The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Eddies Boots

Re: The creekit

Postby Eddies Boots » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

Vampire wrote:Added to which the ICC finally getting its act together for a world championship of test cricket adds importance to any test series over the WC. The “world champions” tag of the future will more likely be applied to the winner of that rather than any ODI tournament.

You think?
It suffers from not having a big finale - unless the top 2 were to play a 5-test series in a neutral country.
And also, with the time it will take, the player turnover could be quite high, so you will lose the idea of the iconic line-up.
To me, it seems enough for England that we play the Ashes, and can potentially rise to #1 in the Test rankings at some point (again).

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Good morning for Yorkshire v Somerset. Latter 70 for 4 at lunch. Proper cricket.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:You think?
It suffers from not having a big finale - unless the top 2 were to play a 5-test series in a neutral country.
And also, with the time it will take, the player turnover could be quite high, so you will lose the idea of the iconic line-up.
To me, it seems enough for England that we play the Ashes, and can potentially rise to #1 in the Test rankings at some point (again).

Like you EB I find the notion of the World Test Championship utterly dispiriting. The joy of Test Cricket is the ebb and flow of full Test series on pitches home and away. England in the Ashes and England vs India or South Africa are ongoing and standalone competitions. There's already plenty enough information available to determine the world's top Test side at any point: the imbalance in series length; the duration; players coming in and out of form; the choice of who plays who and where renders the whole exercise meaningless.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Somerset 149 for 8 now.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am

And Yorkshire have fucked it up...

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 am

dirty leeds wrote:And Yorkshire have fucked it up...

September conditions on a dodgy wicket? 21 wickets in four sessions, makes a mockery of the county game really.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 am

Tycipa wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:And Yorkshire have fucked it up...

September conditions on a dodgy wicket? 21 wickets in four sessions, makes a mockery of the county game really.

Very fucking dodgy.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm

The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

The creekit

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 am

Tycipa wrote:https://twitter.com/markaustintv/status/1171779751364763654?s=21

Oh my word, that’s just spectacular. How the hell does the fielder have the speed and presence of mind to do that in a split second?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am

Don’t understand Paine’s decision to bowl first or the selections TBH.
:roll:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 am

Vampire wrote:Don’t understand Paine’s decision to bowl first or the selections TBH.
:roll:

Yeah I mean putting us in first and bowling us out for 150 sounds reasonable but I'd definitely want to bat first and put on 500 (probably 300 from Smith) Not sure what conditions are like?

Still Hates Gordon Watson

The creekit

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 am

BBC said pretty cloudy and muggy today then generally sunnier over the next four days. Might not be such a bad idea to bowl but fingers crossed Vamps is right [emoji3]

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 am

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:BBC said pretty cloudy and muggy today then generally sunnier over the next four days. Might not be such a bad idea to bowl but fingers crossed Vamps is right [emoji3]

Feels bright and sunny here in Forest Hill, only a couple of miles away.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:06 am

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:BBC said pretty cloudy and muggy today then generally sunnier over the next four days. Might not be such a bad idea to bowl but fingers crossed Vamps is right [emoji3]

Looks very dry underneath - will turn later. It’s a big gamble - why gamble when you’re ahead?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am

I can only think he's thinking how easy it's been to skittle us out Vamps no matter what the conditions and has confidence in his attack.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:44 am

Most amazing thing I think is that the opening partnership of 27 is the highest of the series by either side

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm

London_White wrote:Most amazing thing I think is that the opening partnership of 27 is the highest of the series by either side

Very poor that

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:01 pm

London_White wrote:Most amazing thing I think is that the opening partnership of 27 is the highest of the series by either side

If I had to be generous, I'd say that on the Aus side that's been because Warner's been particularly shit. But on our side we've been more universally shit, across the board.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:33 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:

If I had to be generous, I'd say that on the Aus side that's been because Warner's been particularly shit. But on our side we've been more universally shit, across the board.

Yep - I'd say that was generous!

Return to “The Square Ball”