesn't feel **crazily** unrealistic.

by "everton's... level" I suppose I mean strong enough recruit good players, to keep even our very best ones for, y'know, a while, and to perform respectably in both league & cup, sometimes challenging for euro vase qualification through one or t'other, etc.

Pretty much what I want. Everton/Southampton an - until recently - Spurs, who may be moving up a notch. Might not win the league - though not impossible, after Leicester - but could easily notch up a cup win and should take a few scalps each new season.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:EDIT: There's 2 games Tuesday:
Brentford v Wolves = Brentford/Draw
Fulham v Blackburn = Fulham

0 out of 2 so far :thumbl: .

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:EDIT: There's 2 games Tuesday:
Brentford v Wolves = Brentford/Draw
Fulham v Blackburn = Fulham

0 out of 2 so far :thumbl: .

Undeterred by that:
Bristol v Huddersfield = Away win
Sheff Wed v Reading = Home win

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Thought I'd chuck the sheet up now, some (hopefully) useful statting even if the predictions are shite. Macros don't do owt other than restrict the ability to scroll.
Championship Form 16-17.xlsm
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

Return to “The Square Ball”