The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Devi

Re: The creekit

Postby Devi » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Tommy wrote:Starting to think that England need to do what they did with Archer to get a good spinner.

Look at the Barbados reserves?
I like it. What is it?

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Jos Buttler finally gets his first stumping in Test cricket, having missed a stumping opportunity earlier in the innings. I have no problem with Buttler as wicket keeper in white ball cricket, where the majority of wickets by England spinners appear to be catches on the boundary but to have as the Test keeper a player with only two stumpings in first class red ball cricket strikes me as cavalier. To my mind, Buttler's approach to keeping when spinners are bowling is to assume that the batsmen will either block the ball or play a scoring stroke. On occasions when the ball passes the bat, Buttler always seems to be taken by surprise.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:03 pm

It turned out to be a bit of a slog but we also played some decent cricket. Bess and Leach weren't amazing but they both came away with a decent haul of wickets between them. I'd assume Ali will be back at some point but I think Leach should probably keep his place. As per usual Foakes should be given a shot in the next match but won't. Sibley plays spin about as well as he bowls it so they should consider temporarily dropping him for Lawrence, Bairstow or Malan if possible. If Root plays like that against India we're in with a shot but the bowling attack doesn't feel quite good enough at this point. Maybe Ali will have an improbable late-career renaissance?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:Jos Buttler finally gets his first stumping in Test cricket, having missed a stumping opportunity earlier in the innings. I have no problem with Buttler as wicket keeper in white ball cricket, where the majority of wickets by England spinners appear to be catches on the boundary but to have as the Test keeper a player with only two stumpings in first class red ball cricket strikes me as cavalier. To my mind, Buttler's approach to keeping when spinners are bowling is to assume that the batsmen will either block the ball or play a scoring stroke. On occasions when the ball passes the bat, Buttler always seems to be taken by surprise.

If only we could think of a suitable nickname for him...
Nope, can't think of one.

Trumper

Postby Trumper » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Buttler is really just a white ball player.

Think India look too strong for England. Quite impressed with them in this Australian tour, looks like they’ll hold out for a tied series which considering their injuries has been an excellent result. Shown a lot of resilience which they don’t usually display in Australia.

Good pace attack led by Bumrah. Ashwin is top class spinner and they have uncovered a promising one in Washington Sandor who’s mad his debut in current test.

Batting solid as well. Well done Bess on his 5 wicket haul but if he bowls like that in India ...good luck.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:44 am

Scorchio!
Member of a clique

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 am

Trumper wrote: Quite impressed with them in this Australian tour, looks like they’ll hold out for a tied series

:mrgreen:

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 am

Given the context, location and number of key players missing, that has to be one of the best test/series deciders of all time. They lost all four tosses too. Astonishing stuff.

Feels very much like England are going to have their work cut out for them getting owt from India this year, particularly abroad.

Trumper

Postby Trumper » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 am

AndyPaul wrote:
Trumper wrote: Quite impressed with them in this Australian tour, looks like they’ll hold out for a tied series

:mrgreen:

Ha, complemented them and underestimated them all in the same post. Kudos to them it was a terrific run chase. Pant and Gill very good aggressive knocks.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:47 am

Sri Lanka pulling out a batting collapse that England would be proud of.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:23 am

I'm betting on Root out for 3 then full arse-clench mode whilst we do our best to throw it away.
Member of a clique

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:24 am

I feel like I say this after virtually every match but what a great contest, again. Remarkable stat that England's seamers took all of the wickets in the first innings and the spinners took them all in the second. Apparently that's the first time that's ever happened in Test Cricket.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:32 am

Sibley has definitely learned something on this trip.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:53 am

Good knock at the end by Sibbers but he was still out but for Umpire's Call three times in that last innings.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:34 pm

Tommy wrote:Good knock at the end by Sibbers but he was still out but for Umpire's Call three times in that last innings.

I strongly suspect a certain former poster might have had no end of opinions on this. I imagine a new nickname would have been in order.
Member of a clique

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:55 pm

Very good performances with both bat and ball from Root and Embuldeniya. The first inning bowling by Anderson was hugely important.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:07 pm

Quite looking forward to seeing Rory Burns back for India. Crawley didn't look particularly impressive on this tour. Not sure Lawrence did enough either.

Probably a defining year for Root as a Captain and a batsman. If he plays in India like he has in Sri Lanka it will at least be a contest. I suspect England will lose the away series but have a sniff at getting something at home if injuries are kind.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:57 pm

With England resting key players, Root will have to be outstanding with bat and ball for England to have a chance against the current India side but at least it will be a true test for England.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Baggy green caps and yellow bellies:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55901970

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 pm

Have we noted that the Test series against India is back on Channel 4. Good news, unless you actually end up watching it I suppose.
Member of a clique

Return to “The Square Ball”