O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mustafaster

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Summat to fit in with all the other hideous square blocks in that photo?
At least it's got a bit of a shape to it, all the others look like they were designed by an 8 year old with a set square who hadn't quite got to grips with a chimney and curly smoke yet, so went for the safe option.
Quite like the rusty offset blocks on the building by the Poly though.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:28 pm

thechubbyone wrote:There is a round looking building going up near bridgewater place that looks quite good so far, although it's pretty well covered in scaffolding at the moment.

Now the scaffold has been removed, here is my verdict...

Its fucking shit, is that the best fascia that they could come up with? Fucking red brick. Whoever let that plan go through needs booting off the planning committee, it looks like a giant chimney.

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:40 am

Fuckin Shit Hole wants tearing down so they can build some slums!
:thumbl: LUFC RULES OK! :thumbl:

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am

good thread Jean-Pierre and always interesting to hear the [and i use the description extremeley carfully] lay-person's view on buildings/architecture

bridgewater place (aedas) was well over a decade in the making and is testament to the building process itself ie a long drawn out slog that innevitably ends up in a big fat compromise [esp after the cdm co-ordinator has had his go eh Mr B?']

very few people are going to agree to like these buildings but they are what they are and will probably end up being the 'iconic' Leeds image of the naughties building boom.. the (careys) resi block at the top of town may join in with that but it somehow seems like the poor relation.. the luminaire project on wellington street would have been far cooler but didnt make it out of the ground, even after spending £15-20M on the foundations which was a massive shame

i for one appreciate these buildings more than the 80s red-brick Leeds-look style promoted by Lyons et al and i suppose thats the nub of the thread - what do the buildings we put up in our city say about us and our identity?

fuck knows but so long as the team is top of the league it all seems a bit better eh :) there are some very talented Architects in and around Leeds but finding a way through the procurement process with a good concept is more often than not the hardest part of it
Here we go..

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 am

ddwhite wrote:i for one appreciate these buildings more than the 80s red-brick Leeds-look style promoted by Lyons et al and i suppose thats the nub of the thread - what do the buildings we put up in our city say about us and our identity?

Fair comment. When you talk about 'Leeds style promoted by Lyons et al' are you talking about, for example, that fucking moose on the island at the bottom of the Headrow? Wasn't that DLA? Six storeys of brick, different windows on the top floor, oversailing pitched roof. Classic formula :roll:

I've always thought that Leeds, culturally, somehow short-changes itself on all image fronts. For example, how much blather do you read about Liverpool and M*nchester music scenes compared to Leeds? There have been great bands from Leeds, but they never seemed to wear Leeds as an identity as much as other places. Wonder why that is?

ChairmanMeaow

Postby ChairmanMeaow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:20 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I've always thought that Leeds, culturally, somehow short-changes itself on all image fronts. For example, how much blather do you read about Liverpool and M*nchester music scenes compared to Leeds? There have been great bands from Leeds, but they never seemed to wear Leeds as an identity as much as other places. Wonder why that is?

Not sure we're in the same sort of league as Manchester music-wise.
we've got:
Gang of Four
Cud
Kaiser Cheifs
The Bridewell Taxis
Wedding Present
Sisters of Mercy
ADT Lad
The Music and
Pigeon Detectives

whereas Manchester have:
The Stone Roses
Joy Division
New Order
The Smiths
Oasis
Happy Mondays
The Fall
The Buzzcocks
Chemical Brothers
Magazine
Elbow
Doves
etc...

and Liverpool have:
The Beatles
Echo and the Bunnymen
...and some others :mrgreen:

Also, I have to say I really like that rusty building. Anyone know what's happening with the swimming pool? Apologies if it's already been brought up...

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Aren't the Cribs from Leeds? They're much loved by the trendy NME scene.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Dods

Postby Dods » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

For Leeds bands you also missed
Chumbawumba
The Mekons
Utah Saints
Whitesnake
Soft Cell :?
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Dods wrote:For Leeds bands you also missed
Chumbawumba
The Mekons
Utah Saints
Whitesnake

James are creditted to be from Manchester, however Tim Booth was from Boston Spa!!!

Your Leeds and Know you are - SIT DOWN :mrgreen:

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 pm

alienbumnote wrote:
Chumbawumba
The Mekons
Utah Saints
Whitesnake

James are creditted to be from Manchester, however Tim Booth was from Boston Spa!!!

Your Leeds and Know you are - SIT DOWN :mrgreen:

Also Mel B
Corrine Bailey Ray
Craig David (Avid Merrion Centre)
Kiki Dee (Bratfut)
Embrace (briggcleckwakeyfax Leeds ish)

Leeds is more current than manchester who famous arstist only really populate the 80's/90's hit parades!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:07 pm

ChairmanMeaow wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I've always thought that Leeds, culturally, somehow short-changes itself on all image fronts. For example, how much blather do you read about Liverpool and M*nchester music scenes compared to Leeds? There have been great bands from Leeds, but they never seemed to wear Leeds as an identity as much as other places. Wonder why that is?

we've got:
Gang of Four
. . .

whereas Manchester have:
The Stone Roses
. . .

Anyone know what's happening with the swimming pool?

I accept what you're saying about orders of magnitude, but that wasn't really the point I was making. Stone Roses are commonly identified as a 'Manchester band', but Go4 are never a 'Leeds band' are they?

And what is occurring with the swimming pool? Designed by the famously bent John Poulson, and built to the wrong dimensions, if I recall correctly. Like a bit of decent brutalism, me, though. Makes contemporary architecture look proper cardboardy.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:14 pm

they're not doing the spiracle/poppodum tower anymore. which is a shame.

that noel fielding from the mighty boosh. is it just me that thinks he deserves to be squashed like a shitty insect? he makes my skin crawl - he's a northern and poncey phil jupitus.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
ChairmanMeaow wrote:

we've got:
Gang of Four
. . .

whereas Manchester have:
The Stone Roses
. . .

Anyone know what's happening with the swimming pool?

I accept what you're saying about orders of magnitude, but that wasn't really the point I was making. Stone Roses are commonly identified as a 'Manchester band', but Go4 are never a 'Leeds band' are they?

And what is occurring with the swimming pool? Designed by the famously bent John Poulson, and built to the wrong dimensions, if I recall correctly. Like a bit of decent brutalism, me, though. Makes contemporary architecture look proper cardboardy.

urban myth about the International pool Eric.. my dad's an Architect and worked extensively on the project and has always maintained that that was someone making trouble after the event

oh and the site is going to be a car park for a while, with the John Charles aquatics centre taking over as Leeds main swimming venue
Here we go..

alienbumnote

Postby alienbumnote » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 am

The old place isn't looking too hot these days....

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/sh ... php?t=3781

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:49 am

alienbumnote wrote:The old place isn't looking too hot these days....

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/sh ... php?t=3781

Your link don't quite work but I got there in the end. Great set of photos.

'Welcome To Leeds. Now Fuck Off, Thank You'

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:21 am

MightyWhite wrote:Aren't the Cribs from Leeds? They're much loved by the trendy NME scene.

Wakey rather than Leeds. Even went to the same school as me.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 am

thechubbyone wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:Aren't the Cribs from Leeds? They're much loved by the trendy NME scene.

Wakey rather than Leeds. Even went to the same school as me.

to be fair a goodly proportion of the 'manchester' bands you hear about are from oldham etc.

dublin white 69

Postby dublin white 69 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Chumbawumba
The Mekons
Utah Saints
WhitesnakeSoft Cell :?

I didn't Whitesnake were from Leeds,I always thought Coverdale was a geordie,or at least from up that way.

I only got see the Snake just the once,in the Queens Hall in '82,it was my first indoor gig,my only other gig had been Queen at Elland Road.
Anyways it was in December,and it was fucking freezing,so I had my "winter coat" on,had nowhere to leave it,so had to wear all through the gig.10,000 sweaties going fucking mental,meant my coat was stuck to me,and when I came out,it was like walking into a deep freeze,fucking great show though :mrgreen:
I might be green,but I ain't no cabbage

Dods

Postby Dods » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:13 pm

I got the list from Wiki, but why Whitesnake are on there is a mystery because (as you say) they all seem to be from the NE.
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:17 pm

ddwhite wrote:
urban myth about the International pool Eric.. my dad's an Architect and worked extensively on the project and has always maintained that that was someone making trouble after the event

I've since read the the council instructed the width to be reduced to save cash, hence it could never be used as an 'international' pool.

Did your Dad work for Poulson then? He must have some stories.

Return to “The Square Ball”