O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 am

gazurtoids wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:It's in a classy spot.

Quite pleasingly they're going for a theatre style layout rather than an open arena like Sheffield which is awful for gigs.

I just hope it doesn't suffer by comparison with the Merrion Centre.

How could it possibly compete? It'll look terribly dated, next to that dynamic form.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 am

Nice video, on here... looks great!!!

A new era dawns, long time overdue....

http://www.arenaleeds.com/
:thumbl: LUFC RULES OK! :thumbl:

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 am

alienbumnote wrote:Nice video, on here... looks great!!!

A new era dawns, long time overdue....

http://www.arenaleeds.com/

Word on the Street is Hastie Group have been awarded the build.
:thumbl: LUFC RULES OK! :thumbl:

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm

I still don't think we need a sodding arena.

Meanwhile, the rusty towers been voted best tall building in t' world: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11606949

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:44 pm

On my last visit to ER we had a few beers in the very wonderful Cross Keys on Water Lane and walked to the ground.
Rediscovered this utter gem on Marshall St, Temple Mill, apparently doing its best to fall down.
This would make a really great multi-purpose arts venue, fuck the post modern Arena, get this fucker up and running again.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Mustafaster wrote:On my last visit to ER we had a few beers in the very wonderful Cross Keys on Water Lane and walked to the ground.
Rediscovered this utter gem on Marshall St, Temple Mill, apparently doing its best to fall down.
This would make a really great multi-purpose arts venue, fuck the post modern Arena, get this fucker up and running again.

There have been definite attempts to make that bit of Holbeck into an extension of the town centre in recent years, so it's maybe surprising it's never been refurbished.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Mustafaster wrote:On my last visit to ER we had a few beers in the very wonderful Cross Keys on Water Lane and walked to the ground.

Really odd. Go look at it on Street View.

On all the shots bar one, the facade is complete. But if you click on the camera at the junction of Manor Road / Marshall Street, part of it has collapsed and there's scaffolding up. Someone should sue Google for driving past and making it fall down.

What does it look like now? Is that hole still there?

EDIT to say - even more curious: there's a DB9 with a private plate parked outside the main entrance. Putting 2 and 2 together and making 9, I'd say it's obvious that Mr Rapacious Developer went in to tell his heavies which bits of internal structure to knock down to make it collapse, and hey presto...

Disco Dan
Site Admin

Postby Disco Dan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:29 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Really odd. Go look at it on Street View.

On all the shots bar one, the facade is complete. But if you click on the camera at the junction of Manor Road / Marshall Street, part of it has collapsed and there's scaffolding up. Someone should sue Google for driving past and making it fall down.

What does it look like now? Is that hole still there?

EDIT to say - even more curious: there's a DB9 with a private plate parked outside the main entrance. Putting 2 and 2 together and making 9, I'd say it's obvious that Mr Rapacious Developer went in to tell his heavies which bits of internal structure to knock down to make it collapse, and hey presto...

A poke around on Skyscrapercity suggests one of the pillars at the front collapsed at the back end of 2008.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Mustafaster wrote:On my last visit to ER we had a few beers in the very wonderful Cross Keys on Water Lane...

right, i go to that pub sometimes, decent range of premium lagers & tucker to be had there.

simplyleedsutd

Postby simplyleedsutd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:36 pm

It is a great building, a real hidden gem. As is the cross keys for that matter.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm

simplyleedsutd wrote:It is a great building, a real hidden gem. As is the cross keys for that matter.

Aye, the Cross Keys was a wonderful little find, one of those really pleasant surprises. A gem of a pub, great ales, spectacular lager and proper, decent grub. The people who run it are to be congratulated.

Let's keep schtum about though, eh?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Speaking of pubs, has anyone been to The Garden Gate in Hunslet? Looks a very impressive place - shame about the location.
http://www.gardengateleeds.co.uk/

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:05 am

thechubbyone wrote:Speaking of pubs, has anyone been to The Garden Gate in Hunslet? Looks a very impressive place - shame about the location.
http://www.gardengateleeds.co.uk/

Aye, it used to be one of my regular haunts when I lived in Beeston. It was a bit like the Adelphi on Leeds Bridge, but if anything more spectacular with the glasswork and mahogany. Bit OTT in my opinion but nice for a couple of pints every now and again.
An unknown gem is the King's Head on Wakey Heath, it's actually worth making the effort to get there. The place itself is unique afaik, great selection of beers always, and the food is summat else, the best I've ever had in a pub, the desserts are killers. If you ever need to get inside a lady's knickers it's a surefire winner.
http://www.hbclark.co.uk/kingsarms/
This is a bloody secret I'm letting you cunts in on here, don't go blabbing it to all and sundry.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 am

Mustafaster wrote:...the King's Head on Wakey Heath... is a bloody secret I'm letting you cunts in on here, don't go blabbing it to all and sundry.

i think water lane's more the style of most of the undesirables on here, TBH.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:51 am

As this is rapidly turning into a thread about pubs, anyone know of any hidden gems in the centre of Leeds? The adelphi or palace tend to be my preference (or wetherspoons when times are hard) but wouldn't mind somewhere new to try.

One place that always looked impressive but I never dared to venture inside was the rising sun on Kirkstall road which now appears to have been turned into some sort of cash converters establishment.

simplyleedsutd

Postby simplyleedsutd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:06 pm

thechubbyone wrote:As this is rapidly turning into a thread about pubs, anyone know of any hidden gems in the centre of Leeds? The adelphi or palace tend to be my preference (or wetherspoons when times are hard) but wouldn't mind somewhere new to try.

One place that always looked impressive but I never dared to venture inside was the rising sun on Kirkstall road which now appears to have been turned into some sort of cash converters establishment.

I like Mr Foleys on the Headrow
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ouse/Leeds

I also really like The Hop, in granary wharf next to the new city inn.
http://www.thehop-leeds.co.uk/

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:13 pm

simplyleedsutd wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:As this is rapidly turning into a thread about pubs, anyone know of any hidden gems in the centre of Leeds? The adelphi or palace tend to be my preference (or wetherspoons when times are hard) but wouldn't mind somewhere new to try.

I like Mr Foleys on the Headrow
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... ouse/Leeds

I also really like The Hop, in granary wharf next to the new city inn.
http://www.thehop-leeds.co.uk/

Both of those are great pubs, there is also The Grove Inn and the Leeds Brewery Tap as well
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:15 pm

I drove past it this morning so took a couple of snaps. It's looking in a poor state to be honest. On the plus side you can park there for £3.50.
Apologies for the crap quality of photo. It was taken with a camera phone through a rainy car window.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

The Temple works, as featured on this thread, is to host a Leeds photography exhibition.

Just got an email from the bloke running it so we can plug it in the mag and podcast.

The photo's are all taken by football casuals from the 80's of their times watching Leeds and getting into scrapes. they show pretty honest account of being a Leeds fan at that time all be it from the eyes of what we termed at the time as "dressers" when I was growing up.

The interest for most fans will be the grounds, the haircuts, the clothes and the experience of watching Leeds during those lean years.

The event will open before the Norwich game (12:00 19th February) and after for a drinks reception and bar going on long into the night. All fans are invited to come in and have a look at the pictures and have a few beers after the game.

pizzadeliveryninja

Postby pizzadeliveryninja » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:48 pm

More of a bar, but good beers, tasty food and helpful staff - Leeds Brewery's Pin http://www.pinleeds.co.uk/. It's on Dock Street, just by the Adelphi.

There's also Veritas, which is a bit further out on Great George Street. Really good range of beers in there. http://www.markettowntaverns.co.uk/veritas.asp?Tavern=Veritas&Section=Main

Return to “The Square Ball”