Re: The creekit

Postby Devi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Easily ignorable.

At 150-3 on this wicket, I’d say not.
I like it. What is it?

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:00 pm

That last wicket partnership will have been extremely demoralising for South Africa, who know that they need 600 to force a win, which given the weakness of their batting looks unlikely. I still don't understand why Butler is preferred to Bairstow, who was regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world before a disappointing Ashes series.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:That last wicket partnership will have been extremely demoralising for South Africa, who know that they need 600 to force a win, which given the weakness of their batting looks unlikely. I still don't understand why Butler is preferred to Bairstow, who was regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world before a disappointing Ashes series.

Agree re Buttler. Batting in that no.7 position and with his one day style he’ll probably get some scores when runs are already on the board and the bowling is tiring - but I don’t think you could rely on him to dig you out of a hole when the bowlers are on top. Looks a one day batsman to me.

Bairstow and Foakes look better options for test cricket. Out of the three, Bairstow is the best batter and Foakes the best gloveman. Buttler is mediocre in both disciplines at test level. Not sure why he’s in there.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 pm

Didn't they rest him for NZ, think i'm right in saying he picked up slight injury, he also went out of nick so rest ull do him good, he'll come back better for it.
Agree he's better that Buttler, I think Foakes has a good shout with his batting also, no slouch.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:39 pm

kennyb41 wrote:Didn't they rest him for NZ, think i'm right in saying he picked up slight injury, he also went out of nick so rest ull do him good, he'll come back better for it.
Agree he's better that Buttler, I think Foakes has a good shout with his batting also, no slouch.

You may be right about Foakes’ batting, Kenny, based on the little I’ve seen but it’s hard to put him above Bairstow on such a small sample. His glovework looks better though. For mine, Buttler doesn’t really cut it at test level as batter or gloveman.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Pope a good wicket keeper anyone? If so it seems like the obvious solution is right there.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:05 pm

Tommy wrote:Pope a good wicket keeper anyone? If so it seems like the obvious solution is right there.

Not sure about that as it seems like a typical England response in burdening a good young player with even more responsibility.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Foakes 100% best glovesman in this country, don't think they want to distract Popes batting whilst in early stages of nailing down his place (probably nailed now)
Bairstow should get in on his batting alone when he's in form, needs to find that again though and i think he'd benefit from Foakes being behind.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 am

Have to wonder what could have been had Mark Wood been regularly fit for the past five years. On form he’s something else. As long as he’s fit I’d have him over Archer, who still has a lot to learn.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:06 pm

Tommy wrote:Have to wonder what could have been had Mark Wood been regularly fit for the past five years. On form he’s something else. As long as he’s fit I’d have him over Archer, who still has a lot to learn.

Agreed - Archer is fast but you can't go for 5 an over in test cricket.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Lead nearing 400, so weather aside we should win this comfortably. Pitch is beginning to crack up.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Curran trying to dig himself a fucking trench - he marks the centre line with his boot on every ball.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Seemed like a strange second half to the England innings. I had expected them to grind the South Africans down until declaring after an hour tomorrow morning with a lead of around 450 but instead the batsmen appeared intent on scoring boundaries. I'm not sure about allowing South Africa to rest overnight knowing that they'll bat first thing, rather than keeping them out in the field. However it will be a major surprise not to win from here.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:Seemed like a strange second half to the England innings. I had expected them to grind the South Africans down until declaring after an hour tomorrow morning with a lead of around 450 but instead the batsmen appeared intent on scoring boundaries. I'm not sure about allowing South Africa to rest overnight knowing that they'll bat first thing, rather than keeping them out in the field. However it will be a major surprise not to win from here.

no doubt hoping for a couple of good nights out.

i was starting to wonder at 180 ish - 2 but now, yeah...

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Sky Sports failed to mention that Bavuma walked, fair play to the bloke.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 pm

ODI going well then

:roll:
I like it. What is it?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:48 pm

Saffers should be given this one for fielding a player called JJ Smuts.

Return to “The Square Ball”