The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: The creekit

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Have we just won the one toss in five this series? That's a bit shit. Australians better tossers, clearly.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Uh-oh, we're finding ways to fuck up again. And Yorkshire are about to lose their match at Somerset too...

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Every time I check we lose a wicket. I'll stop checking.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Oh God. Hoping for rain again, are we?

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:19 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Have we just won the one toss in five this series? That's a bit shit. Australians better tossers, clearly.

Yep, they're total tossers but still a lot better than us.
For every step,the footprint was already there.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Who knew Marsh was one of us?

I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:01 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Oh God. Hoping for rain again, are we?

Won't be getting any.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:13 am

Vampire wrote:Don’t understand Paine’s decision to bowl first or the selections TBH.
:roll:

And then there's also the fact that we have a slight tendency in any given game to collapse at any point of our innings, i went out at 125/2 and Root seemed to have 9 lives, what happened ?

Yip, just start praying for rain again, we're not even good at that and we're in fcking England!...Where's that fcking coward bigot Walt ? Gone AWOL again :lol: :lol: :lol:

:basket:

Must dash.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 am

kennyb41 wrote:
Vampire wrote:Don’t understand Paine’s decision to bowl first or the selections TBH.
:roll:

And then there's also the fact that we have a slight tendency in any given game to collapse at any point of our innings, i went out at 125/2 and Root seemed to have 9 lives, what happened ?

Yip, just start praying for rain again, we're not even good at that and we're in fcking England!

I still think it was a poor decision to bowl first - albeit the pommie middle order has let Paine get away with it to some extent. But the pitch looks like it will be difficult to bat on fourth dig so we’re going to need a decent first innings lead.

Overall, it seems to have been a strange day’s play. Poor decision at the toss, some poor selections by us, poor fielding, and poor batting. It has the feel of an end of long summer match.

kennyb41 wrote:Where's that fcking coward bigot Walt ? Gone AWOL again :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

Walt has no interest in cricket, Kenny. You only see him on this thread when he thinks he sees an opportunity to have a dig at me - someone he pretends to be ignoring.

He is, of course, poorly armed for a battle of wits on any thread, but whenever he appears on this one he resembles a retard with a potato gun.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am

Fck me you've just put a lovely picture in my head.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 am

According to the Sky cricket website Trevor Bayliss blames England's poor batting on the lack of flat wickets - "If we can play for longer on flatter wickets it gives batters the opportunity to bat for longer in those conditions - the best thing to do is play on those wickets as much as we possibly can at the level below so we can bat longer and get more consistent performances".

The suggestion from Bayliss seems wrong on several levels. Firstly Test cricket should involve matches in a variety of conditions - in Australia and South Africa the pitches are harder with more bounce, in India and Bangladesh the spinners are key, whilst in England the ball moves off the seam and through the air, with additional variety from the weather. Secondly England were criticised during the World Cup for having developed a flat track bully mentality by playing previous ODIs on flat pitches, such that when the World Cup authorities instructed that the pitches should have a bit more in them, England could not repeat the near 400 scores and initially struggled. Thirdly England players rarely play County Cricket as Counties are instructed not to select England players at the start of the season, the remainder of which is taken up by England games.

As has been shown by Labushagne, who played 18 innings for Glamorgan this season before becoming the only Australian after Smith who could bat, becoming accustomed to local conditions is a key factor in batting long. England (and other touring sides) start Test matches under-cooked, after preparation of which only Hockaday would approve, including a single match against a local farmers co-operative or similar.

Does Australian Shield cricket suffer from similar woes?

Strauss has a lot of work to do in his new capacity as Chair of the ECB to improve the quality of England's cricket.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:15 am

So are you saying test players should play more county cricket?
Is that they don’t down to the players, counties, ECB or ICC?

(I think they should too btw)
I like it. What is it?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:19 am

Bobbycollins wrote:Does Australian Shield cricket suffer from similar woes?

The Shield has always been a higher standard than country cricket for two reasons. First there are only six states - so the better players are spread less thinly. There’s been occasions where NSW has had half the test team playing. Second, the States seek to retain the historical characteristics of their pitches - so the players experience different conditions - for example pace and bounce in Perth and Brisbane, spin in Sydney and Adelaide.

More recently there have been concerns about declining standards in the Shield. Congested test schedules, one day and big bash means test players play less Shield. And drop in pitches threaten traditional character as we have seen at the MCG. But overall I’d say the standard is still higher than County Cricket.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:29 am

Where's that coward hiding huh...in his WAAAAAABULANCE!! .... :lol:

:mrgreen: :basket:

Must dash.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:31 am

Vampire wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:Does Australian Shield cricket suffer from similar woes?

The Shield has always been a higher standard than country cricket for two reasons. First there are only six states - so the better players are spread less thinly. There’s been occasions where NSW has had half the test team playing. Second, the States seek to retain the historical characteristics of their pitches - so the players experience different conditions - for example pace and bounce in Perth and Brisbane, spin in Sydney and Adelaide.

More recently there have been concerns about declining standards in the Shield. Congested test schedules, one day and big bash means test players play less Shield. And drop in pitches threaten traditional character as we have seen at the MCG. But overall I’d say the standard is still higher than County Cricket.

Yep, I think the way to go is to have fewer counties here too. Probably looking at a Premier League equivalent of the county game. That's if they really want to save it [and therefore the standard of our test cricket].

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

Am I alone in thinking Leach should be batting higher than no.10?

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 am

No i wanna see him opening and like i said yonks back ...GET BEN FOAKES IN !!!

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

Warner struggling like fck and seems to have totally lost his game and any sort of composure.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am

Bairstow open, Leach at 3 Root at 4.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:15 am

Repetitive, this. Aus openers hardly make it worth the effort to walk out to the middle, then we settle straight into two days of Smith and the South African scoring 500.

Return to “The Square Ball”