O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Man Called Sun

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Man Called Sun » Sat May 30, 2015 8:54 am

Blackwhite wrote:Used to visit someone who had a flat in what was converted (horribly) out of what I think used to be Carr Manor in Meanwood (that or some other Manor used for judge's lodgings BITD). Lovely building, but ruined by being carved up. And what these folks were doing to their bit was :shock:

"Visit someone".
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 30, 2015 10:41 am

:)
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

thechubbyone

O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby thechubbyone » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:09 am

What do people reckon to the new south entrance to Leeds station? Quite like it mesen.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 am

Musta referred to it as "pudenda-like" on the Design Classics thread... Mixed feeling among Ballers me thinks.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Prefer cream cladding myself.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:24 pm

It's fucking horrible.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Ponte wrote:It's fucking horrible.

Am with Ponte on this one.
Forza Leeds Utd

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:45 pm

I can almost smell the thought process attached to this. Because the entrance relates to a 'new' or 're-imagined' bit of Leeds, someone's gone, 'I tell you what we need - we need a LANDMARK!' And then the context is that the existing back of the station is an architectural bag of spanners, so there are no decent clues to work with.

It's really difficult to design 'quiet' - or perhaps boring - architecture these days. We had a thing last year at work where I lost a project because the client kept asking us to be more wacky, or to 'think outside the box', and I just couldn't do it.

I despair.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:00 pm

I was gonna say, when did 'in keeping with the existing surroundings' stop being a thing?
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:54 pm

I don't mind it. But I think that's because it reminds me of the film Micmacs.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:26 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:I don't mind it. But I think that's because it reminds me of the film Micmacs.

Well, I didn't like that film and I don't think much of this either.

Munson

Postby Munson » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:41 am

thechubbyone wrote:What do people reckon to the new south entrance to Leeds station? Quite like it mesen.

It looks like the perfect venue for Typica, platform boots and a 70's Swedish four piece.

:dj:

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:25 am

Proud to be Leeds wrote:I don't mind it. But I think that's because it reminds me of the film Micmacs.

Reminds me of a Minion!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Eric, further afield, what do you make of The Interlace in Singapore? Only recently became aware of it, and find myself surprised at liking it quite a lot.

Image (it's only a model...)

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Eric, further afield, what do you make of The Interlace in Singapore? Only recently became aware of it, and find myself surprised at liking it quite a lot.

It's not for me, TBH. Seems like an attempt to make a fucking mahoosive and relatively banal bunch of apartment blocks look exciting by playing Jenga. Suspect there are going to be some uniquely crappy flats right under the flying bits.

Moshe Safdie did a much more satisfying version of a similar idea in Montreal in 1967. The scale just works better.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 03, 2016 8:33 pm

I'd like to see somewhere between the two, given how this strikes me... Dunno what it is, it's somehow human scale with views of sky, and arranged with enough randomness to not be overbearing, or something like that.
That looks a bit more grim somehow.

Like I say, I was immediately struck that I didn't utterly hate it, and warmed from there.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 pm

I could be completely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that this was related to the restoration of Temple Works.

Anyway, sad.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:03 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I could be completely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that this was related to the restoration of Temple Works.

Anyway, sad.

I always find it amusing that a top brand would have factories in Castleford and Keighley. Two of the biggest shitholes you can come across.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Ponte wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I could be completely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that this was related to the restoration of Temple Works.

Anyway, sad.

I always find it amusing that a top brand would have factories in Castleford and Keighley. Two of the biggest shitholes you can come across.

Same the world over. Jaguars built in Solihull. Even Modena's a dump by Italian standards.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:45 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Ponte wrote:

Anyway, sad.

Same the world over. Jaguars built in Solihull. Even Modena's a dump by Italian standards.

Granted, but it's always great to see someone flaunting their Burberry knowing it was probably stitched together by some toothless fat slag in Cas.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”