O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:06 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Interesting longish blogpost on Leeds architecture and urban planning, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

User avatar
thechubbyone
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:18 am

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby thechubbyone » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:28 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Interesting longish blogpost on Leeds architecture and urban planning, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Very interesting and I agree with the majority. It touches on it, but I don't think it emphasises enough just how shit public transport is in Leeds and how much this holds it back. All the talk of pedestrianising areas can't happen until there's a better alternative to the car for getting around.

User avatar
Man Called Sun
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 am
Location: The dancefloor

O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Man Called Sun » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:18 pm

thechubbyone wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Interesting longish blogpost on Leeds architecture and urban planning, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Very interesting and I agree with the majority. It touches on it, but I don't think it emphasises enough just how shit public transport is in Leeds and how much this holds it back. All the talk of pedestrianising areas can't happen until there's a better alternative to the car for getting around.

Tramz innit. Nottingham's benefitted enourmously. Shelving that was hugely fuckwitted for Leeds.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

User avatar
gazurtoids
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 am

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Yep. That was central govt's decision wasn't it? (Rather than LCC for once)

User avatar
Man Called Sun
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 am
Location: The dancefloor

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Man Called Sun » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 am

gazurtoids wrote:Yep. That was central govt's decision wasn't it? (Rather than LCC for once)

Aye. LCC need to persue it again in my opinion. The money's there.
But I don't live there anymore so fuck it. :wheels:
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

User avatar
Proud to be Leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm

What's the best way to search for planning applications? I want to know what's happening with this one - TADA - as I live 30 seconds away from the site, so a gym and an Aldi would be ace for my doorstep!

Tried looking here but it seems to mostly about the removal of trees...
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

User avatar
moscowhite
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby moscowhite » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:What's the best way to search for planning applications? I want to know what's happening with this one - TADA - as I live 30 seconds away from the site, so a gym and an Aldi would be ace for my doorstep!

Tried looking here but it seems to mostly about the removal of trees...


You're looking in the right place - I stuck 'Skinner Lane' in there and found what you're looking for: https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... 8SAJB17S00

It's been approved but you can see the plans; it's only an outline application though, so they'll have to put a full application in at some point to get detailed approval and start building.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

User avatar
Proud to be Leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Ah, ok, thanks very much. I hope they get a bloody move on.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 am

Bank House now grade II listed. I bet that'll rattle the cages of the 'sixties monstrosity' monkeys.

Image

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:39 pm

If you east-ish, somewhere about the M1/M621 junction (IIRC), there appears to be some sort of a massive industrial shed type thing being built away in the distance. Just wondered what that was then?

User avatar
OWETB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Eating pig with the Prophet Mohammed

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby OWETB » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:52 pm

I think its a waste recycling plant.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:17 pm

OWETB wrote:I think its a waste recycling plant.


Yeah, I wondered. Looks similar to summat that got built down here a bit back.

User avatar
Man Called Sun
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 am
Location: The dancefloor

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri May 29, 2015 2:38 pm

Any of you fuckers know Spenfield House in Headingley?
I've never heard of it before, but the Victorian Society have just twattered this story in't Independent.

Looks pretty.

Image

One of the best preserved Victorian homes in the north of England, whose magnificent interiors were admired by poet John Betjeman, is under threat, campaigners say, due to plans to convert the building into flats.

Leeds Civic Trust has joined forces with the Victorian Society to try to save the Grade II*-listed Spenfield House, which they said would “ideally” be a new museum for the city.

An emergency public meeting is to be held on Monday in an attempt to explain its importance and to form a “friends of Spenfield House” group.

The house in Far Headingley, Leeds, was built in 1875, and according to the Victorian Society has “exceptionally ornate interiors”.

After periods as a conference centre and a catering school it was recently sold and is now out of use.

Owners Round Strategies have applied for planning permission to split the house into six apartments.

Kevin Grady, director of the Leeds Civic Trust, said the group was “extremely concerned”. “It should be a jewel in the crown of Leeds’ heritage,” he said.

A spokesman for Round Strategies has previously told the Yorkshire Evening Post that they have worked closely with Leeds City Council on the plans, which they said had been approved by English Heritage.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:Any of you fuckers know Spenfield House in Headingley?
I've never heard of it before, but the Victorian Society have just twattered this story in't Independent.

Looks pretty.

Image

One of the best preserved Victorian homes in the north of England, whose magnificent interiors were admired by poet John Betjeman, is under threat, campaigners say, due to plans to convert the building into flats.

Leeds Civic Trust has joined forces with the Victorian Society to try to save the Grade II*-listed Spenfield House, which they said would “ideally” be a new museum for the city.

An emergency public meeting is to be held on Monday in an attempt to explain its importance and to form a “friends of Spenfield House” group.

The house in Far Headingley, Leeds, was built in 1875, and according to the Victorian Society has “exceptionally ornate interiors”.

After periods as a conference centre and a catering school it was recently sold and is now out of use.

Owners Round Strategies have applied for planning permission to split the house into six apartments.

Kevin Grady, director of the Leeds Civic Trust, said the group was “extremely concerned”. “It should be a jewel in the crown of Leeds’ heritage,” he said.

A spokesman for Round Strategies has previously told the Yorkshire Evening Post that they have worked closely with Leeds City Council on the plans, which they said had been approved by English Heritage.

Never been inside, but admired it from the outside many times. There are quite a few gems like this scattered around LS6/16.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
gazurtoids
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 am

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby gazurtoids » Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Never been inside, but admired it from the outside many times. There are quite a few gems like this scattered around LS6/16.


Was about to post that almost word for word!

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Used to visit someone who had a flat in what was converted (horribly) out of what I think used to be Carr Manor in Meanwood (that or some other Manor used for judge's lodgings BITD). Lovely building, but ruined by being carved up. And what these folks were doing to their bit was :shock:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Used to visit someone who had a flat in what was converted (horribly) out of what I think used to be Carr Manor in Meanwood (that or some other Manor used for judge's lodgings BITD). Lovely building, but ruined by being carved up. And what these folks were doing to their bit was :shock:

I had a mate who had a flat in Meanwood Towers, like the fuckin house of the Munsters it is, proper scary at night ...
Image
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Ah, no, that's it. That's the cunt. Ta, was trying to find it but couldn't remember the name, just rough area.


Small world/city.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: O/T idle thoughts on Leeds architecture

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri May 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Thought about buying a house in Adel Grange Mews, which was an offshoot just off to the side of this beautiful building in the same style. Once it was the home of Isabella O. Ford whose achievements are too numerous to list but included the establishment of trade unions, education, championing women's suffrage, and making sure factories abided by legislation to give fair conditions to worker. Its now a nursing home.

Image


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests