The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: The creekit

Postby Vampire » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:40 am

Bobbycollins wrote:Unfortunately, as has just happened, Butler doesn't appear able to catch the simple chances, which are likely to occur more frequently in English conditions than the flying catches.

Buttler Fingers has already missed too many straight forward chances in this series. Some of them have been very costly - eg Masood scoring more than a hundred more after being dropped in the first test.

Missed chances can be very expensive in test cricket - not just the batter you drop but the effect on momentum in the game and the extra runs at the other end in a partnership that should have already been broken.

Looking at your keeper options, I’ve seen nothing that persuades me that Buttler Fingers will score sufficiently more runs than Foakes in test cricket to compensate for those he will cost you behind the stumps. ODIs a different matter.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:57 am

"Anderson's quest to reach 600 was again hampered by a dropped catch - wicketkeeper Jos Buttler missed Masood, the fourth chance the pace bowler has seen go down in the match."

You HAVE to have a decent goalie. Bring on Foakes.

:basket:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Nice for Jimmy,good job it didn't go wider than 1st slip as they are not bothering with any others :scratch:
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 pm

There was a spell late on today where Dom Bess and Dom Sibley were bowling to eat up the overs before the new ball and I think it might have been the shittest period of test cricket I’ve ever seen in my life. Absolutely no idea what was going on there given that Root is an above acceptable part time spinner and indeed snaffled a wicket in the next over.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:06 am

I'm a bit confused about the recruitment of Dom Bess by Yorkshire. I would have thought that if he's bowling well, he'll be playing Test cricket, thereby requiring a replacement in County matches and if he's not bowling well...

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:26 am

Dom Bess seems like a nice lad but I remain thoroughly sceptical about his long term prospects as an international cricketer.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 pm

In case anyone doesn’t know - the Poms & Sheep Shaggers T20 Cricket Team on BBC1 versus Pakistan today for the first time in two decades.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:33 am

England's bowling in the T20 series against Pakistan was at best "pie-throwing" and has failed to take a single wicket during the power play in the last three T20s. Yet we can apparently afford to leave out David Willey, who won two man of the match awards and man of the series against Ireland. Does Ed Smith actually watch any cricket?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:39 am

I was under the impression that this was very much a second string team? Aren't the likes of Roy, Stokes, Buttler and Willey among others basically a shoo-in for the WC? Mahmood and Gregory looked...well, a bit pish in the past couple of matches if we're being honest (though were still one ball away from beating Pakistan again).

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:59 pm

I dunno - Roy is injured, Stokes is absent for family reasons, Buttler has been playing in the Test series and Willey just seems to have been left out. Ed Smith gave an interview in The Cricketer in which he explained Willey's absence from the two white ball squads to play Australia "The fact is with David is that we are preferring some other people to him, and that’s a very difficult decision,” Smith explained.
“It’s, of course, very disappointing from David’s point of view, who’s playing good cricket and still has ambitions to be in all the England white-ball sides. That’s one of the unfortunate consequences of having a lot of strength in depth.
“We work hard on trying to establish strength in depth but the downside from an individual point of view is that sometimes players who have done well still can’t find a place in the squad, and that’s the situation with David".
Smith's reference to Willey still having ambitions to play white ball cricket for England, doesn't sound as though Smith regards him as a shoo-in.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Baffling if so. You have to wonder what the poor lad has done. He's been consistently good with both bat and ball basically every time he's been called upon.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:I dunno - Roy is injured, Stokes is absent for family reasons, Buttler has been playing in the Test series and Willey just seems to have been left out. Ed Smith gave an interview in The Cricketer in which he explained Willey's absence from the two white ball squads to play Australia "The fact is with David is that we are preferring some other people to him, and that’s a very difficult decision,” Smith explained.
“It’s, of course, very disappointing from David’s point of view, who’s playing good cricket and still has ambitions to be in all the England white-ball sides. That’s one of the unfortunate consequences of having a lot of strength in depth.
“We work hard on trying to establish strength in depth but the downside from an individual point of view is that sometimes players who have done well still can’t find a place in the squad, and that’s the situation with David".
Smith's reference to Willey still having ambitions to play white ball cricket for England, doesn't sound as though Smith regards him as a shoo-in.

A kick in the teeth for him to be left out in favour of Archer who has done nothing to warrant his place.
In white ball cricket Willey takes wickets and can throw the bat a decent amount.
Archer doesn't seem to offer anything other than pace and frequently fails to do that, he doesn't bat either.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:26 pm

It might seem churlish to complain given that we won the WC and had a fairly good go of it in the Ashes too but I'm still not sure about Archer. Maybe there's a player in there but I'm not sure we've seen him yet.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Tommy wrote:It might seem churlish to complain given that we won the WC and had a fairly good go of it in the Ashes too but I'm still not sure about Archer. Maybe there's a player in there but I'm not sure we've seen him yet.

It's very possible his pace will come into play in Aus and SA.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:46 pm

Tommy wrote:It might seem churlish to complain given that we won the WC and had a fairly good go of it in the Ashes too but I'm still not sure about Archer. Maybe there's a player in there but I'm not sure we've seen him yet.

He strikes me as someone who believes his own hype too much

BC

Postby BC » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Archer was absolutely excellent in the world cup. It was harsh on Willey, but certainly the right call. Willey should've taken the slot vacated by Plunkett mind. And I'd certainly have him about now.

Archer was also brilliant at Lord's and effective, but different, at Headingley. Not shown it since, but not sure where to apportion blame. Probably a mixture of himself, Root, injury and tactics.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 pm

Whilst I'm moaning in general about cricket, can anyone explain to me why the start times for T20 games with no TV coverage or crowds in attendance can't be changed to reflect local weather forecasts. Today's Yorkshire match has been abandoned without a ball bowled, although had it been played at any time during the day, the game would have been played to a conclusion. Personally I hate these evening matches, as more often than not, it's like watching cricket in mid winter, wearing six coats and watching ice form on top of your beer.

theboil

Postby theboil » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Whilst I'm moaning in general about cricket, can anyone explain to me why the start times for T20 games with no TV coverage or crowds in attendance can't be changed to reflect local weather forecasts. Today's Yorkshire match has been abandoned without a ball bowled, although had it been played at any time during the day, the game would have been played to a conclusion. Personally I hate these evening matches, as more often than not, it's like watching cricket in mid winter, wearing six coats and watching ice form on top of your beer.

spot on and still nothing done about the old chestnuts e.g. supposed bad light, very slight drizzle, umpires waiting for the clock to tick over etc.
cricket instead of continually shooting it self in the foot could get on with the bloody game.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 am

Hobgoblin of Little Minds innit.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 pm

That was one epic collapse from the cons, wow.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Return to “The Square Ball”