O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Shorn Derry

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Shorn Derry » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

pizzadeliveryninja wrote:More of a bar, but good beers, tasty food and helpful staff - Leeds Brewery's Pin http://www.pinleeds.co.uk/. It's on Dock Street, just by the Adelphi.

Started work in Clarence Dock just under a year ago, PIN is our preferred venue. Can endorse the above, plus the Leeds Pale is/was 50p a pint cheaper than the Adelphi, despite PIN looking considerably more up market!!
First Match Northampton Town (H) 1965 Result 6-1
Son's First Match Sheff Wed (A) 1992 Result 6-1
Waiting to unleash the grandson....

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:17 am

thechubbyone wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:On my last visit to ER we had a few beers in the very wonderful Cross Keys on Water Lane and walked to the ground.
Rediscovered this utter gem on Marshall St, Temple Mill, apparently doing its best to fall down.
This would make a really great multi-purpose arts venue, fuck the post modern Arena, get this fucker up and running again.

There have been definite attempts to make that bit of Holbeck into an extension of the town centre in recent years, so it's maybe surprising it's never been refurbished.

hoof to say this gem is the focus of the current Private Eye's (#1292) Nooks and Corners column. Apparently it's part owned by the Barclay Brothers (those krazy kats), is modelled on Egyptian temples, and the renovations are yet to begin despite the owners' insistence that this will happen. Column pushes for the Council to force the issue and save this "great architectural monument of Britain's industrial revolution".

Next issue: shoring up the creaking LUFC midfield which has repeatedly collapsed; due to begin imminently, but tax-dodging eccentric owner is reluctant to commit.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:26 pm

thechubbyone wrote:Speaking of pubs, has anyone been to The Garden Gate in Hunslet? Looks a very impressive place - shame about the location.
http://www.gardengateleeds.co.uk/

I decided to pop in here for a pint on the way home from work last Friday. Really impressive place, but it takes a leap of faith to go in when you see the location of it.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm

While you've reminded me, I got the shuttle bus to the Donny game from under the dark arches, and it went past the bloody dalek. I''m a bit unfamiliar with that whole area, but I noticed on the way back that the Grove is right next to it, and it put the whole area into context. I used to walk past absolutely nothing to get to that pub, and now it's absolutely dwarfed by this huge monstrous thing. Odd.

Having said that I think I like it though. I think.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 pm

It does make the Grove seem a little threatened by progress, doesn't it. Mind you, I suppose it did before...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Construction is currently Fucked and Leeds is no exception

The new Arena looks liek it will be pretty impressive.. its been a while since the Queens Hall was demolished

Here we go..

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 pm

thechubbyone wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:Speaking of pubs, has anyone been to The Garden Gate in Hunslet? Looks a very impressive place - shame about the location.
http://www.gardengateleeds.co.uk/

I decided to pop in here for a pint on the way home from work last Friday. Really impressive place, but it takes a leap of faith to go in when you see the location of it.

Just figured out where it is with the aid of google streetview...fucking hell :shock:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Not Leeds, but what are the thoughts on The Shard?

I am quietly smug because looking out of my window I can see the tallest building in the land, fuck Larndan.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:08 pm

OWETB wrote:Not Leeds, but what are the thoughts on The Shard?

Seen it once, it looked very impressive. Though I had just been to watch Leeds at Millwall, so compared to that area of London a steaming pile of dog shit would look impressive.

Fax Man

Postby Fax Man » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm

I am quietly smug because looking out of my window I can see the tallest building in the land, fuck Larndan.

I see The Shard every day from our office. For weeks I thought it wasn't finished because of the way it is split (I hadn't paid much attention to the original design) but have grown to really like it. They could've made just a huge, tall pyramid and it would've looked great in the same way the Gherkin (and nearly every sky scraper) is a clean, full shape but doing it the way they have makes it a bit more interesting. In the rare moments when it catches the sun at the right angle it looks superb. It does still have an unfinished look because the top isn't all connected and some people I spoke to today were surprised when I said it was the launch tonight. Like any modern design, it takes some getting used to but eventually people will appreciate it more.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Fax Man wrote:I see The Shard every day from our office. For weeks I thought it wasn't finished because of the way it is split (I hadn't paid much attention to the original design) but have grown to really like it. They could've made just a huge, tall pyramid and it would've looked great in the same way the Gherkin (and nearly every sky scraper) is a clean, full shape but doing it the way they have makes it a bit more interesting. In the rare moments when it catches the sun at the right angle it looks superb. It does still have an unfinished look because the top isn't all connected and some people I spoke to today were surprised when I said it was the launch tonight. Like any modern design, it takes some getting used to but eventually people will appreciate it more.

Yeah, but it still isn't the tallest in the land, fuck Larndan.

Oh, I love huge buildings - worked on enough of em, but, well they should have gone the extra 20.001 meters but they didn't and as such they leave the tallest in the view from my house :elephant:

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:51 pm

E.M.M isn't a building though, is it?

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm

gazurtoids wrote:E.M.M isn't a building though, is it?

It has a viewing deck, no cunt lives in it - but people work in it so it is occupied. Tallest free standing structure in the UK, and I don't have to leave my house to see the cunt :mrgreen:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm

See it every day from an angle viewing right between the spires, and the more they finish it the more I see it like this. (I hate those fucking movies too BTW :elephant: )

snoozedoggydog2

Postby snoozedoggydog2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:On my last visit to ER we had a few beers in the very wonderful Cross Keys on Water Lane and walked to the ground.
Rediscovered this utter gem on Marshall St, Temple Mill, apparently doing its best to fall down.
This would make a really great multi-purpose arts venue, fuck the post modern Arena, get this fucker up and running again.

There have been definite attempts to make that bit of Holbeck into an extension of the town centre in recent years, so it's maybe surprising it's never been refurbished.

hoof to say this gem is the focus of the current Private Eye's (#1292) Nooks and Corners column. Apparently it's part owned by the Barclay Brothers (those krazy kats), is modelled on Egyptian temples, and the renovations are yet to begin despite the owners' insistence that this will happen. Column pushes for the Council to force the issue and save this "great architectural monument of Britain's industrial revolution".

Next issue: shoring up the creaking LUFC midfield which has repeatedly collapsed; due to begin imminently, but tax-dodging eccentric owner is reluctant to commit.

Was that one of the old Kays catologue buildings?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:29 am

Not Leeds, but London and at £20Million its a snip.

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2013/07/a-piece-of-londons-historic-past-to-be-sold-off-by-the-ministry-of-defence-to-developers/97208

Here's some below ground pics. I would absolutely shit myself if I had to walk around down there.
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Brompton_Road_station.html

Surely they can find a decent use for it rather than selling it off to developers

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:47 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:Not Leeds, but London and at £20Million its a snip.

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2013/07/a-piece-of-londons-historic-past-to-be-sold-off-by-the-ministry-of-defence-to-developers/97208

Here's some below ground pics. I would absolutely shit myself if I had to walk around down there.
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Brompton_Road_station.html

Surely they can find a decent use for it rather than selling it off to developers

I'm surprised it isn't listed? It'll make a cracking Starbucks anyway.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 am

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 am

There's some great work going on in the comments below the article

Individualism must be snuffed out! He needs to live in the same cookie-cutter homes as everybody else and he'd better like it.

Some of you who are defending this guy are just a tad stupid aren't you. Have you ever heard the words, "structural integrity"? The building was not built to hold that much weight on the roof. It is a danger to everyone below. What amazes me is how it was allowed to continue. This thing was not built overnight. I get disgusted with building inspectors here but I have to say they would never have let this progress after the first night of construction.

have you ever heard of the words "get a life" !!!! This is awesome.... Its like something a villian from a bond movie would have... Lighten up, we dont want to hear about structural integrity... zzzzzzz !!!! All this rooftop needs now is some Gatling guns, a lion and some sharks !!!!

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Soon to be gone:

More details here.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

Return to “The Square Ball”